  1. eli m

    eli m Guest

    How would you find the slope, y intercept, and slope-intercept form equation for a line in python?

    eli m, Feb 28, 2013

  2. eli m

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 02/27/2013 10:32 PM, eli m wrote:
    > How would you find the slope, y intercept, and slope-intercept form equation for a line in python?

    First, I'd form a more complete description of the problem. Specify
    what the overall constraints are (eg. Python version, OS portability,
    where input is to be gotten, and what the input values are to mean, how
    results are to be represented)

    Then, I'd write a series of tests, especially showing both parameters
    that will work, and parameters that should give exceptions.

    Then, I'd break the problem description into steps in a pseudo code
    form. For example, maybe get the input parameters (which are they, and
    in what order) from the command line. Validate the inputs, and make sure
    an answer is possible. Then apply this formula, and print the result.
    Apply that formula and print the result. Apply the third formula and
    print the result. Exit the program.

    Next, I'd translate that pseudo code into actual Python statements, and
    type it into a text editor.

    Then run those tests, and for each that fails, either revise the test or
    the code, depending on which is wrong.

    If you run into trouble on one of these steps, show us your work, and
    somebody will undoubtedly be able to help there.

    --
    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Feb 28, 2013

  3. On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:32:40 -0800, eli m wrote:

    > How would you find the slope, y intercept, and slope-intercept form
    > equation for a line in python?

    I would post a message to a Python forum and ask a vague question that
    gives no detail about the problem, and hope somebody answers.

    But if I actually wanted an answer, I'd give the post a sensible subject
    line, and make an effort to explain my actual problem. For instance:

    "I have an equation written as a string, like '2y - 6x + 3 = 0'. How
    should I parse the string to extract the slope and intercept from the
    equation, and re-write it in the form 'y = mx+c'?"

    Or:

    "I have a bitmap image of a line graph. How do I detect the lines in the
    image, decide which ones are the axes, and determine the slope and
    intercept of the plotted line?"

    Or:

    "How do I get the slope and intercept of a Line object from the
    FancyLinearAlegbra module I downloaded from http://some-random-place-on-
    the-internet.com?"

    Or:

    "Can somebody google the formula for slope and intercept of a line for
    me, 'cos I can't be bothered."

    The answers you get will depend on which question you actually ask.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Feb 28, 2013
  4. On 02/27/2013 08:32 PM, eli m wrote:
    > How would you find the slope, y intercept, and slope-intercept form
    > equation for a line in python?

    Well, how do you do it by hand? Once you have the basic formula or
    algorithm down, just translate it into python. Math is math. We can
    answer specific questions of course. Like, how would I represent the
    equation in python? Well put each term in a variable. For example,
    3x^2-2x+4 = 0, you would store the 3, 2, and 4 in variables. Then run
    your formula on them.

    Michael Torrie, Feb 28, 2013