    doesn't really recommend one, and I'd like to hear from folks
    with experience with one or more of the systems.

    Suggestions?

    Mark J. Reed, Jan 9, 2005

  2. On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 10:06 +0900, Mark J. Reed wrote:
    > Okay, right now I run my website with mod_ruby + eruby,
    > and I'm looking for something with a little more structure,
    > maybe something like Mason for Perl, or Struts for Java.

    I am unfamiliar with Mason or Struts (and your requirements, therefore,
    seem a bit vague to me), but I am currently head over heels in love with
    Amrita for templating. http://amrita.sourceforge.jp/

    What I like about it is that it keeps the HTML in the template and the
    Ruby in the script. To me that feels extremely clean (and because it's
    well done it's also fairly flexible). Took literally minutes to learn to
    use, too.

    I've always balked at using template systems where the template looked
    more confusing than Ruby code with CGI methods or hardcoded HTML. Amrita
    was the answer to that.

    -Michael

    Michael C. Libby, Jan 9, 2005

  3. > Amrita for templating. http://amrita.sourceforge.jp/

    +1 I'm also a big amrita fan.

    > What I like about it is that it keeps the HTML in the template and the
    > Ruby in the script. To me that feels extremely clean (and because it's
    > well done it's also fairly flexible). Took literally minutes to learn to
    > use, too.

    Being able to design the look of a site in standard HTML and CSS, then
    just dropping it into the correct file has felt clean and simple.
    Since I'm usually time crunched, it's also a nice mental relief that
    it's an easy fix if someone disagree's with my design choice (God
    knows I've made some ugle things, I'm no artist). With Amrita, I can
    just tell them to make a new template using what they know and just
    put the correct 'id' tags in.

    Like Michael said, the logic stays in ruby and the design stays in
    HTML (fwiw, I use redcloth/bluecloth for content). no funky hybrid
    templates.

    Cameron

    Cameron McBride, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Cameron McBride wrote:
    >>Amrita for templating. http://amrita.sourceforge.jp/

    > +1 I'm also a big amrita fan.
    >

    >>What I like about it is that it keeps the HTML in the template and the
    >>Ruby in the script. To me that feels extremely clean (and because it's
    >>well done it's also fairly flexible). Took literally minutes to learn to
    >>use, too.

    > Being able to design the look of a site in standard HTML and CSS, then
    > just dropping it into the correct file has felt clean and simple.
    > Since I'm usually time crunched, it's also a nice mental relief that
    > it's an easy fix if someone disagree's with my design choice (God
    > knows I've made some ugle things, I'm no artist). With Amrita, I can
    > just tell them to make a new template using what they know and just
    > put the correct 'id' tags in.
    >
    > Like Michael said, the logic stays in ruby and the design stays in
    > HTML (fwiw, I use redcloth/bluecloth for content). no funky hybrid
    > templates.
    >
    > Cameron

    Amrita, how is the performace? And, how do you handle the security for a
    more serious interactive website? Thanks

    Sarah Tanembaum, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Mark J. Reed

    Dido Sevilla Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:06:25 +0900, Mark J. Reed <> wrote:
    > Okay, right now I run my website with mod_ruby + eruby,
    > and I'm looking for something with a little more structure,
    > maybe something like Mason for Perl, or Struts for Java.

    Well, if what you're looking for is an actual MVC system for Ruby
    similar to Apache Struts, there is of course Rails
    (http://www.rubyonrails.org/). I've managed to create web applications
    using Rails that are shorter than the XML config files for the
    equivalent Struts application. ;)

    Dido Sevilla, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Mark J. Reed

    Zev Blut Guest

    Hello,

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:41:22 +0900, Mark J. Reed <>
    wrote:

    > Amrita looks interesting. Haven't found much in the way of English doc
    > on it,
    > but I'm still looking. I'm assuming the "model" can be any object that
    > implements hashish (heh) methods like []?

    Download Amrita and take a look in the docs directory. There are a number
    of good examples of usage in it in English.

    Best,
    Zev

    Zev Blut, Jan 11, 2005