    AddType application/octet-stream msi

    for msi file type, is coding for wav similar?

    , Jan 16, 2006

  2. Philip Ronan Guest

    wrote:

    > Currently when I link to a Wave file using a <A href> tag it is
    > downloaded into the browser page and played by Quicktime. I would like
    > to give the user an option of either saving or opening the file, as
    > happens eg when a ZIP file is downloaded.

    The user already has this option. You don't need to do anything else.

    --
    philronan [@] blueyonder [dot] co [dot] uk

    Philip Ronan, Jan 16, 2006

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:22:44 GMT, Philip Ronan
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Currently when I link to a Wave file using a <A href> tag it is
    >> downloaded into the browser page and played by Quicktime. I would like
    >> to give the user an option of either saving or opening the file, as
    >> happens eg when a ZIP file is downloaded.

    >The user already has this option. You don't need to do anything else.

    Yes, I realise the user already has the option of right clicking on
    the Quicktime object and saving to local disk. The question is whether
    the behaviour can be set to show the "run or save" dialog which is
    customary with ZIP files etc.

    , Jan 16, 2006
  4. On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:22:44 GMT, Philip Ronan
    > >
    > >The user already has this option. You don't need to do anything else.

    > Yes, I realise the user already has the option of right clicking on
    > the Quicktime object and saving to local disk.

    How they invoke it depends on the browser and on its settings. Your
    job is to honestly describe the content which you're offering.

    > The question is whether the behaviour can be set to show the "run or
    > save" dialog which is customary with ZIP files etc.

    If that's your question, then mine would be "how do I configure my
    browser to avoid this kind of interference by inconsiderate authors?"

    If the user's browser consents to it, /your/ answer is the
    "Content-disposition" header. Look it up for details. I still say
    that Philip is right, and your job as a considerate author is to
    honestly describe your content-type, not to try to second-guess what a
    user might want to do with it.

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Toby Inkster Guest

    me wrote:

    > Currently when I link to a Wave file using a <A href> tag it is
    > downloaded into the browser page and played by Quicktime. I would like
    > to give the user an option of either saving or opening the file, as
    > happens eg when a ZIP file is downloaded.

    ZIP up your WAV file.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Rob McAninch Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote in
    <news:5n.co.uk> :

    > me wrote:
    >
    >> Currently when I link to a Wave file using a <A href> tag it
    >> is downloaded into the browser page and played by Quicktime.
    >> I would like to give the user an option of either saving or
    >> opening the file, as happens eg when a ZIP file is
    >> downloaded.

    As stated, they already have the option.

    > ZIP up your WAV file.

    Typically a binary file compresses little. The user may or may
    not have a utility to unzip the file. And for all we know the
    user may have a zip utility configured as a plug-in to unzip the
    file on the fly.

    This question has been beaten to death, the merits and the
    caveats.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?
    as_q=force+a+file+download&as_ugroup=alt.html

    (Get that all on one line.)
    --
    Rob McAninch
    http://rock13.com

    Rob McAninch, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Toby Inkster Guest

    Rob McAninch wrote:

    > Typically a binary file compresses little.

    Not true. Typically already-compressed files, such as JPEGs or MP3s
    compress very little. An uncompressed WAV file though contains vast
    swathes of repetitive bytes, so will zip up quite well -- usually to about
    40% of the original size. (This of course depends on the recording: white
    noise will barely compress at all; a recording of silence will probably
    compress to about 10% of its original size, or less; music and spoken word
    would be somewhere in between.)

    Besides which, I wasn't recommending zipping the WAV file for the purpose
    of making it smaller, but rather to encourage the visitor's browser to
    offer a "Save As" dialogue box when downloading the file.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 17, 2006
  8. Matt Clara Guest

    "Rob McAninch" <> wrote in message
    > Toby Inkster <> wrote in
    > <news:5n.co.uk> :
    >
    > > me wrote:
    > >
    > >> Currently when I link to a Wave file using a <A href> tag it
    > >> is downloaded into the browser page and played by Quicktime.
    > >> I would like to give the user an option of either saving or
    > >> opening the file, as happens eg when a ZIP file is
    > >> downloaded.

    > As stated, they already have the option.
    >
    > > ZIP up your WAV file.

    > Typically a binary file compresses little. The user may or may
    > not have a utility to unzip the file. And for all we know the
    > user may have a zip utility configured as a plug-in to unzip the
    > file on the fly.
    >
    > This question has been beaten to death, the merits and the
    > caveats.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?
    > as_q=force+a+file+download&as_ugroup=alt.html
    >
    > (Get that all on one line.)

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=force a file download&as_ugroup=alt.ht
    ml>

    --