Howto Override Server-Content-Type

whitedog

Just a short Q, how can i override the Content-Type which is sent
by the server...?

Background, in my apache i've used application/octet-stream
for any unspecified data (default encoding) which so far
worked great.

Now i would like to get an mpeg '12345678' into a web-page
and i read there are some weird 'object'-constructions to
embed f.ex. the windows media player.
(so far so good, i'll get this to work everytime i give the
file 12345678 the new name 12345678.mpg and/or if i switch to
encoding 'video/mpeg')
BUT this is not what i really want (because i would have to
rename lots of files or change the nice behaviour of my apache
which will produce other problems then and i'm not willing to
embed plain windows-stuff in platform-independent context...)

I would like to have something like
swin=open(windowstuff,emptywin)
swin.'Content-Type'='video/mpeg'
swin.content='http://somewhere/12345678'
It shall be everything ok which then starts
anykind of installed mediaplayer with mpeg-capability,
if in that window or not just the same,
but don't ask the user everytime what
to do with that stream because the client-OS should now
better than me what application is installed locally
for viewing video/mpeg...

(even more remarkable. i've realized that f.ex my win2k additionally
adds a number counting up each time i'll open the stream, so
anything i'll use as 'standard-application' will ask again and
download again because its now named different...
12345678-2, 12345678-3, etc.pp.)

how weird.

is there no break-out of the 8*.3??? am i still living in stone-age
and didn't realize so far?? ;))

anyone a good idea, hint clue or experienced something similar??

thanks in advance!!

bjoern.

ps: working with opera and gecko... msie not necessarily... :)