I need console output in a dialog-based app

Jeff

Hi,

I'm working on the speech module part of my intelligent jukebox
project. (I'm developing a speech controlled juke box using the ms
sapi for the voice part. The rest of the app is in JAVA.) Windows is
giving me more problems than I expected. I have a problem I'm trying
to solve which should be simple. (I haven't done any serious windows
programming for about 3 years though.)

It sure would be nice if windows gave programmer access to stdout at
all times. I would like to send text to stdout or a console output so
I can watch processing of my speech commands in real-time. I could
send the output to a file, but then I have to keep reloading in order
to watch the output.

Right now I have a simple speech application which compiles as a
dialog-based application. I have no idea how to send output to the
console from a dialog-based app. For now I've resorted to sending
output to an edit box. (Sending output to the edit box was much more
complicated than I expected. I spent two hours trying to figure out
just to scroll the thing.)

I would rather send trace output to the console/stdout than use an
edit box. I could create a new project in MS VC 6.0 as a console
based application, which would give me easy access to the console, but
I do not know windows programming well enough to restructure the
speech app. I am not going to use any windows gui parts for this
project, except for testing purposes.

Here is a link to the app. I am working with:
SAPI 5.0 Tutorial I: An Introduction to SAPI
http://www.generation5.org/content/2001/sr00.asp

Is there anyone here who can give me hand?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Paul Lutus

Jeff said:
[...]

What?

public class MyDialogApp extends JFrame
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
System.out.println("This goes to the console.");
For now I've resorted to sending
output to an edit box. (Sending output to the edit box was much more
complicated than I expected. I spent two hours trying to figure out
just to scroll the thing.)

You know, your entire life might proceed more easily if you set this project
aside and read a Java textbook or two.

Jeff

You know, your entire life might proceed more easily if you set this project
aside and read a Java textbook or two.

I have read Eckel's book "Thinking in JAVA.". I would use JAVA for
the entire project, but I have no idea how to access the MS SAPI com
objects from JAVA. I don't know where to start.

I need to use the MS SAPI because it is the only speech application
development application interface I can afford to use (free.) After I
earn some money from this project I will purchase some open platform
sapi tools and probably do the entire project on linux and java.

I've examined sapi's on linux. Nothing that is free appears to come
close in accuracy to MS's sapi. (I get about 99% accuracy with a
vocabulary of 1000 music albums.) Accessing the MS sapi from JAVA
also looks very complicated, something that could take me weeks or a
lot more time to figure out given my level of experience.

I'll post a new topic about what I want to do with my intelligent
jukebox project tonight.