IDE with a specific feature

Daniel Klein

I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.

I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.

This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

Daniel Klein

Riccardo Attilio Galli

I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.

I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.
[SNIP]
Daniel Klein

Maybe Jedit is what your looking for.
You can split the window to see 2 or more different files simultaneously,
or the same file in different position.

Matches it your search?

Ciao,
Riccardo

--
-=Riccardo Galli=-

_,e.
s~ ``
~@. ideralis Programs
.. ol
`**~ http://www.sideralis.net

F. GEIGER

Wing can do that too: Open both the editor and the source browser. In the
source browser select a method being in the module shown in the editor and
then select "Source".

Cheers
Franz

Bob

Hi Dan-

I use UltraEdit. Works well for me. Works well for jbase development too.
:)

-Bob Coleman, Portland OR

Y2KYZFR1

Daniel Klein said:
I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.

I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.

This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

Daniel Klein

If you mean screen splitting, Active Python does this because it has
all the features of VisualStudio built in. As does Visual Slickedit
and many others.

Michael Geary

I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.

I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.

This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

It's good to be able to view more than one part of a source file, and of
course you'll want to rule out IDEs that don't meet your basic requirements.
But there are a lot of other things that can make you love or hate an
IDE--so why don't you download a few of them and try them out for yourself?
I tried all of the IDEs mentioned in this thread and quickly found that
Komodo fit my taste the best. (And it does let you view two portions of a
file at once--although it would be better if it allowed more splits than
that.)

I like PythonWin too, but the others didn't do it for me at all. Not getting
into a "which IDE is best" conversation :) but a couple of my requirements
were ClearType support and an interface that wouldn't be confusing when
switching back and forth between a Python IDE and Microsoft Visual Studio.
Obviously, other people will have different priorities.

So go try out a few different IDEs--it didn't take very long for me to do
that.

-Mike

Peter Milliken

Emacs - allows screen splitting vertically and horizontally into as many
sections as you can handle on your monitor i.e. I have a 17" monitor and
find 4 buffers visible at any time to be about right for comfort, but
occassionally I'll split even one of these into two (horizontally of
course - at this point you can't read much if you split vertically :)).
Quite often one of them is the Python interpretor session in which I am
debugging source I am looking at in another screen buffer.......

Emacs also has a supports package/mode available called escreen - this is a
"duplication" (for Emacs) of the Unix screen utility - it basically allows
multiple screens (the screen utility on Unix allowed multiple virtual
terminals on a character based terminal), each of which you can then split
as you like. So you can get some quite complicated combinations all within
the same edit session (of course multiple "screens" like this aren't visible
at once).

Peter

Andy Todd

Daniel said:
I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.

I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.

This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

Daniel Klein

No one else has mentioned it, but Vim does this too. Just type ":split".
I believe Vim 6 has support for horizontal or vertical splits as well.

Regards,
Andy

Trent Mick

[Daniel Klein wrote]
I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.

I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.

This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

Daniel,

You can do this in Komodo 2.5 (recently released) with "split view":
- open your file
- right-click on the tab and select "Split View"

The screen shot on this page shows an example of "dlg_tcl_check.tcl"
being shown in split view:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

Cheers,
Trent (Komodo Developer)