Ideas sought on sending large files over webservices

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Stephen Ahn, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. Stephen Ahn

    Stephen Ahn Guest

    Hello,

    We need to send files in the order of 5 to 20 Megabytes (eg. word documents)
    via webservices using donet 1.1.
    The clients could have slow links using 56K dial up modems.
    I've seen some articles suggesting the use of WSE and DIME attachments (for
    dotnet 1.1), and WSE.
    There's also MTOM, but we would like to stay with dotnet 1.1 for now.

    Someone has also suggested Windows' BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer
    Service).
    Has anyone here tried using BITS with their webservice for this sort of
    thing ?

    Any ideas appreciated.

    TIA,
    Stephen
    Stephen Ahn, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Stephen Ahn

    Chris Arnold Guest

    Hi Stephan,

    DIME would do the job - but you have an extra overhead of WSE to deal with
    if it's not currently part of your design.

    You could, quite easily, develop your own 'chunk' model to send multiple,
    fixed-length byte arrays read from a BinaryReader; then 're-compiled' at the
    server.

    I would avoid BITS like to proverbial plague! We literally spent weeks
    attempting to implement a solutions using MS's new baby. If you are
    distributing to corporate clients who (like most) turn off Windows automatic
    updates it will fail. More fundamentally, however, is its complete lack of
    any method to deal with authenticating proxy servers!!! When BITS works it
    is, indeed, very fast but, like I said 'avoid until MS get it working'!

    Have you considered FTPing the data? The only 2 disadvantages I can see to
    this are 1. has your client opened the correct port? and 2. you would have
    to send the login and password details unencrypted (even if the resultant
    connection were encrypted).

    Hope this helps :)

    Chris

    Chris Arnold, Jan 31, 2006

  3. Stephen Ahn

    Stephen Ahn Guest

    Chris,

    Thanks for your response.
    Could you tell me which version of BITS you tried out ?

    Thanks,
    Stephen

    Stephen Ahn, Feb 1, 2006