Huge Volume Of data

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sunil, Feb 9, 2008.

  1. Sunil

    Sunil Guest

    This may sound like a very common question but

    I am developing an application which is just used for reporting purpose...
    The application has two things - grid and an option to export the data to
    excel.

    Now the main issue is the volume of data that we are dealing with is more
    than a million records and the application server is on a load balancing one.

    The grid should be able to do things like filtering, column hiding, column
    reordering and fast navigation i.e page navigation and the data on the grid
    needs to be exported to a excel.

    The records on the grid will not be modified in any way.

    Since there are more than a million record (and more than 50 columns)there
    is this issue with exporting to excel as well. since a sheet in excel can
    only accomodate 65536 rows we will be transferring the data to the next
    sheets and so on. This I guess is only possible with Interop programming....

    This looks like an application which demands for Windows application but the
    client wants it in web only without compromisin performance.... :-(

    If anybody has already designed this kind of application can you please help
    me with the design...

    Sunil, Feb 9, 2008

  2. Sunil

    Ray Costanzo Guest

    Have you considered looking into SQL Reporting Services? Much of the
    functionality you're after comes out of the box, I believe.

    Would your client really want to get a million records? If so, chances are
    they don't want to just bring it into Excel. You'd think think that if they
    need to get all of this data from your system, they have intentions of
    something with it, such as importing it into a data analysis system on their
    end or something. I'd get more details as to what they intend to do. If
    they really do want to just use Excel, tell them to upgrade to Office 2007
    where they can have 1,048,576 rows. (That doesn't sound like fun.)

    Ray Costanzo, Feb 9, 2008

  3. Sunil

    Sunil Guest

    Thanx Ray,

    But the user will not be importing it into any other system. They will only
    use the data in excel for reporting purpose. And Office 2007 is also not
    available at their end...

    Exporting to the excel can be solved using Interop, I guess... My biggest
    concern is the performance...

    Sunil, Feb 10, 2008