    Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

    Thank you :D

    Naive Group User, Dec 30, 2009

  2. Naive Group User

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Naive Group User <> wrote:

    > I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    > blocks of texts
    > I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    > out how to do that
    > Someone could offer some hints please,
    > Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    > css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

    These might get you started:

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdown.html>

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/dropdownHoriz.html>

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/dropdownMenus/>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 30, 2009

  3. Naive Group User

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Naive Group User <> wrote:
    >I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    >blocks of texts
    >I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    >out how to do that
    >Someone could offer some hints please,

    Google 'CSS dropdown menu'.

    This is a nice example:
    http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html

    >Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    >css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

    Yes it is.

    Doug Miller, Dec 30, 2009
  4. Naive Group User

    DLU Guest

    Naive Group User wrote:
    > I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    > blocks of texts
    > I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    > out how to do that
    > Someone could offer some hints please,
    > Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    > css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)
    >
    > Thank you :D

    This was poster on alt.html 12/05
    http://www.ezdia.com/Drop_down_menus_in_HTML/Content.do?id=495

    Yu can search USENET by using:
    http://groups.google.com/

    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *

    DLU, Dec 30, 2009
  5. Naive Group User

    rf Guest

    rf, Dec 30, 2009
  6. Naive Group User

    rf Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote in message
    > "Naive Group User" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    >> blocks of texts
    >> I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    >> out how to do that
    >> Someone could offer some hints please,
    >> Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    >> css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)
    >>
    >> Thank you :D
    >>

    > This just works:
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/

    How can something that is obviously a <spit> jQuery </spit> plugin not
    require javascript to work, for some yet to be difined value or "work", that
    is.

    > ...and does not require javascript to work. It degrades beautifully.

    Yes, it degrades beautifullly (with javascript disabled) to the original CSS
    based dropdown menu that the OP desired. And, IIRC, the OP specified no
    javascript.

    > You have the option to 'enhance' it with various javascripty niceties, but
    > you don't need them.

    Yes, we certainly don't need any <spit> jQuery </spit> enhancements, do we.

    > ...and, used properly, validates correctly with (X)HTML and CSS
    > validators.

    That's because it's all javascript.

    rf, Dec 30, 2009
  7. Naive Group User

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <c9ab1$4b3adc80$40717bba$>, DLU <> wrote:
    >Naive Group User wrote:
    >> I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    >> blocks of texts
    >> I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    >> out how to do that
    >> Someone could offer some hints please,
    >> Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    >> css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)
    >>
    >> Thank you :D
    >>

    >This was poster on alt.html 12/05
    >http://www.spammer.com/Drop_down_menus_in_HTML/Content.do?id=495

    Oh, please.
    1) That site has spammed their tutorials to nearly every computer-related
    group on Usenet.
    2) None of the tutorials are worth a damn.
    3) The site is incompetently written and designed. They have *no* business
    offering anyone advice about HTML. Running the HTML Validator at
    validator.w3.org against the URL you provided shows 93 errors, 36 warnings.
    This is *not* the place to go for HTML examples.

    Doug Miller, Dec 30, 2009
  8. Naive Group User

    SAZ Guest

    In article <hhel1s$jig$-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <>, Naive Group User <> wrote:
    > >I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    > >blocks of texts
    > >I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    > >out how to do that
    > >Someone could offer some hints please,

    > Google 'CSS dropdown menu'.
    >
    > This is a nice example:
    > http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html
    >
    > >Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    > >css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

    > Yes it is.
    > >Thank you :D

    The best part of your reply - your example DOES have javascript.

    To the OP - you need javascript.

    SAZ, Dec 30, 2009
  9. Naive Group User

    DLU Guest

    Doug Miller wrote:

    >> This was poster on alt.html 12/05
    >> http://www.spammer.com/Drop_down_menus_in_HTML/Content.do?id=495

    > Oh, please.
    > 1) That site has spammed their tutorials to nearly every computer-related
    > group on Usenet.
    > 2) None of the tutorials are worth a damn.
    > 3) The site is incompetently written and designed. They have *no* business
    > offering anyone advice about HTML. Running the HTML Validator at
    > validator.w3.org against the URL you provided shows 93 errors, 36 warnings.
    > This is *not* the place to go for HTML examples.

    I did not realize this, I saw the thread on alt.html and some responses.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 30, 2009
  10. Naive Group User

    SAZ Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com says...

    > In article <hhel1s$jig$-september.org>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > In article <>, Naive Group User <> wrote:
    > > >I have a menu made in css - the ul and li elements that display inline
    > > >blocks of texts
    > > >I'd like to have one of the item to be a dropdown but I can't figure
    > > >out how to do that
    > > >Someone could offer some hints please,

    > > Google 'CSS dropdown menu'.
    > >
    > > This is a nice example:
    > > http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html
    > >
    > > >Also, I prefer my site to be completely javascript-free, (all done in
    > > >css alone is definitely possible right ? :-D)

    > > Yes it is.
    > > >Thank you :D
    > > >

    > The best part of your reply - your example DOES have javascript.
    >
    > To the OP - you need javascript.

    My bad - I meant to reply to the asdf post about superfish, not this
    site. And for the superfish example, you need Javascript.

    In other words, I experienced Brain Freeze this morning.

    SAZ, Dec 30, 2009
  11. Naive Group User

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "asdf" <> wrote:

    > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > Yes, we certainly don't need any <spit> jQuery </spit> enhancements, do
    > > we.
    > >

    > Oh grow up.

    How about developing a sense of humour! There's not much time left this
    year...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 31, 2009
  12. Naive Group User

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "asdf" <> wrote:

    > "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message

    > > In other words, I experienced Brain Freeze this morning.
    > >

    > Clearly.

    You had to twist the knife eh!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 31, 2009
  13. Thanks everyboody

    Naive Group User, Dec 31, 2009
  14. Naive Group User

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "asdf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,

    > >> Clearly.

    > > You had to twist the knife eh!
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Yep... hate me yet?

    You must be kidding, son. But I get a bit embarrassed now and then... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 31, 2009
  15. Naive Group User

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 30 Dec 2009, "asdf" <> wrote:

    >>> Oh grow up.
    >>>

    >> How about developing a sense of humour! There's not much time left
    >> this year...
    >>
    >> --
    >> dorayme

    > Oh I've got one of those... but over the years it's been eroded by
    > usenet twats all desperately trying to bignote themselves, and jump
    > on the slightest grammatical or syntactical error, whilst totally
    > missing the point.

    Actually, there should be no comma between "themselves" and "and" or
    "error" and "whilst" and "whilst" is an archaic affectation to boot.

    > Happy New Year all!

    Well, I'll be another year older. Is that your idea of good?

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 31, 2009
  16. Naive Group User

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > In article <>,
    > "asdf" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message

    > > > In other words, I experienced Brain Freeze this morning.
    > > >

    > > Clearly.

    > You had to twist the knife eh!

    I deserved it. I hate working from home when the kids are around. Too
    many distractions.

    SAZ, Dec 31, 2009
  17. Naive Group User

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    ere says...

    > "SAZ" <saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <-september.org>,
    > > saz1958@!nospammersexcite.com says...
    > >>
    > >> In article <hhel1s$jig$-september.org>,
    > >> says...

    > >> The best part of your reply - your example DOES have javascript.
    > >>
    > >> To the OP - you need javascript.

    > > My bad - I meant to reply to the asdf post about superfish, not this
    > > site. And for the superfish example, you need Javascript.
    > >

    > No you don't. Without javascript, it works beautifully as a "pure" CSS drop
    > down menu. I've tried it with javascript disabled, and it just works on all
    > the browsers I have available to me.
    >
    > The javascript bits are for the various enhancements. You don't need to use
    > them, so therefore javascript is not required. Quite simple really.
    >
    > If you don't believe me, go to the page with javascript disabled, and you'll
    > see it all working just fine.
    >
    > > In other words, I experienced Brain Freeze this morning.

    Now I see that it does work. I guess I should have tried it before
    posting anything.

    SAZ, Dec 31, 2009