HTTP connection library in C ??

dipen chaudhary

hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen

Sharath

hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen

There are no standard libraries in C for that. You will have
to ask in the newsgroup meant for the compiler/platform you're using.

-Sharath

comp.lang.c FAQs: http://c-faq.com
Orkut C FAQs: http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/CFAQ

dipen chaudhary

hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen

I found libwww on google code search .. But I think Its very broad for
my use .. Any customization possible ? I dont need all mysql support :(

Ian Collins

dipen said:
hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...

While OT here, all you require is a thin layer over sockets to do what
you want to do. A good learning exercise.
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...

You'd have to ask in a group for you platform.

jacob navia

dipen said:
hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen
lcc-win32 proposes a network library with
GetHttpUrl(char *url,char *destination_file);

There are other similar functions for ftp.

dipen chaudhary

While OT here, all you require is a thin layer over sockets to do what
you want to do. A good learning exercise.

You'd have to ask in a group for you platform.

My platform is linux .. Ok I will try there .. thanks for helping
though

dipen chaudhary

lcc-win32 proposes a network library with
GetHttpUrl(char *url,char *destination_file);

There are other similar functions for ftp.

hi jacob ..
I think thats wot I want .. Do they have anything for linux ?
lcc-win32 looks like a windows library .. anyways I will find out ...
thanks ..

Bartholomew Simpson

dipen said:
hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen

What you need is libcurl - look it up in Google

Clever Monkey

dipen said:
hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen
Does libcurl do what you want?