HTML Table Question

Jonathan N. Little

NvrBst said:
Ahh. Problem with the min-width would be my that it creates a vertical
scroll (size of the largest width in *Data1*), when 99% of the time
*Data1* is small -> would have to set it dynamically each time the
data in *Data1* changes so that the scroll bar doesn't appear when its
not needed (more work than its worth).

Why would a *vertical* scroll be created to the *width* of anything?!
From what you say and the meager scraps of what you show it seems that
you have no idea what you are doing...
The 3 table method, or the position absolute both work though so I'll
fiddle around with those.

So I would say, most likely you are wrong and it *can* be done, but
since you are adamantly against providing a URL to what you are *trying*
to do...well good luck with that!

NvrBst

Why would a *vertical* scroll be created to the *width* of anything?!
 From what you say and the meager scraps of what you show it seems that
you have no idea what you are doing...

So I would say, most likely you are wrong and it *can* be done, but
since you are adamantly against providing a URL to what you are *trying*
  to do...well good luck with that!

LOL Typo. Horizontal Scroll Bar. If you want to see it yourself set
the min-width to 200em and you'll see the scroll bar.

Jonathan N. Little

LOL Typo. Horizontal Scroll Bar. If you want to see it yourself set
the min-width to 200em and you'll see the scroll bar.

Of course! 200em is *extremely* wide! About 400 characters! Make is
smaller as I said in the comment in the CSS

/* use 'em' adjust for min width without wrapping */
body { min-width: 20em; overflow: auto; }

Adjust the value to the min (minimum) needed to display without wrapping.

NvrBst

Of course! 200em is *extremely* wide! About 400 characters! Make is
smaller as I said in the comment in the CSS

   /* use 'em' adjust for min width without wrapping */
   body { min-width: 20em; overflow: auto; }

Adjust the value to the min (minimum) needed to display without wrapping.

The extreme length is to illustrate the scroll bar, nothing more. As
stated already the *Data1* cells' content changes. Sometimes the cell
needs to be 1000 pixels wide (rarly) to fit its content and sometimes
30 pixels wide. Setting min-width to the largest the cell can be
isn't a good solution (for me), and making it so that the min-width
gets set dynamically with the cells content isn't a good approach
either (for me - time wise) since I have two "okay" methods that I can
live with :p

I would love a "better" way but I don't see how the min-width could be
it. A single 2x2 table (like the last ASCII table you drew) might be
a better solution if you could quickly pseudo code that table I'd love
to see it (I'd probably use that type of idea a lot in the future at
the very least). Or a way to stop the 2nd object from wraping down (I
don't understand completly all the CSS properties yet, like overload,
or maybe a different one that acts simular to float but different).

I thank everyone who gave me tid bits and idea's, they've all been
helpful for me :)

NB

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

NvrBst said:
.. Sometimes the cell needs to be 1000 pixels wide (rarly) to fit its
content and sometimes 30 pixels wide.

If that is true, there is a flaw in your design...

NvrBst

If that is true, there is a flaw in your design...

Maybe :) If the COM object, that populates the
asp:ContentPlaceHolder, errors then it returns a single character
"-". 99% of the time the data returned from the COM is 500-600px'ish
but there are 1 or 2 larger data returns.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

NvrBst said:
Maybe :) If the COM object, that populates the
asp:ContentPlaceHolder, errors then it returns a single character
"-". 99% of the time the data returned from the COM is 500-600px'ish
but there are 1 or 2 larger data returns.

Set your error handler to return something like a one-pixel transparent
gif with a width parameter of .. 500-600px'ish width.

What kind of 'data' is this that varies so much in width?

NvrBst

Set your error handler to return something like a one-pixel transparent
gif with a width parameter of .. 500-600px'ish width.

What kind of 'data' is this that varies so much in width?

I can't control what the COM object returns (its not my code) - Only
make requests. I can make a wrapper for it but its not really
needed. The data returned is tabular data (error rates and other
various statistics, etc).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

NvrBst said:
I can't control what the COM object returns (its not my code) - Only
make requests.

Ok, but can you post a page of some sort of sample result, so we don't
have to guess so much?
I can make a wrapper for it but its not really needed. The data
returned is tabular data (error rates and other various statistics,
etc).

Statistics implies numbers or similar data, which would not be 1000px
wide. I'd want to see a sample prior to making any more guesses.

Don't forget to snip sig lines (that which follows) when you reply.

NvrBst

On Jan 13, 5:38 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

Ahh, the data can get very wide because of the number columns
returned. Some of the tables have thousands of cells (The site runs
on an intranet so bandwidth isn't an issue).

I don't know how I'd post the site (I'd need a free server with
ASPX(2.0) support, and the ability to install the COM object on their
computer). I can takes screenshots to post but I don't see how this
data is relevant.

Anyway, baically the column headers usally go something like "Msg / X1
Acks / X2 Acks / X1 N-Acks / X2 N-Acks / Rty 1 / Rty 2 / ... / Rty N /
Dup Msg / Dup Overlap / etc".

Needless to say the tables can get very wide. I was able to reduce my
solution from using 3 tables to just 2 tables (1 table with 2 cells "A
B"). 'A' has the menu, and 'B' has another table in it with two rows
*Data1* / *Data2*. I don't think it'll get more simple than that and
it works exactly as I want it (both 30px data and the 1000px'ish width
data in *Data1*) :)

NB

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit NvrBst:
On Jan 13, 5:38 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

That pseudoquotation doesn't really give us much context, does it?
Ahh, the data can get very wide because of the number columns
returned. Some of the tables have thousands of cells (The site runs
on an intranet so bandwidth isn't an issue).

Is meaningfulness an issue? What would anyone _do_ with such a table?
This reminds me of the good old days when I worked in a computing centre
where line printers were the main output device, and there was a
researcher who printed out hundreds of pages about daily, picked up the
listing, flipped over to a certain page, looked at a number and threw
the listing away. He just couldn't be bothered to modify his output
routines to print just the data he actually needed.

Consider letting users select the data they need (typically, via a form
on a web page). This means some hard work to some programmer(s), but
once done, it saves a lot of labor and time.
Anyway, baically the column headers usally go something like "Msg / X1
Acks / X2 Acks / X1 N-Acks / X2 N-Acks / Rty 1 / Rty 2 / ... / Rty N /
Dup Msg / Dup Overlap / etc".

Is this explanation supposed to help?

NvrBst

Scripsit NvrBst:

That pseudoquotation doesn't really give us much context, does it?

Is meaningfulness an issue? What would anyone _do_ with such a table?
This reminds me of the good old days when I worked in a computing centre
where line printers were the main output device, and there was a
researcher who printed out hundreds of pages about daily, picked up the
listing, flipped over to a certain page, looked at a number and threw
the listing away. He just couldn't be bothered to modify his output
routines to print just the data he actually needed.

Consider letting users select the data they need (typically, via a form
on a web page). This means some hard work to some programmer(s), but
once done, it saves a lot of labor and time.

Is this explanation supposed to help?

LOL I did the pseudoquotation because I thought that you thought the
quotes were getting to long ("Don't forget to snip sig lines").
Anyway, as I said, I don't see how the column headers are relevant.
1000px isn't that wide and when you have many columns its easy to have
1000px width tables (the explanation was to illustrate the number of
columns).

The data is mainly used to troubleshoot problems... anything could be
meaningful to the one trying to figure out whats wrong. There are
other gadgets on the page to help figure out whats going on, and to
organize/sort/hide data.

I'm sorry... this may just be my own ignorance but I don't see why
this information is relevant to any of the questions. All I asked was
a simple layout question "how can you figure out which cell(s) will
expand in a 2x2 table if 1 column is rowspaned and the rowspaned cell
has lots of data in it". The answer was you don't (could be first 1,
could be 2nd one, could be both... And to have the ability to control
something like that then use CSS layout or nested tables).

If your speaking in relation to the min-width / CSS approach then all
you should have to know is that one of the cells widths is very
dynamic and A) forcing the width to be the same for all, or B)
dynamically setting min-width arn't really options I'm fond of.

NB

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

NvrBst said:
LOL I did the pseudoquotation because I thought that you thought the
quotes were getting to long ("Don't forget to snip sig lines").

...so why didn't you snip it?
Anyway, as I said, I don't see how the column headers are relevant.
1000px isn't that wide and when you have many columns its easy to
have 1000px width tables (the explanation was to illustrate the
number of columns).

Initially, you were talking about 1000px *cells*, not tables. A table
that wide isn't necessarily a problem.

"As stated already the *Data1* cells' content changes. Sometimes the
cell needs to be 1000 pixels wide (rarly) to fit its content and
sometimes 30 pixels wide."

Make up your mind.

NvrBst

..so why didn't you snip it?

--
   -bts
   -Friends don't let friends drive Vista- Hide quoted text -

LOL The *Data1* cell is getting the table (from the COM) put into it.
Inital table is 2x2 table (Menu in left colum, and Data1/Data2 in
right colum). Data1 Cell = 1000px'ish at time. And I did snip his
post.

NB

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit NvrBst:

You're not even funny.
The *Data1* cell is getting the table (from the COM) put into it.
Inital table is 2x2 table (Menu in left colum, and Data1/Data2 in
right colum). Data1 Cell = 1000px'ish at time.

Doesn't make much more sense than the rest of your postings. You might
have tried to tell something relevant by posting a URL, but you didn't.
And I did snip his post.

Unless you intentionally wish to look like a moron, learn how to quote
on Usenet. Please do not change your foolish "nickname" before that.
Thank you in advance.

NvrBst

Scripsit NvrBst:

You're not even funny.

Doesn't make much more sense than the rest of your postings. You might
have tried to tell something relevant by posting a URL, but you didn't.

Unless you intentionally wish to look like a moron, learn how to quote
on Usenet. Please do not change your foolish "nickname" before that.
Thank you in advance.

Wow. This is the first time I've posted in alt.html... But I have to
say it is by far the worst group I've ever posted too; and I've posted
to some shady groups. For future reference, if you don't understand a
topic then don't reply/ignore it... It'll let people who don't mind
reading a few sentances help if they want to, and keep things cleaner
to boot (not mentioning common curtosy).

Simple questions don't need to be spoonfed with URL examples in my
opinion (I know you see it different)... And its halarious your trying
to insult my "nickname" Mr Yucca. LOL I'm out of this cesspool, enjoy
the swimming ya'all, but I'm sure you all are used to it.

NB