I have a DOS program with an Icon how can I change it

Christian Blackburn

Hi Gang,

I have come across something that I wouldn't believe unless I'd seen
it with my own eyes, a DOS program with an icon. Can someone tell me
how to change the icon, my company no longer has the source code for
it, but we want the icon to match the rest of the suite. I know the
program isn't Win16 nor Win32 and I've tried about 10 resource and or
icon editors on it thus far and none work. I don't even know how Quan
got the icon in there, but I really need to change it. Any
suggestions? Has anyone done this? See screenshot:
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files/Dos Programs whose icons I need to change1.png
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files/Dos Programs whose icons I need to change2.png
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files/Dos Programs whose icons I need to change3.png

Download Zip of EXE [844 bytes!](if you're concerned about safety, go
ahead and scan it at VirusTotal.com, that's what I'd do):
http://www.fastandfriendly.biz/files/Dos Programs whose icons I need to change.zip

Thanks,
Christian Blackburn

Christian Blackburn

Hi Sam,

I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C++).

Thanks,
Christian

Ian Collins

Christian said:
Hi Sam,

I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C++).
That may be so, but your question falls under the domain of DOS
programming, not the C++ language. A DOS programming group is the best
place to ask.

Jerry Coffin

(e-mail address removed)>,
(e-mail address removed) says...
Hi Sam,

I'm asking, because editing resources is something programmers know
about. DOS is clearly one of the first platforms C++ ever worked, so
I'm going to have to argue that there is something in C++ called DOS
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_C++).

This argument seems to be roughly equivalent to saying: "pig are
animals that breathe air, so I'm going to have to argue that there's
something in air called pigs."

Your question will be topical when pigs fly!

Christian Blackburn

Hi Sam,

Apparently you think C++ runs inside a vacuum. Last time I checked it
requires a platform of some kind so maybe you could show me a little
latitude for asking a question about modifying an exe on a given
platform. Sure, there might be better places to ask this, but last
time I checked DOS is a diminishing group and they probably won't be
able to explain anything about the icons. I'm still not even sure I'm
working with a DOS application, but windows certainly treats it as one
(perhaps it's OS/2 or something). In any event, I couldn't locate a
resource editing newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask some hardcore
programmers. You all seem to be afraid to get your feet wet. If you
don't know the answer just leave this thread alone until somebody who
does is able to reply.

Cheers,
Christian

Jerry Coffin

Hi Sam,

Apparently you think C++ runs inside a vacuum. Last time I checked it
requires a platform of some kind so maybe you could show me a little
latitude for asking a question about modifying an exe on a given
platform. Sure, there might be better places to ask this, but last
time I checked DOS is a diminishing group and they probably won't be
able to explain anything about the icons. I'm still not even sure I'm
working with a DOS application, but windows certainly treats it as one
(perhaps it's OS/2 or something). In any event, I couldn't locate a
resource editing newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask some hardcore
programmers. You all seem to be afraid to get your feet wet. If you
don't know the answer just leave this thread alone until somebody who
does is able to reply.

I (for one) do have some pretty good ideas of the answer -- but the
question isn't topical here, and in an effort at discouraging wildly
off-topic threads, I'm not going to answer here.

Given that it also relates (somewhat) to Windows, you might want to ask
someplace like comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. It's open to _some_
argument whether it's completely topical there, but at least it's open
to argument, instead of obviously having nothing to do with the
newgroup's topic at all, as is the case here.

Christian Hackl

Sam said:
It may be hard for you to wrap your brain around the following fact, but the
"hardcore" of the "hardcore" programmers around here have nothing but
contempt and hatred for Microsoft's shitware, and do not, and will not, use
Windows.

Now that surprises me. I don't think I've ever seen such a hateful
anti-Microsoft flame by any of the regulars in this newsgroup,
especially as far as their C++ compiler is concerned.

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Sam said:
What's "DOS"? There's no such thing called "DOS" in the C++
programming language.

Neither is there anything called an "icon", in the C++ programming language.

Try asking on some other newsgroup, for this "DOS" thing that you keep
talking about.

Wrong answer.

Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan a
DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do we
implement in C++ such an icon editor?

class Icon;
class DosProgram: public std::fstream {
public:
Icon* readIcon(void);
void writeIcon(Icon* i);
};

;-)

Michael DOUBEZ

Pascal J. Bourguignon a écrit :
Wrong answer.

Try to explain how we could program in C++ a program that would scan a
DOS program, find its icon, and allow the user to edit it. How do we
implement in C++ such an icon editor?

class Icon;
class DosProgram: public std::fstream {
public:
Icon* readIcon(void);
void writeIcon(Icon* i);
};

ANSWERS:
- Show what you have done up to now.
- And what is your c++ question ?
;)

Concerning the format of the file, I guess wotsit.org is a good starting
point.

Looking into the files, they have no recognizable signature (NE, LE, MZ
....) in the header but I was able to open play with the icons with MSVC++6.

Michael

Christian Hackl

Sam said:
Well, you haven't been around much, methinks.

A few years, I'd say, although most of the time my participation was
passive.
That's rather mild, compared to what else you'll find out there.

In my opinion, the only MS product that is getting bashed here by
regulars is VC6. Of course, bashing anything not related to C++ would be
off-topic, anyway :)

Lloyd Bonafide

Pascal J. Bourguignon a écrit :
ANSWERS:
- Show what you have done up to now.
- And what is your c++ question ?
;)

No, Sam was correct all along. This is a platform-specific question and
should be asked in the appropriate newsgroup.