    This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
    useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

    Daniel Klein

    Daniel Klein, Sep 28, 2003

  2. On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:29:12 -0700, Daniel Klein wrote:

    > I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
    > looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
    > methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.
    >
    > I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
    > it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.
    > [SNIP]
    > Daniel Klein

    Maybe Jedit is what your looking for.
    You can split the window to see 2 or more different files simultaneously,
    or the same file in different position.

    Matches it your search?

    Ciao,
    Riccardo

    --
    -=Riccardo Galli=-

    _,e.
    s~ ``
    ~@. ideralis Programs
    .. ol
    `**~ http://www.sideralis.net

    Riccardo Attilio Galli, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Daniel Klein

    F. GEIGER Guest

    Wing can do that too: Open both the editor and the source browser. In the
    source browser select a method being in the module shown in the editor and
    then select "Source".

    Cheers
    Franz

    F. GEIGER, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Daniel Klein

    Bob Guest

    Hi Dan-

    I use UltraEdit. Works well for me. Works well for jbase development too.
    :)

    -Bob Coleman, Portland OR

    Bob, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Daniel Klein

    Y2KYZFR1 Guest

    Daniel Klein <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
    > looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
    > methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.
    >
    > I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
    > it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.
    >
    > This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
    > useful when working on several methods that work closely together.
    >
    > Daniel Klein

    If you mean screen splitting, Active Python does this because it has
    all the features of VisualStudio built in. As does Visual Slickedit
    and many others.

    Y2KYZFR1, Sep 29, 2003
  6. > I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
    > looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
    > methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.
    >
    > I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
    > it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.
    >
    > This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
    > useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

    It's good to be able to view more than one part of a source file, and of
    course you'll want to rule out IDEs that don't meet your basic requirements.
    But there are a lot of other things that can make you love or hate an
    IDE--so why don't you download a few of them and try them out for yourself?
    I tried all of the IDEs mentioned in this thread and quickly found that
    Komodo fit my taste the best. (And it does let you view two portions of a
    file at once--although it would be better if it allowed more splits than
    that.)

    I like PythonWin too, but the others didn't do it for me at all. Not getting
    into a "which IDE is best" conversation :) but a couple of my requirements
    were ClearType support and an interface that wouldn't be confusing when
    switching back and forth between a Python IDE and Microsoft Visual Studio.
    Obviously, other people will have different priorities.

    So go try out a few different IDEs--it didn't take very long for me to do
    that.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Emacs - allows screen splitting vertically and horizontally into as many
    sections as you can handle on your monitor i.e. I have a 17" monitor and
    find 4 buffers visible at any time to be about right for comfort, but
    occassionally I'll split even one of these into two (horizontally of
    course - at this point you can't read much if you split vertically :)).
    Quite often one of them is the Python interpretor session in which I am
    debugging source I am looking at in another screen buffer.......

    Emacs also has a supports package/mode available called escreen - this is a
    "duplication" (for Emacs) of the Unix screen utility - it basically allows
    multiple screens (the screen utility on Unix allowed multiple virtual
    terminals on a character based terminal), each of which you can then split
    as you like. So you can get some quite complicated combinations all within
    the same edit session (of course multiple "screens" like this aren't visible
    at once).

    Peter

    Peter Milliken, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Daniel Klein

    Andy Todd Guest

    Daniel Klein wrote:

    > I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
    > looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
    > methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.
    >
    > I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
    > it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.
    >
    > This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
    > useful when working on several methods that work closely together.
    >
    > Daniel Klein

    No one else has mentioned it, but Vim does this too. Just type ":split".
    I believe Vim 6 has support for horizontal or vertical splits as well.

    Regards,
    Andy
    From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

    Andy Todd, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Daniel Klein

    Trent Mick Guest

    [Daniel Klein wrote]
    > I don't want to get into a 'which IDE is the best' conversation. I'm
    > looking for an IDE that has the ability to view 2 (or more)
    > methods/functions within the same module simultaneously.
    >
    > I've looked at the screen shots for Komodo, Wing, BlackAdder, etc and
    > it is not obvious that any of them have this feature.
    >
    > This is something I got use to in Smalltalk and have found it quite
    > useful when working on several methods that work closely together.

    Daniel,

    You can do this in Komodo 2.5 (recently released) with "split view":
    - open your file
    - right-click on the tab and select "Split View"

    The screen shot on this page shows an example of "dlg_tcl_check.tcl"
    being shown in split view:
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

    Cheers,
    Trent (Komodo Developer)