HTML table border - has anyone seen this happen before?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by throat.wobbler.mangrove@gmail.com, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I don't know if anyone's come across this before.

    My HTML table...
    ....is displaying the following strange behaviour in the bottom-left
    corner. Whereas most corners are fine, the bottom-left one has a slight
    overhang as shown below...

    ------
    | |
    +-----

    ....where the cross shows where the overhang is, if you imagine the
    other three corners as being perfect.

    Does anybody know if there's any way of avoiding this? Some things I've
    found or speculated so far...

    1. Clicking 'refresh' seems to temporarily remove the overhang and make
    the corner appear normal, although the next time the page is loaded
    it's back again.

    2. If the border size is increased to 2 it seems to solve it, however
    this size is too thick for what I want, but at least this narrows the
    problem down to only tables with a border of '1'.

    Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.
    , Nov 24, 2006

    I should maybe just clarify - the 'overhang' does actually look like a
    cross, where the lines seem to just extend a bit too far.

    i.e.

    +---
    , Nov 24, 2006

  3. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > My HTML table...

    [snip]

    > ------
    > | |
    > +-----
    >
    > ...where the cross shows where the overhang is, if you imagine the
    > other three corners as being perfect.
    >
    > Does anybody know if there's any way of avoiding this? Some things I've
    > found or speculated so far...

    [snip]

    > Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

    Yes: show us the problem. Live, online, visible :)
    Oh, and perhaps also mention in which browser you see it happening.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Spargo - Hip Hap Hop
    Els, Nov 24, 2006

    , Nov 24, 2006
  5. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > OK, image as below (can't provide a link unfortunately as it's an
    > Intranet)...

    You're lucky I actually looked at this post within a short time from
    posting. I could have looked at it tomorrow, and I would not have
    remembered what this was about. Please do leave in the crucial parts
    of the message you are replying to.

    > http://i15.tinypic.com/2vhvzpw.jpg
    >
    > I'm using IE6.

    Now you only proved how it looks. You haven't given anyone the
    opportunity to investigate your code.
    How about you copy a dummy page to an online server? Make the example
    as small as possible (strip out anything that doesn't matter), to make
    it easier for others to help you.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Split Enz - Message To My Girl
    Els, Nov 24, 2006

    Sorry about that. The following code is the stripped down version that
    still displays with the table corner 'overhang':

    <HTML>

    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Test</TITLE>
    </HEAD>

    <BODY>
    bordercolor="#000000">
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    Els wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > OK, image as below (can't provide a link unfortunately as it's an
    > > Intranet)...

    > You're lucky I actually looked at this post within a short time from
    > posting. I could have looked at it tomorrow, and I would not have
    > remembered what this was about. Please do leave in the crucial parts
    > of the message you are replying to.
    >
    > > http://i15.tinypic.com/2vhvzpw.jpg
    > >
    > > I'm using IE6.

    > Now you only proved how it looks. You haven't given anyone the
    > opportunity to investigate your code.
    > How about you copy a dummy page to an online server? Make the example
    > as small as possible (strip out anything that doesn't matter), to make
    > it easier for others to help you.
    >
    > --
    > Els http://locusmeus.com/
    > accessible web design: http://locusoptimus.com/
    >
    > Now playing: Split Enz - Message To My Girl
    , Nov 24, 2006
  7. > <HTML>

    > <HEAD>
    > <TITLE>Test</TITLE>
    > </HEAD>
    >
    > <BODY>
    > bordercolor="#000000">
    > </BODY>
    > </HTML>

    Hi,

    Try....

    Hope that helps

    Andy
    Andrew Bailey, Nov 24, 2006
  8. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > Sorry about that. The following code is the stripped down version that
    > still displays with the table corner 'overhang':

    So, I actually *did* copy your code and saved it as an html file, and
    uploaded it to my server, and... no overhang, no cross, no problem:
    http://here.locusmeus.com/temp/tw.html

    Are you saying you do see the problem there?
    (you never know, my IE6 may be different - it's a stand-alone version
    on WinXP)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: The Cure - Close To Me (Acoustic)
    Els, Nov 24, 2006

    Yes, I see it there too. It must be a browser issue, as Andrew's
    suggestion didn't have any effect.

    Thanks for your help and time guys, appreciate it.