Hyperlinks in the old ansi.c.txt file

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ben Bacarisse, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
    something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
    read and navigate. I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
    many of the obvious items into links.

    I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:

    http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
    http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file

    (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
    without reference to a web server.)

    The text file had a number of obvious errors (I can only comment on
    obvious ones since I don't have any official version to check against)
    most noticeably that the collected syntax in appendix A was missing all
    the non-terminal headings. I was able to fix this because the syntax is
    duplicated in the main body of the text. A couple of other minor
    corrections could obviously be made, but I am sure there are others. Of
    course, I may also have introduced some of my own since the processing
    is not trivial.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Feb 22, 2011

  2. Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    > I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
    > something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
    > read and navigate. I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
    > many of the obvious items into links.

    > I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:

    > http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
    > http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file

    > (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
    > without reference to a web server.)

    Thank you for sharing, that can be very helpful!

    Best regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___

    Jens Thoms Toerring, Feb 22, 2011

  3. Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    > I was recently using the widely available text file
    > ansi.c.txt to check something or other and I started
    > to get annoyed at how hard it was to read and navigate.
    > I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
    > many of the obvious items into links.
    >
    > I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting
    > a link here:
    >
    >  http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
    >  http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file

    <snip>

    Excellent work! Thanks for taking the time and sharing!

    --
    Peter

    Peter Nilsson, Feb 23, 2011
  4. Ben Bacarisse <> writes:
    > I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
    > something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
    > read and navigate. I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
    > many of the obvious items into links.
    >
    > I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:
    >
    > http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
    > http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file
    >
    > (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
    > without reference to a web server.)
    >
    > The text file had a number of obvious errors (I can only comment on
    > obvious ones since I don't have any official version to check against)
    > most noticeably that the collected syntax in appendix A was missing all
    > the non-terminal headings. I was able to fix this because the syntax is
    > duplicated in the main body of the text. A couple of other minor
    > corrections could obviously be made, but I am sure there are others. Of
    > course, I may also have introduced some of my own since the processing
    > is not trivial.

    Thanks for this.

    Just so everyone is clear, "ansi.c.txt" is a pre-standard draft
    of C89. I'm not sure exactly what changed between ansi.c.txt and
    the final ANSI C89 document. (ANSI C89 and ISO C90 are essentially
    identical, with some added introductory material and a renumbering
    of the sections.) It doesn't reflect any of the changes added by
    C95 or C99.

    The best (for most purposes) source for the current official C standard
    is <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf>.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Feb 23, 2011
  5. On Feb 22, 12:31 am, Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    > I was recently using the widely available text file ansi.c.txt to check
    > something or other and I started to get annoyed at how hard it was to
    > read and navigate.  I therefore made myself an HTML version that makes
    > many of the obvious items into links.
    >
    > I found it useful enough this I thought it worth posting a link here:
    >
    >  http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c
    >  http://www.bsb.me.uk/ansi-c/ansi-c-one-file
    >
    > (The second version has the styles in-line so it can be used locally
    > without reference to a web server.)
    >
    > The text file had a number of obvious errors (I can only comment on
    > obvious ones since I don't have any official version to check against)
    > most noticeably that the collected syntax in appendix A was missing all
    > the non-terminal headings.  I was able to fix this because the syntax is
    > duplicated in the main body of the text.  A couple of other minor
    > corrections could obviously be made, but I am sure there are others.  Of
    > course, I may also have introduced some of my own since the processing
    > is not trivial.
    >
    > --
    > Ben.

    Thank you for this. One suggestion: could you use &larr; and &rarr;
    for the previous and next navigation arrows? An up arrow usually
    navigates up the document hierarchy towards the TOC, and I have never
    seen a down arrow used in this way.

    Martin

    MartinBroadhurst, Feb 23, 2011