howto receive and *understand* via UDP

Richard

Doug said:
Yes, clc is a pretty hostile environment. I try not to post here;
sometimes my boredom gets the better of me, but I always regret it,
every time. I don't mind being corrected, best way to learn is to
learn from your mishtakes; but the manner in which those corrections
are delivered here is, frankly, not useful.

Once you weed out the spam and the obvious homework and i = i++ + i++
questions, there's not much here. New posters seldom reply, and a
large portion that do are quickly chewed up. I can't help but feel
this place would be a lot more active and useful and people left their
egos at the door. Ahem, modem.

It annoys me that a useful resource is being misused in this way, but
I don't really see any way to fix it. I'll already be flamed to hell
and back for this post, and will, again, regret it in the morning
(along with the hangover).

Doug

Yup, there you have it. Nearly always the same old stuff with the "regs"
racing each other to be the first to trash a nOOb or tell them they
should "rtfm" occasionally. Really, quite a unique group in many, many
ways. Additionally, the adoption of a pseudo intellectual flowery English in an
attempt to promote a slightly eccentric genius image by more than one of
the regulars frequently causes me to pause and chuckle knowingly to
myself.

santosh

Doug said:
Yes, clc is a pretty hostile environment.

IME Usenet in general is a pretty hostile environment, depending on how
exactly you happen to define hostile.

Try posting a HLA related question in <The abuse you
will receive is much worse than any that I have ever seen here.

Each Usenet group seems to have at least one troll. Many seem to host
scarcely anyone _other_ than trolls. A large number of Usenet groups I
checked out are either hijacked or spammed beyond use or filled with
hostile trolls.

In such a environment it is a credit to this group that it continues to
be a useful place for discussions on C. As such our "trolls" can be
counted on the fingers of one hand, and are not particularly virulent
either.
I try not to post here;
sometimes my boredom gets the better of me, but I always regret it,
every time. I don't mind being corrected, best way to learn is to
learn from your mishtakes; but the manner in which those corrections
are delivered here is, frankly, not useful.

I agree that many replies to off-topic questions are curt, but I don't
see anything that you could label as hostile or downright rude.

There _is_ however, off late, more than normal bickering on topicality,
netiquette and between RJH and JN, but oh well...
Once you weed out the spam and the obvious homework and i = i++ + i++
questions, there's not much here.

I disagree. I can count three threads right now which are quite
interesting and useful (at least to me). They aren't what you'd
call "model" discussions, but a number of posts from many of the
regulars are quite informative.
New posters seldom reply,

This seems to be true for most other groups too.
and a large portion that do are quickly chewed up.

Chewed up!? I think you may be over-exaggerating matters.
I can't help but feel this place would be a lot more active and useful
and people left their egos at the door. Ahem, modem.

It annoys me that a useful resource is being misused in this way, but
I don't really see any way to fix it. I'll already be flamed to hell
and back for this post, and will, again, regret it in the morning
(along with the hangover).

As I am replying, you have already received three replies on my server,
none of which I'd call a flame.

YMMV of course.

Antoninus Twink

Yes, clc is a pretty hostile environment. I try not to post here;
sometimes my boredom gets the better of me, but I always regret it,
every time. I don't mind being corrected, best way to learn is to
learn from your mishtakes; but the manner in which those corrections
are delivered here is, frankly, not useful.

Once you weed out the spam and the obvious homework and i = i++ + i++
questions, there's not much here. New posters seldom reply, and a
large portion that do are quickly chewed up. I can't help but feel
this place would be a lot more active and useful and people left their
egos at the door. Ahem, modem.

It annoys me that a useful resource is being misused in this way, but
I don't really see any way to fix it. I'll already be flamed to hell
and back for this post, and will, again, regret it in the morning
(along with the hangover).

One word: Heathfieldization.

Chad

Yes, clc is a pretty hostile environment. I try not to post here;
sometimes my boredom gets the better of me, but I always regret it,
every time. I don't mind being corrected, best way to learn is to
learn from your mishtakes; but the manner in which those corrections
are delivered here is, frankly, not useful.

I agree that some of the response arent't that useful. I think the one
that irks me the most is when a person posts an off topic question in
this place and someone responds "This isn't part of the C Language." I
want to respond "Well gosh golly, could you at least direct the person
to the appropriate newsgroup."

It's like when you go the grocery store and you are looking for soup.
You might be over in the canned food section, but you can't seem to
find what you are looking for. You then see a clerk and ask him for
help. You expect the clerk either show you were the item is in that
isle or you expect him to direct you to the correct isle. You don't
expect him respond "Good Sir, the soup isn't in this isle" and then
just walk away. No, you expect him to direct you to the correct area.

I think the same idea should be applied when a person posts an off
topic question here. But that is just my biased opinion.
Once you weed out the spam and the obvious homework and i = i++ + i++
questions, there's not much here. New posters seldom reply, and a
large portion that do are quickly chewed up. I can't help but feel
this place would be a lot more active and useful and people left their
egos at the door. Ahem, modem.

There is a lot of magical information that floats around here. Some of
it more magical than others.
It annoys me that a useful resource is being misused in this way, but
I don't really see any way to fix it. I'll already be flamed to hell
and back for this post, and will, again, regret it in the morning
(along with the hangover).

Many of the worlds resources are misused. I think one of my friends
summed up his view on abusing nature the best.

"**** the environment, I want convenience."

J. J. Farrell

Chad said:

I agree that some of the response arent't that useful. I think the one
that irks me the most is when a person posts an off topic question in
this place and someone responds "This isn't part of the C Language." I
want to respond "Well gosh golly, could you at least direct the person
to the appropriate newsgroup."

The vast majority of responses to off-topic posts do suggest more
appropriate newsgroups. There's usually one reply from a troll which
says nothing useful, and occasionally others which don't suggest
alternatives, but most do when the poster knows of such alternatives.
It's like when you go the grocery store and you are looking for soup.
You might be over in the canned food section, but you can't seem to
find what you are looking for. You then see a clerk and ask him for
help. You expect the clerk either show you were the item is in that
isle or you expect him to direct you to the correct isle. You don't
expect him respond "Good Sir, the soup isn't in this isle" and then
just walk away. No, you expect him to direct you to the correct area.

That's a totally inappropriate comparison. It's an important part of a
shop clerk's role to help customers spend money in the shop as a whole,
and encourage them to return to use other parts of the shop. It is not
the responsibility of readers of a newsgroup to know about and direct
people to other parts of Usenet. A better comparison would be someone
going into a greengrocer and asking them to repair his roof. The
shopkeeper might choose to be helpful and look up a list of builders for
him, but I suspect he'd be more likely to ask after his sanity.
I think the same idea should be applied when a person posts an off
topic question here. But that is just my biased opinion.

Then why not do so instead of saying what other people should do?

Chris Dollin

Richard said:
Yup, there you have it. Nearly always the same old stuff with the "regs"
racing each other to be the first to trash a nOOb or tell them they
should "rtfm" occasionally. Really, quite a unique group in many, many
ways. Additionally, the adoption of a pseudo intellectual flowery English in an
attempt to promote a slightly eccentric genius image by more than one of
the regulars frequently causes me to pause and chuckle knowingly to
myself.

I must be skipping the posts in which someone does that. But I do
see some posts containing unwise attempts to guess motivations.

Richard

Chris Dollin said:
I must be skipping the posts in which someone does that. But I do

You must be since it is a very regular occurrence. Usually when people
are jumping in on top of Jacob after a certain individual has cast scorn
on his suggestions once more. You probably have the threads killed by then.
see some posts containing unwise attempts to guess motivations.

We all see many things. Some true. Some not so.

Chris Dollin

Richard said:
You must be since it is a very regular occurrence. Usually when people
are jumping in on top of Jacob after a certain individual has cast scorn
on his suggestions once more. You probably have the threads killed by then.

Not killed -- skipped. Presumably you have examples to hand, since they
happen so regularly, and can quote or cite them.
We all see many things. Some true. Some not so.

Posts are mostly not boolean.

Richard

Chris Dollin said:
Not killed -- skipped. Presumably you have examples to hand, since they
happen so regularly, and can quote or cite them.

What you read into posts would undoubtedly be different from
myself. Google for "indeed" in this group for some fine samples. If you
haven't noticed them then I doubt I will be able to lift the veil. You
appear to take everything as fairly "black and white" so I suspect that
subtle innuendo and deference might not be immediately apparent to you.
Posts are mostly not boolean.

QED

"not so" indicating "not so true" indicating some leverage. And no, we
don't need someone reminding us that "not so true" is false in C ....

Chris Dollin

Richard said:
What you read into posts would undoubtedly be different from
myself. Google for "indeed" in this group for some fine samples.

I did, and I didn't see anything that looked in the least like "pseudo
intellectual flowery English"; since I'm disinclined to search further
for things that might well not be the examples you had in mind, it's
over to you.
If you
haven't noticed them then I doubt I will be able to lift the veil. You
appear to take everything as fairly "black and white" so I suspect that
subtle innuendo and deference might not be immediately apparent to you.

You may picture me laughing hilariously; invent your own reasons.
(fx:hilarity)

"not so" indicating "not so true" indicating some leverage.

That may have been what you /meant/, but it's not the obvious
meaning of what you /wrote/; it's its negation.

Independently of /that/, giving booleans some leeway doesn't make
posts [substantially] more boolean.
And no, we
don't need someone reminding us that "not so true" is false in C ....

Unless there are some macros around, it's not false, it's a constraint
error.

CBFalconer

Chris said:
.... snip ...

--
+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \

fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences
that are worse than the original problem. Usage: "Windows ME
fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows 98 SE". - Hutchinson