    Firefox can handle being send to then from my webserver application.
    Thanks

    , Feb 22, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I generate html reports. Is there a limit to the file size that IE or
    > Firefox can handle being send to then from my webserver application.

    The largest HTML file I've opened with Firefox was 22M (all HTML, no
    images); I suspect it can handle larger but I really don't know. That
    said, the technical limit of these browsers is probably higher than the
    *practical* limit. Do you think your users want to open gigantic HTML
    files that eat up all of the memory in the computer and tax the browser
    so much that scrolling around in them is like wading through taffy? If
    it stresses the browser, it will probably also annoy your users.

    If you have reports that are potentially so large I encourage you to
    consider breaking them up into more manageable chunks.

    Sorry for not answering your question directly. =)

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

    Nikita the Spider, Feb 23, 2007

    On Feb 23, 6:02 am, Nikita the Spider <>
    wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > wrote:
    > > I generate html reports. Is there a limit to the file size that IE or
    > > Firefox can handle being send to then from my webserver application.

    > The largest HTML file I've opened with Firefox was 22M (all HTML, no
    > images); I suspect it can handle larger but I really don't know. That
    > said, the technical limit of these browsers is probably higher than the
    > *practical* limit. Do you think your users want to open gigantic HTML
    > files that eat up all of the memory in the computer and tax the browser
    > so much that scrolling around in them is like wading through taffy? If
    > it stresses the browser, it will probably also annoy your users.
    >
    > If you have reports that are potentially so large I encourage you to
    > consider breaking them up into more manageable chunks.
    >
    > Sorry for not answering your question directly. =)
    >
    > --
    > Philiphttp://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    > Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more

    Thank you, your answer is spot on and I agree 100%.

    , Feb 23, 2007
  4. Nikita the Spider wrote:

    > The largest HTML file I've opened with Firefox was 22M (all HTML, no
    > images)

    And that was a short, three line document created with Microsoft Publisher. ;-)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 23, 2007
  5. Philip Baker Guest

    In article <>,
    writes
    >I generate html reports. Is there a limit to the file size that IE or
    >Firefox can handle being send to then from my webserver application.
    >Thanks

    It basically depends on the amount of available RAM and the power of the
    processor. I doubt there is much difference between browsers. If you are
    going to have very large files avoid the arbitrarily large nesting of
    structures.

    Project Gutenberg appears to go up to around 6M. That might be an
    indicator of a reasonable upper limit.
    --
    Philip Baker
    PJB Software