I need console output in a dialog-based app

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jeff, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi,

    I'm working on the speech module part of my intelligent jukebox
    project. (I'm developing a speech controlled juke box using the ms
    sapi for the voice part. The rest of the app is in JAVA.) Windows is
    giving me more problems than I expected. I have a problem I'm trying
    to solve which should be simple. (I haven't done any serious windows
    programming for about 3 years though.)

    It sure would be nice if windows gave programmer access to stdout at
    all times. I would like to send text to stdout or a console output so
    I can watch processing of my speech commands in real-time. I could
    send the output to a file, but then I have to keep reloading in order
    to watch the output.

    Right now I have a simple speech application which compiles as a
    dialog-based application. I have no idea how to send output to the
    console from a dialog-based app. For now I've resorted to sending
    output to an edit box. (Sending output to the edit box was much more
    complicated than I expected. I spent two hours trying to figure out
    just to scroll the thing.)

    I would rather send trace output to the console/stdout than use an
    edit box. I could create a new project in MS VC 6.0 as a console
    based application, which would give me easy access to the console, but
    I do not know windows programming well enough to restructure the
    speech app. I am not going to use any windows gui parts for this
    project, except for testing purposes.

    Here is a link to the app. I am working with:
    SAPI 5.0 Tutorial I: An Introduction to SAPI
    http://www.generation5.org/content/2001/sr00.asp

    Is there anyone here who can give me hand?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    OOPS! Sorry. I didn't mean to post this here! I will later though.

    Jeff, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm working on the speech module part of my intelligent jukebox
    > project. (I'm developing a speech controlled juke box using the ms
    > sapi for the voice part. The rest of the app is in JAVA.) Windows is
    > giving me more problems than I expected. I have a problem I'm trying
    > to solve which should be simple. (I haven't done any serious windows
    > programming for about 3 years though.)
    >
    > It sure would be nice if windows gave programmer access to stdout at
    > all times. I would like to send text to stdout or a console output so
    > I can watch processing of my speech commands in real-time. I could
    > send the output to a file, but then I have to keep reloading in order
    > to watch the output.
    >
    > Right now I have a simple speech application which compiles as a
    > dialog-based application. I have no idea how to send output to the
    > console from a dialog-based app.

    What?

    public class MyDialogApp extends JFrame
    {
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    System.out.println("This goes to the console.");

    > For now I've resorted to sending
    > output to an edit box. (Sending output to the edit box was much more
    > complicated than I expected. I spent two hours trying to figure out
    > just to scroll the thing.)

    You know, your entire life might proceed more easily if you set this project
    aside and read a Java textbook or two.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:57:14 -0700, Paul Lutus <>
    wrote:

    >You know, your entire life might proceed more easily if you set this project
    >aside and read a Java textbook or two.

    I have read Eckel's book "Thinking in JAVA.". I would use JAVA for
    the entire project, but I have no idea how to access the MS SAPI com
    objects from JAVA. I don't know where to start.

    I need to use the MS SAPI because it is the only speech application
    development application interface I can afford to use (free.) After I
    earn some money from this project I will purchase some open platform
    sapi tools and probably do the entire project on linux and java.

    I've examined sapi's on linux. Nothing that is free appears to come
    close in accuracy to MS's sapi. (I get about 99% accuracy with a
    vocabulary of 1000 music albums.) Accessing the MS sapi from JAVA
    also looks very complicated, something that could take me weeks or a
    lot more time to figure out given my level of experience.

    I'll post a new topic about what I want to do with my intelligent
    jukebox project tonight.

    Jeff, Aug 27, 2004