I just can't get rubygems to work. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by 7stud --, Mar 27, 2009.

  1. 7stud --

    7stud -- Guest

    My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
    mac is now one big cluster#$#$!. rubygems .9x was giving me problems--I
    have a pre-installed ruby 1.8.2 on my mac--so I tried to upgrade to
    rubygems 1.3.1 with the "rubygems 1.3.1 update", which is supposed to be
    an easy thing to do, but that didn't work for me either.

    Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
    1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
    solved. No such luck. I originally posted about the problems I am
    having in the wxruby forum here:

    http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

    because I was trying to get a wxruby gem to work. But my problem is
    really a general gem problem, so I think it is more appropriate to get
    help here, and hopefully more people will see my post.

    I am fully willing to wipe every trace of every version of rubygems off
    my computer and start anew if that would be easier and I could get
    instructions on how to do that.

    For the full story, I please read the post at the link above.

    Thanks for any help.

    7stud --, Mar 27, 2009

  2. 7stud --

    lasitha Guest

    Re: I just can't get rubygems to work. Can anyone help?

    On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud -- <> wrote:
    > My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
    > mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
    > [...]
    > Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
    > 1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
    > solved. =A0No such luck. =A0I originally posted about the problems I am
    > having in the wxruby forum here:
    >
    > http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new

    Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436

    In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
    accidentally installed in /Users/autie/.gem
    Did that not help?

    solidarity,
    lasitha.

    lasitha, Mar 27, 2009

  3. 7stud --

    7stud -- Guest

    lasitha wrote:
    > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud -- <>
    > wrote:
    >> My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
    >> mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
    >> [...]
    >> Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems
    >> 1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
    >> solved. �No such luck. �I originally posted about the problems I am
    >> having in the wxruby forum here:
    >>
    >> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new
    >>

    > Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
    > http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436
    >
    > In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
    > accidentally installed in /Users/me/.gem
    > Did that not help?

    Well, Mario said that would "probably" work, so I thought I would see if
    anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
    rm -rf, but I'm not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
    man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:

    $ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem

    will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
    directory if it is empty?

    7stud --, Mar 27, 2009
  4. 7stud --

    Todd Benson Guest

    On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, 7stud -- <> wrote:
    > lasitha wrote:
    >> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM, 7stud -- <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my
    >>> mac is now one big cluster#$#$!.
    >>> [...]
    >>> Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygem=

    >>> 1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be
    >>> solved. =EF=BF=BDNo such luck. =EF=BF=BDI originally posted about the p=

    roblems I am
    >>> having in the wxruby forum here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/182480#new
    >>>

    >> Hi, you may find this thread helpful:
    >> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/180436
    >>
    >> In your original thread, Mario suggested cleanuping up anything
    >> accidentally installed in /Users/me/.gem
    >> Did that not help?
    >>

    > Well, Mario said that would "probably" work, so I thought I would see if
    > anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
    > rm -rf, but I'm not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
    > man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:
    >
    > $ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem
    >
    > will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
    > directory if it is empty?

    On my system, no. Do a test...

    mkdir temp
    cd temp
    mkdir .gem
    cd .gem
    touch a b
    cd ../..
    rm -rf temp/.gem

    ls temp #nothing, but temp is still there.

    hth,
    Todd

    Todd Benson, Mar 27, 2009
  5. 7stud --

    7stud -- Guest

    Todd Benson wrote:
    > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, 7stud -- <>
    > wrote:
    >>>>

    >> Well, Mario said that would "probably" work, so I thought I would see if
    >> anyone could confirm that or not. The thread you linked to says to use
    >> rm -rf, but I'm not sure what path/file I should list, and I checked the
    >> man pages on rm, and that sounds a bit dangerous. If I do:
    >>
    >> $ rm -rf /Users/me/.gem
    >>
    >> will that delete /Users/me and /Users ? Or will it only delete a
    >> directory if it is empty?

    > On my system, no. Do a test...
    >
    > mkdir temp
    > cd temp
    > mkdir .gem
    > cd .gem
    > touch a b
    > cd ../..
    > rm -rf temp/.gem
    >
    > ls temp #nothing, but temp is still there.

    Ok. I did

    $ rm -r ~/.gem

    so that rm would ask me to confirm the files it was going to delete.
    After awhile, I did a ctrl+C to stop the command. Then I did

    $ rm -rf ~/.gem

    which deleted the .gem directory and all the files and directories
    beneath the .gem directory. Then I did:

    $ gem env
    RubyGems Environment:
    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.1
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
    - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
    - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-darwin-8
    - GEM PATHS:
    - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - /Users/me/.gem/ruby/1.8
    - GEM CONFIGURATION:
    - :update_sources => true
    - :verbose => true
    - :benchmark => false
    - :backtrace => false
    - :bulk_threshold => 1000
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org/

    Unfortunately, ~/.gem is still listed as a gem path--I suspected it
    would be.

    Then I dragged the gem wxruby-2.0.0-universal-darwin-9.gem onto my
    Desktop then I did:

    $ cd ~/Desktop

    $ sudo gem install wxruby-2.0.0-universal-darwin-9.gem

    No error messages.

    $ gem list --local
    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    fastercsv (1.2.3)
    hoe (1.5.0)
    hpricot (0.6)
    libxml-ruby (0.5.2.0)
    mechanize (0.7.0)
    rake (0.8.1)
    rubyforge (0.4.4)
    rubygems-update (1.0.1)
    wxruby (2.0.0)

    There's the wxruby gem. Then I tried running a simple wxruby program
    with the following lines at the top:

    require "rubygems"
    require "wx"

    and it worked. Miracle.

    $ which ruby
    /usr/local/bin/ruby

    $ ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]

    So I guess I'm setup--finally. I hope having two gem paths doesn't come
    back and bite me. Thanks everyone.

    7stud --, Mar 27, 2009