I need some tips to begin a simple project

dutche

Hi, I'm new in Python and I'm learning with "Learning Python" oreilly's
book which is very good written and explanatory.

Now, that I know a bit of Python, I want to make some simple project, I
thought something like a menu, just like "kxdocks" menu or something
like that, with transparency and all with xml. But I dont know what
things I have to know.

PyGame is in it, right?

And I can use some other graphical interface, like OpenGL? Or with
PyGame I can do an animattion like zooming the icon image when hover?

All sugestions would be very nice :)

Thanks for all

Simon Hibbs

PyGame is in it, right?

Python comes with a basic GUI toolkit called Tk with basic stuff such
as buttons, text and graphics widgets, menus, etc.

PyGame is a seperate package that you can download that makes it fairly
easy to create games. There are also additional libraries that make
PyGame programing even easier.

Having said all that, Python isn't magic. I'd recommend doing something
simple first, such as a calculator or a text editor. These are very
easy to do, but will cover the basics of creating a user interface,
manipulating data and accessing files.

Simon Hibbs

codefire

dutche said:
Now, that I know a bit of Python, I want to make some simple project, I
thought something like a menu, just like "kxdocks" menu or something
like that, with transparency and all with xml. But I dont know what
things I have to know.

Start with some simple non-gui apps first. How about a text based
lottery number picker program - you can add a GUI later :)

Writing GUI apps takes a bit of experience - I have done it in other
languages but not Python (yet).

There are several good GUI toolkits TK as mentioned and also wxPython
is worth looking at.

Tony

Magnus Lycka

dutche said:
Hi, I'm new in Python and I'm learning with "Learning Python" oreilly's
book which is very good written and explanatory.

You're not saying how new you are to programming (particularly
GUI programming) in general. Python itself is probably not the
tricky part here.
And I can use some other graphical interface, like OpenGL? Or with
PyGame I can do an animattion like zooming the icon image when hover?

It seems to me that PyGame might be a candidate for the kind of stuff
you want to do, although I'm no expert in that. I'd download it and
play with it. There are some PyGame tutorials and example code to
get you started.

Good Luck!