i/o prob revisited

saif.shakeel

Hi,
I am parsing an xml file ,before that i have replaced a string in
the original xml file with another and made a new xml file which will
now be parsed.I am also opening some more files for output.The
following code shows some i/o commands.
file_input = raw_input("Enter The ODX File Path:")
input_xml = open(file_input,'r')

(shortname,ext)=os.path.splitext(file_input)
f_open_out=shortname+".ini"
log=shortname+".xls"
test_file=shortname+"testxml.xml"

saveout = sys.stdout

xmlcont=input_xml.read()
input_xml.close()

xmlcont=xmlcont.replace('localId','dataPackageId')

output_file = open(test_file,"w")
output_file.write(xmlcont)
output_file.close()

f_open=open(f_open_out, 'w')
logfile=open(log,"w")
sys.stdout = f_open

After this i have to parse the new xml file which is in
output_file .hence

input_xml_sec = open(output_file,'r')
xmldoc = minidom.parse(input_xml_sec)

But i am getting an error on this line
(input_xml_sec = open(output_file,'r')).I have tried to figure out
but
not able to debug.Can someone throw some light or anything they feel
could be going wrong somewhere.
How do i capture the error as it vanishes very
qucikly when i run through command prompt,(the idle envir gives
indentation errors for no reason(which runs perfectly from cmd
prompt),hence i dont run using conventional F5.

half.italian

[...]

http://docs.python.org/tut/

Read carefully.

saif.shakeel

http://docs.python.org/tut/

Read carefully.- Hide quoted text -

ok i am able to trace the error ...It says:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Projects\ODX Import\code_ini\odxparse_mod.py", line 294, in
<module>
input_xml_sec = open(output_file,'r')
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, file found
Any solutions.
Thanks

Tim Roberts

ok i am able to trace the error ...It says:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Projects\ODX Import\code_ini\odxparse_mod.py", line 294, in
<module>
input_xml_sec = open(output_file,'r')
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, file found
Any solutions.

I don't see how the error could possibly make it any clearer. "open"
expects a file name. "output_file" is not a file NAME. It is a file
OBJECT. If you want to reopen that file, then pass the file NAME here.