HttpWeb Request from Class Library fails to 500

SevDer

Hi I have a class library that needs to download the HTML in a specific page
of ours with provided querystring.
When I open this URL with any browser, it loads fine. When I do WebRequest
from Web Project it is again fine.
However whenever I do this request from this class library, it fails.

I put every kind of user permission to the actual folder, and through
inetmgr. Right now everyone has full control.
But still I got the problem.

Code is as follows:
HttpWebRequest myRequest = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(theFullUrl);
myRequest .UserAgent = "Fareportal .NET Request 1.1";
HttpWebResponse myResponse = (HttpWebResponse)myRequest .GetResponse();

IIS Log is as follows:
2006-01-05 21:14:39 W3SVC1 AHMET-IPC 192.168.0.163 GET /sevket3/Default.aspx
tabid=1076&guid=cd709879-6680-4cf7-bb98-2bb85b003f7d 80 - 192.168.0.163
HTTP/1.1 Fareportal+.NET+Request+1.1 - 192.168.0.163 500 0 0

Exception is as follows:
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal
Server Error.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

Platform:
ASP.NET 1.1
Win 2K3

I also have .NET 2.0 on this machine but this app is on 1.1

Joerg Jooss

Hello SevDer,
************
[...]

It's a server-side error -- your ASP.NET app breaks. You should debug that
page.

Cheers,

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi SevDer,

I agree with Joerg , since the IIS server has received the request, it is
likely something at serverside (asp.net page) or our code logic cause the
problem. I've ever met some similiar problem which is caused by the user
agent not set correctly. Have you tried using the IE explorer's userAgent
string to see whether it works? Also, if convenient, I suggest you provide
some further detailed info on the asp.net page you request...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: Joerg Jooss <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: HttpWeb Request from Class Library fails to 500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:38:57 -0800
|
| Hello SevDer,
|
| > Hi I have a class library that needs to download the HTML in a
| > specific page
| > of ours with provided querystring.
| > When I open this URL with any browser, it loads fine. When I do
| > WebRequest
| > from Web Project it is again fine.
| > However whenever I do this request from this class library, it fails.
| > I put every kind of user permission to the actual folder, and through
| > inetmgr. Right now everyone has full control.
| > But still I got the problem.
| > Code is as follows:
| > **********************************************************************
| > ************
| > HttpWebRequest myRequest =
| > (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(theFullUrl);
| > myRequest .UserAgent = "Fareportal .NET Request 1.1";
| > HttpWebResponse myResponse = (HttpWebResponse)myRequest
| > .GetResponse();
| > IIS Log is as follows:
| > **********************************************************************
| > ************
| > 2006-01-05 21:14:39 W3SVC1 AHMET-IPC 192.168.0.163 GET
| > /sevket3/Default.aspx
| > tabid=1076&guid=cd709879-6680-4cf7-bb98-2bb85b003f7d 80 -
| > 192.168.0.163
| > HTTP/1.1 Fareportal+.NET+Request+1.1 - 192.168.0.163 500 0 0
| > Exception is as follows:
| > **********************************************************************
| > ************
| > System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500)
| > Internal
| > Server Error.
| > at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
| > at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult
| > asyncResult)
| > at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
|
| It's a server-side error -- your ASP.NET app breaks. You should debug
that
| page.
|
| Cheers,
| --
| Joerg Jooss
| (e-mail address removed)

SevDer

Hi Steven,

I also used IE UserAgent string. The result is the same.
This page itself is a simple page that displays some content based on the
querystring that you pass. And this is a page which is available to public
also on production enviorment.
And as I said, if I do the same code from web app, there is no problem, but
from the class library it is a problem.

Even more on this problem. I put same page's URL which is on production
enviorment and it worked fine. But when I try my local, it fails. I do not
understand what is wrong?

URL development = http://192.168.x.x/Default.asx?querystring FAILS
URL production = http://publicdomain.com/Default.aspx?querystring WORKS
FINE

And the test is done from my development platform, therefore I do not think
that the problem is on that page.
The only funny thing I am thinking is, the class which has this static
method that makes the webrequest call is being used in the page that I am
requesting but that page uses its own instance of this object and does not
do anything with this static method.

Do you have any idea why I may still have the problem?

Thanks in advance,
SevDer
http://www.sevder.com

SevDer

Hi Steven,

I did some more progress in this.
I moved the static method to a different class say class "framework".

And I have 2 classes that acceses that static method as
"framework.GetHTMLContent(querystring)"
When I reach this method from one the classes say "classA" by providing
"querystringA", method works fine.
But when I reach this method from "classB" with exactly the same
"querystringA", it fails with 500.

Now in both cases
1. the URL that I am requesting is exactly the same
2. In both cases I have HttpContext.Current available.

So what may be the problem.

Bottom line is "framework.GetHTMLContent(querystring)" works when called
from 1 class but does not work from the other one with the same parameter.

I appreciate your help in this.
Regards,

SevDer
http://www.sevder.com
A new source for .NET Developers

SevDer

Hi everyone, or who follows that thread.

I findout the problem.
In both classes I have a database transaction going on.
In class 1, I was committing the transaction and then trying to load the
content
In class 2, I was trying to load the content and then commit the
transaction.

As a result in class 2, the data is being held by the transaction so I was
not able to load it.

Sorry for the trouble.

--

SevDer
http://www.sevder.com
A new source for .NET Developers

SevDer

Hi everyone, or who follows that thread.

I findout the problem.
In both classes I have a database transaction going on.
In class 1, I was committing the transaction and then trying to load the
content
In class 2, I was trying to load the content and then commit the
transaction.

As a result in class 2, the data is being held by the transaction so I was
not able to load it.

Sorry for the trouble.

--

SevDer
http://www.sevder.com
A new source for .NET Developers

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup SevDer,

Glad that you've figured out the problem.

Have a good day!

> [...]

| > http://www.sevder.com
| > A new source for .NET Developers

| >> I agree with Joerg , since the IIS server has received the request, it
is
| >> likely something at serverside (asp.net page) or our code logic cause
the
| >> problem. I've ever met some similiar problem which is caused by the
user
| >> agent not set correctly. Have you tried using the IE explorer's
userAgent
| >> string to see whether it works? Also, if convenient, I suggest you
| >> provide
| >> some further detailed info on the asp.net page you request...
| >>
| >> Thanks,
| >>
| >> Steven Cheng
| >> Microsoft Online Support
| >>
| >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| >> (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

| >> |

| >> |
| >> that
| >> |