I have 1.9.1, win32-service gem looking for 1.8

Grant Birchmeier

I have 1.9.1 installed (from zip). My scripts use the win32-service
gem, so installed it with:
gem install win32-service

This installed the following gems without error:
win32-api (1.4.0)
win32-service (0.6.1)
windows-api (0.3.0)
windows-pr (1.0.3)

When I run the script, I get this in a pop-up dialog:
"This application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not
found."

And the first line of console error is:
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/windows-api-0.3.0/lib/windows/api.rb:1:in
`require': 126: The specified module could not be found. -
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/win32-api-1.4.0-x86-mswin32-60/lib/win32/api.so
(LoadError)

I *think* that means that one or more of those gems are compiled against
the older Ruby.

I'm a gems n00b. Does gems not check for this mismatch of ruby
versions?

How can I get these gems for Ruby 1.9.1?

Thanks for any help.
-Grant

Luis Lavena

[...]

You hit one of the problem with binary gems and the co-existence of
Ruby 1.8 and 1.9. I've exposed the same concern here:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2009-April/004522.html

Cleverly enough, Aaron Patterson just blogged on how to overcome this
issue, at least form the gem developer perspective:

http://tenderlovemaking.com/2009/05/07/fat-binary-gems-make-the-rockin-world-go-round/

I'm going to work with him on improve this mechanism so gem developers
can distribute binary gems painlessly at RubyForge.

If someone works on a series of patches for RubyGems, that can help
too ;-)

Regards,

Grant Birchmeier

Luis said:
If someone works on a series of patches for RubyGems, that can help
too ;-)

Thanks, that was informative.

For my immediate needs, does that mean I'm should give up and go back to
1.8 for now?

I don't expect every gem to be rebuilt, but I'm guessing that
mswin32-api and windows-api are pretty crucial to any ruby/Windows work.
I guess I'd expect that someone would have built 1.9.1 versions of these
by now, but Google is not finding any for me.

-Grant

Roger Pack

gem install win32-service
This installed the following gems without error:
win32-api (1.4.0)
win32-service (0.6.1)
windows-api (0.3.0)
windows-pr (1.0.3)

so you installed them using exactly that command?
-=r

Grant Birchmeier

Roger said:
so you installed them using exactly that command?
-=r

Yep. I ran "gem --remote list" and I didn't see a 1.9.1 version of the
gems, so I assume there isn't one.

I ended up just downgrading to the newest 1.8 release. Seems to be
working fine.