    http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files/Dos Programs whose icons I need to change.zip

    Thanks,
    Christian Blackburn

    Christian Blackburn, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Hi Sam,

    I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
    about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
    I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C++).

    Thanks,
    Christian

    Christian Blackburn, Apr 12, 2008

  3. Christian Blackburn

    Ian Collins Guest

    Christian Blackburn wrote:
    > Hi Sam,
    >
    > I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
    > about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
    > I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C++).

    That may be so, but your question falls under the domain of DOS
    programming, not the C++ language. A DOS programming group is the best
    place to ask.

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, Apr 12, 2008
  4. Christian Blackburn

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <30bee21f-2fc2-43fd-b6a8-
    >,
    says...
    > Hi Sam,
    >
    > I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
    > about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
    > I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C++).

    This argument seems to be roughly equivalent to saying: "pig are
    animals that breathe air, so I'm going to have to argue that there's
    something in air called pigs."

    Your question will be topical when pigs fly!

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Apr 12, 2008
  5. Hi Sam,

    Apparently you think C++ runs inside a vacuum. Last time I checked it
    requires a platform of some kind so maybe you could show me a little
    latitude for asking a question about modifying an exe on a given
    platform. Sure, there might be better places to ask this, but last
    time I checked DOS is a diminishing group and they probably won't be
    able to explain anything about the icons. I'm still not even sure I'm
    working with a DOS application, but windows certainly treats it as one
    (perhaps it's OS/2 or something). In any event, I couldn't locate a
    resource editing newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask some hardcore
    programmers. You all seem to be afraid to get your feet wet. If you
    don't know the answer just leave this thread alone until somebody who
    does is able to reply.

    Cheers,
    Christian

    Christian Blackburn, Apr 13, 2008
  6. Christian Blackburn

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <6b0ab019-0f75-4bda-97e4-9f321ad30e98
    @q24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > Hi Sam,
    >
    > Apparently you think C++ runs inside a vacuum. Last time I checked it
    > requires a platform of some kind so maybe you could show me a little
    > latitude for asking a question about modifying an exe on a given
    > platform. Sure, there might be better places to ask this, but last
    > time I checked DOS is a diminishing group and they probably won't be
    > able to explain anything about the icons. I'm still not even sure I'm
    > working with a DOS application, but windows certainly treats it as one
    > (perhaps it's OS/2 or something). In any event, I couldn't locate a
    > resource editing newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask some hardcore
    > programmers. You all seem to be afraid to get your feet wet. If you
    > don't know the answer just leave this thread alone until somebody who
    > does is able to reply.

    I (for one) do have some pretty good ideas of the answer -- but the
    question isn't topical here, and in an effort at discouraging wildly
    off-topic threads, I'm not going to answer here.

    Given that it also relates (somewhat) to Windows, you might want to ask
    someplace like comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. It's open to _some_
    argument whether it's completely topical there, but at least it's open
    to argument, instead of obviously having nothing to do with the
    newgroup's topic at all, as is the case here.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Apr 13, 2008
  7. Sam wrote:

    > It may be hard for you to wrap your brain around the following fact, but the
    > "hardcore" of the "hardcore" programmers around here have nothing but
    > contempt and hatred for Microsoft's shitware, and do not, and will not, use
    > Windows.

    Now that surprises me. I don't think I've ever seen such a hateful
    anti-Microsoft flame by any of the regulars in this newsgroup,
    especially as far as their C++ compiler is concerned.

    --
    Christian Hackl

    Christian Hackl, Apr 13, 2008
  8. Sam <> writes:

    > Christian Blackburn writes:
    >
    >> Hi Gang,
    >> I have come across something that I wouldn't believe unless I'd seen
    >> it with my own eyes, a DOS program with an icon.

    > What's "DOS"? There's no such thing called "DOS" in the C++
    > programming language.
    >
    > Neither is there anything called an "icon", in the C++ programming language.
    >
    >> Can someone tell me
    >> how to change the icon,

    > Try asking on some other newsgroup, for this "DOS" thing that you keep
    > talking about.

    Wrong answer.

    Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan a
    DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do we
    implement in C++ such an icon editor?

    class Icon;
    class DosProgram: public std::fstream {
    public:
    Icon* readIcon(void);
    void writeIcon(Icon* i);
    };

    ;-)
    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Apr 14, 2008
  9. Pascal J. Bourguignon a écrit :
    > Sam <> writes:
    >
    >> Christian Blackburn writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi Gang,
    >>> I have come across something that I wouldn't believe unless I'd seen
    >>> it with my own eyes, a DOS program with an icon.

    >> What's "DOS"? There's no such thing called "DOS" in the C++
    >> programming language.
    >>
    >> Neither is there anything called an "icon", in the C++ programming language.
    >>
    >>> Can someone tell me
    >>> how to change the icon,

    >> Try asking on some other newsgroup, for this "DOS" thing that you keep
    >> talking about.

    > Wrong answer.
    >
    > Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan a
    > DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do we
    > implement in C++ such an icon editor?
    >
    > class Icon;
    > class DosProgram: public std::fstream {
    > public:
    > Icon* readIcon(void);
    > void writeIcon(Icon* i);
    > };

    ANSWERS:
    - Show what you have done up to now.
    - And what is your c++ question ?
    ;)

    Concerning the format of the file, I guess wotsit.org is a good starting
    point.

    Looking into the files, they have no recognizable signature (NE, LE, MZ
    ....) in the header but I was able to open play with the icons with MSVC++6.

    Michael

    Michael DOUBEZ, Apr 14, 2008
  10. Sam wrote:

    > Christian Hackl writes:
    >
    >> Now that surprises me. I don't think I've ever seen such a hateful
    >> anti-Microsoft flame by any of the regulars in this newsgroup,
    >> especially as far as their C++ compiler is concerned.

    > Well, you haven't been around much, methinks.

    A few years, I'd say, although most of the time my participation was
    passive.

    > That's rather mild, compared to what else you'll find out there.

    In my opinion, the only MS product that is getting bashed here by
    regulars is VC6. Of course, bashing anything not related to C++ would be
    off-topic, anyway :)

    --
    Christian Hackl

    Christian Hackl, Apr 14, 2008
  11. Michael DOUBEZ <> wrote in

    > Pascal J. Bourguignon a écrit :
    >> Sam <> writes:

    >>> Neither is there anything called an "icon", in the C++ programming
    >>> language.

    >> Wrong answer.
    >>
    >> Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan
    >> a DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do
    >> we implement in C++ such an icon editor?

    > ANSWERS:
    > - Show what you have done up to now.
    > - And what is your c++ question ?
    > ;)

    No, Sam was correct all along. This is a platform-specific question and
    should be asked in the appropriate newsgroup.

    Lloyd Bonafide, Apr 15, 2008