HTML FORM timeout on send

Jauss

Hi every body.

I've got a strange problem with sending a form with a lot of data inside :

in the form, there is 300 hidden input type.
When I use a DSL connexion, everything is fine and my form is sent
correctly.
But, with a RTC connexion (low bandwith), the form cannot be sent. It's like
there is a timeout or something like this.It works with 15 hidden input, but
if there is more, the form cannot be sent.
The only error message is that the webside cannot be found.

Does any body know why i cannot send a form with a lot of input with low
connexion ? and why it work with a high speed connexion ?
And how can i find a work arround ?

thanks for any help :)

Toby Inkster

Jauss said:
in the form, there is 300 hidden input type.
When I use a DSL connexion, everything is fine and my form is sent
correctly.
But, with a RTC connexion (low bandwith), the form cannot be sent.

You are probably right -- it's probably a time out. Unfortunately there's
nothing that you as a developer can do to combat that -- it's a
combination of settings at both client- and server-side that will
determine how long a page has before it times out.

What are you doing with this huge form? There may be another way.

Hywel Jenkins

Jauss said:
Hi every body.

I've got a strange problem with sending a form with a lot of data inside :

in the form, there is 300 hidden input type.

Why? If they're hidden, the values are either already known or you're
using some sort of client-side scripting to update them as the user
works through the page. Either way, let the server deal with whatever
sets those values. If they're known in advance but are unique to each
visitor, use a session, even a cookie. If user input sets the values,
move the processing to the server.

Jauss

hi :)

My probleme is that i need to retrive datas from a client connectiong to the
first ASP Web server.
Then, I would like to transmit those datas to another ASP Web server on
another computer.
I can't use Session because there is 2 web server, and so, 2 session.

That's why i wanted to tranmit data from the first web server to the second
one using forms.
The user don't have to set any datas in the form. A script retrieve those
data to send them to the second server, that's why i cannot
move the processing to the second server. I have to use those 2 servers.

thanks anyway, If you have any idea....

SpaceGirl

Jauss said:
hi :)

My probleme is that i need to retrive datas from a client connectiong to the
first ASP Web server.
Then, I would like to transmit those datas to another ASP Web server on
another computer.
I can't use Session because there is 2 web server, and so, 2 session.

That's why i wanted to tranmit data from the first web server to the second
one using forms.
The user don't have to set any datas in the form. A script retrieve those
data to send them to the second server, that's why i cannot
move the processing to the second server. I have to use those 2 servers.

thanks anyway, If you have any idea....

Dont think you can do that anyway - one server cannot just post data to
another via a client (browser) - it would breach the security model.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

SpaceGirl
Dont think you can do that anyway - one server cannot just post data to
another via a client (browser) - it would breach the security model.

I think that the OP's scenario is this: User points her browser at a page on
server A, page contains a bunch of data in hidden form fields. User clicks
submit button on form, form is sent to server B with all that hidden data.

This is a very odd way of doing things.

Message to OP: You are of course using method=post aren't you. Get has a
size limitation because of the arbitrary limitation on the length of a URI.
You may be running into this and misinterpreting the error codes.

Jauss

hi,

i know that "get" is 255 char limited.

I'm using method="post".
With a DSL connexion it's working very fine, with large forms, but not with
low speed connexion.
I'm not misinterpreting the error message.
When i submit the form, the client is waiting to the server to answer ...
and nothing.
After a while, the web browser say that the web side cannot be reached
because it doesn't have any response.
It's a very strange problem... But i know the web side is working, because
it's working with small form, but not with large forms.
that's why i think it's a timeout... but i don't know where... :(

Jauss

Dont think you can do that anyway - one server cannot just post data to
another via a client (browser) - it would breach the security model.

The Client will create a form using data from the 1st web server (from
database for exemple) and post it
the to another asp file on the second web server. Both of servers need
authentification.
that's why i thought that forms was a good way for the client to send datas
to the second web server.

i don't think it's a bad way ... why not post a form to another website ?

rf

Jauss wrote

Please do not top post.
i know that "get" is 255 char limited.

It not 255, its about 2000 or so, browser, server and platform dependant.
I'm using method="post".
Good.

With a DSL connexion it's working very fine, with large forms, but not with
low speed connexion.

You mention 300 fields. Just how "large" is this form? How much data is
there, in bytes?

Hmmm. Thinks...Can the browser time out?

The browser would assemble the HTTP request and then shove it over to the
TCP/IP stack and start waiting. The big question is when does it start
waiting, from when the stack accepts the request or from when the stack has
completed the send? There is also the question of how much the stack is
willing to buffer. If it buffers then entire request then the browser may
just get that accept immediately.

This needs a few programs to be written to explore exactly when these events
happen, something that is unfortunately beyond the scope of this thread. I
have code laying around (in fact am currently working on some) that does
TCP/IP transactions and could be convinced to give us the answer but I'll
wait. Maybe somebody *knows* the answer already. We do have unknowns here.
The biggest one being what the browser does internally.

I think that given the right circumstances if the TCP/IP stack takes a long
time (for whatever reason) to complete the send then yes, the browser may
erroneously determine that there is nobody listening and timeout.

As I said before this is a rather odd way of doing things. You are sending
all of this data as "baggage" down to your user and back up from the user to
the other server.

Why not just cause the second server to request the data from the first
server directly[1]. After all, they *are* on very fast connections and you
don't then waste the users time on the "baggage".

[1] this could be done quite simply by having the second server issue the
same HTTP request on the first server as your user does at present, to
retrieve the page from the first server, that is.

Second server gets an HTML page, decodes the information out of that page.
You could even invent your own "data packet" format. You could even invent
your own private protocol for this transfer.

The application I mentioned above that I'm working on has done just that. A
proprietary layer above TCP/IP for inter machine communication, not HTTP,
not FTP. It's actually called MOS. Exchanges XML messages with a proprietary
doctype.

brucie

in post: <
Jauss said:
i know that "get" is 255 char limited.

HTTP1.1 says it puts no limit on the length of GET and servers should be
able to handle it but if they cant return a 414. apache handles up to
8190 as default.

but browsers do impose limits (approxes):

IE<3 == 1k
IE3+ == 2k
opera<3.2 == 250
opera 3.2 == 500
opera 3.5+ == 4k
mozilla == 8k

please don't toppost, it upsets the little voices.

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

rf

brucie wrote:

Yo brucie, you're back! Well come, sir :)

We've been *trying* to keep the shop in order for you.

There was this poster with whom I was conversing, got cranky with me :-(

Said:
<q>
So far, the only person here from whom I've learned anything at all is
brucie.
</q>

I promised I'd tell you about this.

Thread is just up/down a bit, "Yet another problem with Netscape".

<g>
Could this be correct? I mean, could said poster have actually *learned*
something from you?
</g>

Nice new sig :)

brucie

in post: <
rf said:
Yo brucie, you're back!

nope, i just popped in for a quick look
We've been *trying* to keep the shop in order for you.

i'm sure everyone has done an admirable job.
There was this poster with whom I was conversing, got cranky with me :-(

only one?
Said:
<q>
So far, the only person here from whom I've learned anything at all is
brucie.

did they mention its illegal just about everywhere? some even consider
it a crime against humanity and it really ruins the curtains.
I promised I'd tell you about this.

consider me told
<g>
Could this be correct? I mean, could said poster have actually *learned*
something from you?
</g>

i'm really surprised they survived to tell you about it.
Nice new sig :)

i stopped taking my meds

Arondelle

brucie said:
did they mention its illegal just about everywhere? some even consider
it a crime against humanity and it really ruins the curtains.

Everything that's fun is illegal in Amerika, especially if it comes off
the internet.

The curtains were crap anyway: no one can tell the difference.

I am feeling MUCH better now....

Arondelle

Hywel

hi :)

My probleme is that i need to retrive datas from a client connectiong to the
first ASP Web server.
Then, I would like to transmit those datas to another ASP Web server on
another computer.
I can't use Session because there is 2 web server, and so, 2 session.

Have the site pass a GUID from the first to the second server. Use that
GUID to identify the data on the first server, write a script that will
query the database, and build an XML document. Have the second server
connect via HTTP to the first server's XML creation script to retrieve
the XML document for parsing. Easy bosh.