    guidance/tips/advice/learning you can provide would be much
    appreciated. Thanks,

    Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)

    Joe Magiera, Oct 24, 2011

  2. Joe Magiera

    123Jim Guest

    On 24/10/2011 19:08, Joe Magiera wrote:
    > I'm a very basic .html user, and I don't use any extra tools either.
    > I pretty much just write plain html code in MS Notepad. Please keep
    > that in mind if you think you can help.
    >
    > I have a fairly simple, but somewhat lengthy MS Excel table that I'd
    > like to display on a web page. I've written some pretty simple .html
    > tables, but I'd like to import the MS Excel table into html without
    > having to code all the html around it. I believe I can just save the
    > Excel file as an html file and that will solve that. One thing I
    > would like to do though is to "freeze" the Excel column titles, i.e.,
    > the top 1 or 2 rows of the file, so that when the user scrolls through
    > the table, the column titles will stay present. I know this is
    > possible because I've seen it, but I have no idea how to do this. Any
    > guidance/tips/advice/learning you can provide would be much
    > appreciated. Thanks,

    This looks useful:
    http://anaturb.net/csstips/sheader.htm

    I recommend you use use LibreOffice or OpenOffice to convert your
    Spreadsheet to HTML instead of Excel as it produces cleaner mark-up

    123Jim, Oct 24, 2011

  3. 24.10.2011 21:08, Joe Magiera wrote:

    > I have a fairly simple, but somewhat lengthy MS Excel table that I'd
    > like to display on a web page.

    Are you sure you want to do that, instead of letting people extract the
    data they want from it? Generally, a decent query form is better than
    bulky data, though more complicated to set up (especially the data
    retrieval part server-side).

    > I've written some pretty simple .html
    > tables, but I'd like to import the MS Excel table into html without
    > having to code all the html around it.

    I'm afraid there's no really simple way. You would need to save the data
    as Tab Separated Values for example, then convert that to simple HTML,
    and use some general HTML and CSS code to dealt with the explanations
    and presentation. The following dusty old page might be of some help:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/TSV.html

    > I believe I can just save the
    > Excel file as an html file and that will solve that.

    No, it will create just a bunch of problems - the newer the Excel
    version, the more extensive the problems. You can see this if you try
    that and test the result in various browsing conditions. If you look at
    the source, be prepared to getting shocked.

    > One thing I
    > would like to do though is to "freeze" the Excel column titles

    It seems that the "HTML" vomited by Excel, despite being complex and
    messy, does not even try to address that issue, even in an IE-dependent
    manner.

    There are various ways to freeze a table row in HTML and CSS, but they
    all have drawbacks. I'll try to dig my archives to find out what might
    be the most reasonable way.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 26, 2011
  4. Helpful person, Oct 26, 2011
  5. Joe Magiera

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <j891lp$gnl$>, says...

    > 24.10.2011 21:08, Joe Magiera wrote:
    >
    > > I have a fairly simple, but somewhat lengthy MS Excel table that I'd
    > > like to display on a web page.

    > Are you sure you want to do that, instead of letting people extract the
    > data they want from it? Generally, a decent query form is better than
    > bulky data, though more complicated to set up (especially the data
    > retrieval part server-side).
    >
    > > I've written some pretty simple .html
    > > tables, but I'd like to import the MS Excel table into html without
    > > having to code all the html around it.

    > I'm afraid there's no really simple way. You would need to save the data
    > as Tab Separated Values for example, then convert that to simple HTML,
    > and use some general HTML and CSS code to dealt with the explanations
    > and presentation. The following dusty old page might be of some help:
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/TSV.html
    >
    > > I believe I can just save the
    > > Excel file as an html file and that will solve that.

    > No, it will create just a bunch of problems - the newer the Excel
    > version, the more extensive the problems. You can see this if you try
    > that and test the result in various browsing conditions. If you look at
    > the source, be prepared to getting shocked.
    >
    > > One thing I
    > > would like to do though is to "freeze" the Excel column titles

    > It seems that the "HTML" vomited by Excel, despite being complex and
    > messy, does not even try to address that issue, even in an IE-dependent
    > manner.
    >
    > There are various ways to freeze a table row in HTML and CSS, but they
    > all have drawbacks. I'll try to dig my archives to find out what might
    > be the most reasonable way.

    Have you looked at
    http://anaturb.net/csstips/sheader.htm ?

    Ray_Net, Oct 26, 2011
  6. 26.10.2011 23:20, Ray_Net burped:

    > Have you looked at
    > http://anaturb.net/csstips/sheader.htm ?

    After a comprehensive quote, signalling lack of comprehesive reading,
    the expectations are not very high, but 20 markup errors still surprise
    a little. Not to mention the lack of anything relevant to the question.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 26, 2011
  7. "Joe Magiera" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a very basic .html user, and I don't use any extra tools either.
    > I pretty much just write plain html code in MS Notepad. Please keep
    > that in mind if you think you can help.
    >
    > I have a fairly simple, but somewhat lengthy MS Excel table that I'd
    > like to display on a web page. I've written some pretty simple .html
    > tables, but I'd like to import the MS Excel table into html without
    > having to code all the html around it. I believe I can just save the
    > Excel file as an html file and that will solve that. One thing I
    > would like to do though is to "freeze" the Excel column titles, i.e.,
    > the top 1 or 2 rows of the file, so that when the user scrolls through
    > the table, the column titles will stay present. I know this is
    > possible because I've seen it, but I have no idea how to do this. Any
    > guidance/tips/advice/learning you can provide would be much
    > appreciated. Thanks,
    >
    > Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)

    I think that you should find just a programmer, who does
    it's work not very expensevly and this way solve your problems here.

    Kristjan

    Kristjan Robam, Jan 5, 2012