HttpWebRequest submit. Yeah, you've seen this before but this is different...

Reaction score
I've read MANY posts about this subject but my situation, at least to me, appears to be different.

I'm attempting to autosubmit a page that uses GET and has hidden text fields. I don't know if there's a big difference between GET and POST for this kinda thing but I'm unable to make it work. More importantly, I am simply trying to send x number of requests in a fixed amount of time (currently using timer). Basically, this is for an online game and I want to submit the page, let's say 5 times in 1 second.

I have both ContentType types below, with one commented out, depending on what I was testing at the time. POST seems to go with 'application', and GET seems to do the 'text/xml' thing.

For the request to take place I have to attempt to get a response, right? My understanding is that both parts are required to get the job done. Will using GET or POST really make a difference? My example has only 1 piece of data that needs to be sent to the 'someurl' webpage.

Anyway, so what's the best way to submit the required info?

Code:
Dim sValue As String = "test"
        Dim iRespCounter As Integer = 0
        Dim eA As New System.Text.ASCIIEncoding ' 
        Dim sb As New Text.StringBuilder

sb.Append("value1=" & sValue)    
        Dim PostData As String = sb.ToString
        Dim data As Byte() = eA.GetBytes(PostData)

Dim myRequest As HttpWebRequest = CType(WebRequest.Create("someURL"), HttpWebRequest)
        ' Dim myResponse As HttpWebResponse

myRequest.Method = WebRequestMethods.Http.Post
        myRequest.ContentLength = data.Length
        myRequest.ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" '"text/xml; encoding='utf-8'" '
        'myRequest.ContentType = "text/xml; encoding='utf-8'"

[B]Dim newStream As Stream = myRequest.GetRequestStream[/B]
        newStream.Write(data, 0, data.Length)
        newStream.Close()

It seems that if I use method GET, I get an error "Cannot send a content-body with this verb-type" at the bold area. It seems that if I want to send info I need to use POST, but as I said, I'm assuming that when the page is submitted the server side simply does a request("fieldname").... Is there any way to automate this, or am I missing something?

Any help is appreciated!

Ask a Question