i18n/localization-- easily??

Ixokai

I want to add internationalization to the software i'm writing now, but have
run into a bit of a snag.

It seems so darn complicated! Importing gettext, forcing it to grab the .mo
from the correct location(nessecarily a bit non-standard in this situation),
and using _() around my strings, those are all easy.

But generating the .pot's seems impossibly complicated. Am I wrong or do I
need to run pygettext on every single file in my system, manually? Then
msgfmt? I was hoping that I could run it once, have it scan all of the
python files referenced, and have it generate some global 'messages.pot',
that I could then append to with subsequent executations (on different
files).

This doesn't appear to be the case. Did I miss something terribly? :)

Thanks

--Stephen

Ixokai said:
I want to add internationalization to the software i'm writing now, but have
run into a bit of a snag.

It seems so darn complicated! Importing gettext, forcing it to grab the .mo
from the correct location(nessecarily a bit non-standard in this situation),
and using _() around my strings, those are all easy.

But generating the .pot's seems impossibly complicated. Am I wrong or do I
need to run pygettext on every single file in my system, manually? Then
msgfmt? I was hoping that I could run it once, have it scan all of the
python files referenced, and have it generate some global 'messages.pot',
that I could then append to with subsequent executations (on different
files).

This doesn't appear to be the case. Did I miss something terribly? :)

Yes there are a lot of things to worry about.
I summarised a few things here:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/i18n.html

In summary pygettext is redundant now as the standard
xgettext supports python code. The handiest way
to do all this is in a Makefile. I would suggest
downloading my python program and referencing
the Makefile in the po directory:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/fslint/FSlint-2.06.tar.gz

Pádraig.