hpricot

fabsy

Hey.. I just installed hpricot but it acts strange..
I tried an example from
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/wiki/HpricotBasics but it
didn't work.. It just gave me "test.rb:1: parse error, unexpected
tIDENTIFIER, expecting $"...

After that i tried ruby -ropen-uri -e
'eval(open("http://balloon.hobix.com/hpricot").read)' and it launched
the script on that page without any problems..
I tried to copy that script and pasted it into my texteditor to just
try to launch it but it gave me the :

"test.rb:1: parse error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting $
puts "You may use XPath (//span[@class='entryPermalink']) or CSS
selectors (spanendlements.each { |ele| pp ele } }t? [h/I]? "ts found."

What does that mean? And why doesn't it work? I followed the steps from
:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger

Chris Gehlker

Hey.. I just installed hpricot but it acts strange..
I tried an example from
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/wiki/HpricotBasics but it
didn't work.. It just gave me "test.rb:1: parse error, unexpected
tIDENTIFIER, expecting $"...

Maybe you better show us your actual code. There are several examples
on that page.

Look at this:

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'
doc = Hpricot(open("http://qwantz.com/"))
(doc/"p/a/img").each do |img|
puts img.attributes['class']
end

It works although it doesn't actually find and image with a 'class'
attribute.

fabsy

Chris Gehlker skrev:
Hey.. I just installed hpricot but it acts strange..
I tried an example from
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/wiki/HpricotBasics but it
didn't work.. It just gave me "test.rb:1: parse error, unexpected
tIDENTIFIER, expecting $"...

Maybe you better show us your actual code. There are several examples
on that page.

Look at this:

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'
doc = Hpricot(open("http://qwantz.com/"))
(doc/"p/a/img").each do |img|
puts img.attributes['class']
end

It works although it doesn't actually find and image with a 'class'
attribute.

Im getting the same error with the code you pasted..

Chris Gehlker

Chris Gehlker skrev:
Hey.. I just installed hpricot but it acts strange..
I tried an example from
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/wiki/HpricotBasics but it
didn't work.. It just gave me "test.rb:1: parse error, unexpected
tIDENTIFIER, expecting $"...

Maybe you better show us your actual code. There are several examples
on that page.

Look at this:

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'
doc = Hpricot(open("http://qwantz.com/"))
(doc/"p/a/img").each do |img|
puts img.attributes['class']
end

It works although it doesn't actually find and image with a 'class'
attribute.

Im getting the same error with the code you pasted..

Weird,

I'm running ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-18) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0] with
Hpricot 0.4.43 and I just cut and pasted the above code. It still
works. I'm stumped.

fabsy

Chris Gehlker skrev:
Chris Gehlker skrev:
On Aug 18, 2006, at 7:00 AM, fabsy wrote:

[...]

I'ts really strange.. It works in irb but not when im pasting in in a
..rb file..
Maby I should re-install it?

Chris Gehlker

I'ts really strange.. It works in irb but not when im pasting in in a
.rb file..
Maby I should re-install it?

Maybe. It seems to me that if it weren't installed correctly it
wouldn't work in irb either but I can't think of anything better to try.

fabsy

Chris Gehlker skrev:
Maybe. It seems to me that if it weren't installed correctly it
wouldn't work in irb either but I can't think of anything better to try.

Yeah.. re-installed it but i still get the same error..

I just pasted:

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'

doc = Hpricot(open("http://qwantz.com/"))
(doc/"p/a/img").each do |img|
puts img.attributes['class']
end

into a file and tried to run it.. It gave me the
"hej.rb:1: parse error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting $
require 'open-uri'"

But it still works when i paste it directly into irb..

Chris Gehlker

Why is it saying parse error on line 1 if "require 'open-uri'" is
on line 3 of your example?
How are you running the file?

I think maybe Justin is on to something here. Could your editor be
messing up the end-of-lines? I'm using TextMate and not having any
problems.

phrogz

fabsy said:
I just pasted:

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'

doc = Hpricot(open("http://qwantz.com/"))
(doc/"p/a/img").each do |img|
puts img.attributes['class']
end

into a file and tried to run it.. It gave me the
"hej.rb:1: parse error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting $
require 'open-uri'"

Smells like you've got a line-endings problem.

fabsy

(e-mail address removed) skrev:
fabsy said:
I just pasted:

require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'
require 'open-uri'

doc = Hpricot(open("http://qwantz.com/"))
(doc/"p/a/img").each do |img|
puts img.attributes['class']
end

into a file and tried to run it.. It gave me the
"hej.rb:1: parse error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting $
require 'open-uri'"

Smells like you've got a line-endings problem.

Aah!
I got a new texteditor and it works like a charm!
Thank you guys..