I have a menu and I'd like a drop down

Naive Group User

I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
blocks of texts
I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
out how to do that
Someone could offer some hints please,
Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

Thank you :D

dorayme

Naive Group User said:
I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
blocks of texts
I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
out how to do that
Someone could offer some hints please,
Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

These might get you started:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdownHoriz.html>

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/>

Doug Miller

I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
blocks of texts
I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
out how to do that
Someone could offer some hints please,

Google 'CSS dropdown menu'.

This is a nice example:
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html
Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

Yes it is.

DLU

Naive said:
I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
blocks of texts
I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
out how to do that
Someone could offer some hints please,
Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

Thank you :D
This was poster on alt.html 12/05
http://www.ezdia.com/Drop_down_menus_in_HTML/Content.do?id=495

Yu can search USENET by using:
http://groups.google.com/

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

rf

asdf said:

How can something that is obviously a <spit> jQuery </spit> plugin not
require javascript to work, for some yet to be difined value or "work", that
is.
...and does not require javascript to work. It degrades beautifully.

Yes, it degrades beautifullly (with javascript disabled) to the original CSS
based dropdown menu that the OP desired. And, IIRC, the OP specified no
javascript.
You have the option to 'enhance' it with various javascripty niceties, but
you don't need them.

Yes said:
...and, used properly, validates correctly with (X)HTML and CSS
validators.

That's because it's all javascript.

Doug Miller

Oh, please.
1) That site has spammed their tutorials to nearly every computer-related
group on Usenet.
2) None of the tutorials are worth a damn.
3) The site is incompetently written and designed. They have *no* business
offering anyone advice about HTML. Running the HTML Validator at
validator.w3.org against the URL you provided shows 93 errors, 36 warnings.
This is *not* the place to go for HTML examples.

DLU

Doug said:
Oh, please.
1) That site has spammed their tutorials to nearly every computer-related
group on Usenet.
2) None of the tutorials are worth a damn.
3) The site is incompetently written and designed. They have *no* business
offering anyone advice about HTML. Running the HTML Validator at
validator.w3.org against the URL you provided shows 93 errors, 36 warnings.
This is *not* the place to go for HTML examples.

I did not realize this, I saw the thread on alt.html and some responses.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

SAZ

The best part of your reply - your example DOES have javascript.

To the OP - you need javascript.

My bad - I meant to reply to the asdf post about superfish, not this
site. And for the superfish example, you need Javascript.

In other words, I experienced Brain Freeze this morning.

Neredbojias

Oh I've got one of those... but over the years it's been eroded by
usenet twats all desperately trying to bignote themselves, and jump
on the slightest grammatical or syntactical error, whilst totally
missing the point.

Actually, there should be no comma between "themselves" and "and" or
"error" and "whilst" and "whilst" is an archaic affectation to boot.
Happy New Year all!

Well, I'll be another year older. Is that your idea of good?

SAZ

No you don't. Without javascript, it works beautifully as a "pure" CSS drop
down menu. I've tried it with javascript disabled, and it just works on all
the browsers I have available to me.

The javascript bits are for the various enhancements. You don't need to use
them, so therefore javascript is not required. Quite simple really.

If you don't believe me, go to the page with javascript disabled, and you'll
see it all working just fine.

Now I see that it does work. I guess I should have tried it before
posting anything.