html table control vs web table control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Geary, Jul 11, 2007.

  1. Geary

    Geary Guest

    I am porting my first traditional app to a web-based app using VS2005
    and ASP.NET 2.0. I have a page that will replace a data entry form. To
    have complete control of layout, I want to use a table as a layout
    device. Typically I would go with a std html table. With VS2005 I have
    a choice of a html table control or the web table control. I understand
    the jus of differences between the two, but I am still unsure whether
    using the html control is a bad move.

    The layout of the page does not have to be accessible via code. I won't
    be adding rows the table dynamically or anything like that. The two
    biggest questions I have are:

    1. If I place web controls (like dropdown boxes) within the cells of the
    html table control, will the web controls still be accessible in code?
    Or do they lose their extra functionary when placed in a non-web control?

    2. Will using html controls lower the processing overhead on the server
    than the web controls, even if I don't take advantage of the extra
    features of the web controls? I am assuming it would be lower but
    that's based on my gut, not knowledge.

    Thanks for all help.

    Geary, Jul 11, 2007

  2. IMHO, HTML tables are easier to deal with at design time, while the Table
    web control is easier to interact with at runtime.
    So I generally stick with HTML tables unless I need to manipulate a table at
    runtime on the server.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jul 11, 2007

  3. Geary wrote:
    > I am porting my first traditional app to a web-based app using VS2005
    > and ASP.NET 2.0. I have a page that will replace a data entry form. To
    > have complete control of layout, I want to use a table as a layout
    > device.

    To have complete control of the layout, I avoid using tables for layout...

    > Typically I would go with a std html table. With VS2005 I have
    > a choice of a html table control or the web table control. I understand
    > the jus of differences between the two, but I am still unsure whether
    > using the html control is a bad move.
    >
    > The layout of the page does not have to be accessible via code. I won't
    > be adding rows the table dynamically or anything like that. The two
    > biggest questions I have are:
    >
    > 1. If I place web controls (like dropdown boxes) within the cells of the
    > html table control, will the web controls still be accessible in code?
    > Or do they lose their extra functionary when placed in a non-web control?

    No, they work just fine.

    If you think of it, the html tag that surrounds the entire page is not a
    server control, but the server controls inside it still works. :)

    > 2. Will using html controls lower the processing overhead on the server
    > than the web controls, even if I don't take advantage of the extra
    > features of the web controls? I am assuming it would be lower but
    > that's based on my gut, not knowledge.

    Yes, it's slightly faster. Some less objects to create, and some less
    objects to loop through when the page is rendered.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Jul 12, 2007