Ideas wanted please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Terry Pinnell, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. I'd appreciate hearing how others would tackle the following simple
    exercise please. I've finally got around after some 6 months to
    publishing photos of my 2005 Thames Path walk on my home pages:
    http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/terrypin/Walks/TP05/walkphotos05.htm
    (Links to the two previous years' walks are also included.)

    As you see, the layout is basic layout and so is the presentation
    method: each captioned thumbnail takes you to an individual enlarged
    photo (about 640 x 420, made by resizing the edited originals). But
    that loses the captions, and I'd like them included.

    I've experimented before with adding captions within the photo itself,
    but don't really like the result, which can spoil the composition.

    So I'm now considering making new images, say about 640 x 440, with
    the caption in the added white space below the photo.

    (As an aside, anyone have any ideas on fast/automated ways of
    achieving that? Doing it manually for each image will be tedious.
    Given that the text already exists under the thumbnails, it should be
    possible somehow to automate it...)

    But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    size, complete with captions?

    I'm relatively inexperienced with low level HTML coding, and use
    FrontPage 2000 for most of my stuff.


    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 8, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Jim Higson Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > I'd appreciate hearing how others would tackle the following simple
    > exercise please. I've finally got around after some 6 months to
    > publishing photos of my 2005 Thames Path walk on my home pages:
    > http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/terrypin/Walks/TP05/walkphotos05.htm
    > (Links to the two previous years' walks are also included.)
    >
    > As you see, the layout is basic layout and so is the presentation
    > method: each captioned thumbnail takes you to an individual enlarged
    > photo (about 640 x 420, made by resizing the edited originals). But
    > that loses the captions, and I'd like them included.
    >
    > I've experimented before with adding captions within the photo itself,
    > but don't really like the result, which can spoil the composition.
    >
    > So I'm now considering making new images, say about 640 x 440, with
    > the caption in the added white space below the photo.
    >
    > (As an aside, anyone have any ideas on fast/automated ways of
    > achieving that? Doing it manually for each image will be tedious.
    > Given that the text already exists under the thumbnails, it should be
    > possible somehow to automate it...)
    >
    > But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    > better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    > size, complete with captions?
    >
    > I'm relatively inexperienced with low level HTML coding, and use
    > FrontPage 2000 for most of my stuff.


    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf/?ca=dnt-428
    and
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf2/?ca=dgr-lnxw15GraphicsLine
    could do what you want pretty quickly.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Mar 8, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'd appreciate hearing how others would tackle the following simple
    > exercise please. I've finally got around after some 6 months to
    > publishing photos of my 2005 Thames Path walk on my home pages:
    > http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/terrypin/Walks/TP05/walkphotos05.htm
    > (Links to the two previous years' walks are also included.)
    >
    > As you see, the layout is basic layout and so is the presentation
    > method: each captioned thumbnail takes you to an individual enlarged
    > photo (about 640 x 420, made by resizing the edited originals). But
    > that loses the captions, and I'd like them included.
    >
    > I've experimented before with adding captions within the photo itself,
    > but don't really like the result, which can spoil the composition.
    >
    > So I'm now considering making new images, say about 640 x 440, with
    > the caption in the added white space below the photo.
    >
    > (As an aside, anyone have any ideas on fast/automated ways of
    > achieving that? Doing it manually for each image will be tedious.
    > Given that the text already exists under the thumbnails, it should be
    > possible somehow to automate it...)
    >
    > But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    > better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    > size, complete with captions?
    >
    > I'm relatively inexperienced with low level HTML coding, and use
    > FrontPage 2000 for most of my stuff.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK


    I used to live in Staines and support Reading FC!
    Paul Watt, Mar 8, 2006
    #3
  4. Jim Higson <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> I'd appreciate hearing how others would tackle the following simple
    >> exercise please. I've finally got around after some 6 months to
    >> publishing photos of my 2005 Thames Path walk on my home pages:
    >> http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/terrypin/Walks/TP05/walkphotos05.htm
    >> (Links to the two previous years' walks are also included.)
    >>
    >> As you see, the layout is basic layout and so is the presentation
    >> method: each captioned thumbnail takes you to an individual enlarged
    >> photo (about 640 x 420, made by resizing the edited originals). But
    >> that loses the captions, and I'd like them included.
    >>
    >> I've experimented before with adding captions within the photo itself,
    >> but don't really like the result, which can spoil the composition.
    >>
    >> So I'm now considering making new images, say about 640 x 440, with
    >> the caption in the added white space below the photo.
    >>
    >> (As an aside, anyone have any ideas on fast/automated ways of
    >> achieving that? Doing it manually for each image will be tedious.
    >> Given that the text already exists under the thumbnails, it should be
    >> possible somehow to automate it...)
    >>
    >> But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    >> better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    >> size, complete with captions?
    >>
    >> I'm relatively inexperienced with low level HTML coding, and use
    >> FrontPage 2000 for most of my stuff.

    >
    >http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf/?ca=dnt-428
    >and
    >http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf2/?ca=dgr-lnxw15GraphicsLine
    >could do what you want pretty quickly.


    Thanks Jim, downloading ImageMagick now and will study. Never been too
    comfortable with command line stuff, but if it does the job...#

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 8, 2006
    #4
  5. Terry Pinnell

    David Segall Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    >better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    >size, complete with captions?

    Have a look at JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/>. Its output is HTML and it
    provides templates and CSS that you can change to produce almost any
    format you like.
    David Segall, Mar 9, 2006
    #5
  6. David Segall <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    >>better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    >>size, complete with captions?

    >Have a look at JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/>. Its output is HTML and it
    >provides templates and CSS that you can change to produce almost any
    >format you like.


    Thanks David. Prompted by your post (and another similar
    recommendation today elsewhere) I've just realised that I did in fact
    already install JAlbum a long time back, but have never really used
    it. After updating to 6.3, I've been playing with it, and it does
    indeed look good.

    However, one facility that I've so far been unable to find is the key
    reason for my original post, namely viewing captions with the large
    picture. Can you/anyone point me in the right direction to achieve
    that please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 9, 2006
    #6
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Jim Higson Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Jim Higson <> wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd appreciate hearing how others would tackle the following simple
    >>> exercise please. I've finally got around after some 6 months to
    >>> publishing photos of my 2005 Thames Path walk on my home pages:
    >>> http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/terrypin/Walks/TP05/walkphotos05.htm
    >>> (Links to the two previous years' walks are also included.)
    >>>
    >>> As you see, the layout is basic layout and so is the presentation
    >>> method: each captioned thumbnail takes you to an individual enlarged
    >>> photo (about 640 x 420, made by resizing the edited originals). But
    >>> that loses the captions, and I'd like them included.
    >>>
    >>> I've experimented before with adding captions within the photo itself,
    >>> but don't really like the result, which can spoil the composition.
    >>>
    >>> So I'm now considering making new images, say about 640 x 440, with
    >>> the caption in the added white space below the photo.
    >>>
    >>> (As an aside, anyone have any ideas on fast/automated ways of
    >>> achieving that? Doing it manually for each image will be tedious.
    >>> Given that the text already exists under the thumbnails, it should be
    >>> possible somehow to automate it...)
    >>>
    >>> But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    >>> better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    >>> size, complete with captions?
    >>>
    >>> I'm relatively inexperienced with low level HTML coding, and use
    >>> FrontPage 2000 for most of my stuff.

    >>
    >>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf/?ca=dnt-428
    >>and
    >>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf2/?ca=dgr-lnxw15GraphicsLine
    >>could do what you want pretty quickly.

    >
    > Thanks Jim, downloading ImageMagick now and will study. Never been too
    > comfortable with command line stuff, but if it does the job...#


    I can't help on the command to use for your particular problem, but I know
    it is possible. If your comfortable enough with the command line to enter a
    line someone else gives you, you could always ask on the imagemagick
    mailing list and I'd guess they'd help out.

    In general, the command line is good because it lets you do things the
    original program creators didn't think of. For example, I recently had to
    produce raster images containing the first few hundread square numbers. I
    don't think this could have easily been done with GUI software.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Mar 10, 2006
    #7
  8. Jim Higson <> wrote:

    >In general, the command line is good because it lets you do things the
    >original program creators didn't think of. For example, I recently had to
    >produce raster images containing the first few hundread square numbers. I
    >don't think this could have easily been done with GUI software.


    Thanks.

    I'm curious about that interesting last point. You mean you had to
    produce N images, each just containing a single number 1, 4, 9... etc?
    Of a certain size and font/background colour?

    If so, I suppose I'd have fired up IrfanView and played with my
    keystroke-entering macro program, Stiletto (now obsolete), to automate
    a series of operations like:
    - Open new file
    - Draw a text rectangle
    - Copy text from a pre-established Excel column, selecting next row
    each time
    - Pasted it into IV's text box (using pre-established font size and
    colour, etc)
    - Saved file


    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 10, 2006
    #8
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Jim Higson Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Jim Higson <> wrote:
    >
    >>In general, the command line is good because it lets you do things the
    >>original program creators didn't think of. For example, I recently had to
    >>produce raster images containing the first few hundread square numbers. I
    >>don't think this could have easily been done with GUI software.

    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > I'm curious about that interesting last point. You mean you had to
    > produce N images, each just containing a single number 1, 4, 9... etc?
    > Of a certain size and font/background colour?
    >
    > If so, I suppose I'd have fired up IrfanView and played with my
    > keystroke-entering macro program, Stiletto (now obsolete), to automate
    > a series of operations like:
    > - Open new file
    > - Draw a text rectangle
    > - Copy text from a pre-established Excel column, selecting next row
    > each time
    > - Pasted it into IV's text box (using pre-established font size and
    > colour, etc)
    > - Saved file


    Ok, I suppose this would be *possible* in a GUI, but it is much simpler as
    scripting once you are familiar with it because you have direct access to
    loops, maths etc.

    Also, GUI-imitating macros can fail if the layout of Excel or whatever
    changes in future.

    Maybe you are familiar with a scripting language such as PHP? I mention PHP
    because it is often used to make HTML so it is likely you are familiar with
    it, this being alt.html and all, but there are many other languages that
    could be used for this task.

    The PHP-ish psudo-code is something like:

    for( $i = 0 to 200 )
    { $square = $i*$i;
    `convert base_image.png --write $square numberedimage-$i.png`;
    }


    Another interesting possiblity is generating images on a web server as
    requested, in the same way that many servers only generate HTML as it is
    asked for. You can do some funky stuff this way.

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Mar 10, 2006
    #9
  10. David Segall <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >>But what other approaches would others recommend please? IOW, what are
    >>better methods of allowing the photos to be displayed at that larger
    >>size, complete with captions?

    >Have a look at JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/>. Its output is HTML and it
    >provides templates and CSS that you can change to produce almost any
    >format you like.


    JAlbum is just great - so pleased you and others recommended it, thank
    you.

    I'm trying the BluBlu Plus skin which I reckon will be excellent for
    my needs.

    However, I've been struggling with a LINKS issue for hours now, and
    would greatly appreciate a bit of help please, from anyone who knows
    JAlbum.

    In brief, it's clearly something to do with this message, on choosing
    my preferred option of 'Link to originals'.
    "The created album will contain links to original files outside the
    output directory!
    If you are uploading the album to a web server, make sure you also
    upload the original files and not just the output directory..."

    But just *where* do I have to place these original images? I reckon
    I've tried just about everywhere. Yet if I go here
    http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/terrypin/Walks/
    I see the main page, but don't get any large pictures displayed.

    For example, here is the status of my folder structure on my Pipex
    Dialspace server at present (viewing it with CuteFTP):

    /Walks
    /images03 <--- Copy of my original image folder, latest try!
    /res <--- Created by JA
    /slides <--- Created by JA
    /thumbs <--- Created by JA
    /TP03 <--- This contains the originals, i.e /Walks/TP03/images03
    /TP04 <--- My own Thames Path 2004 folder
    /TP05 <--- My own Thames Path 2005 folder
    index.htm <--- Created by JA

    As you see, I followed up the Publish procedure in JAlbum by copying
    the images03 folder from my HD to the server under the Walks folder.
    That doesn't work. Nor if I put it in the slides folder. Or individual
    images in either. Yet it works fine when I View Album in JAlbum.

    I also have a mental block about why this manual intervention is
    necessary anyway? As I've specified the image folder to JAlbum, why
    can it not automate all of this?

    FWIW, these are the settings I made in JA:
    Main tab
    --------
    Image directory D:\Docs\Website Design\Home\Walks\TP03\images03
    Output directory D:\Docs\Website Design\Home\Walks\TP03-JAlbum

    FTP connection properties
    ---------------------------
    FTP server dsftp.dial.pipex.comn
    Web directory [Left this blank **]
    Remote directory Walks ***

    ** The pop-up help for this box says
    "Directory under FTP directory that is web published (leave blank if
    same directory)"
    Don't really grasp that, so left it blank for now.

    *** "Directory for album on remote server"

    Also, I sometimes appear to be inadvertently triggering a slide show
    (or it would be, if the photos were displayed), with continual
    skipping to subsequent pages.

    I'll press on, but basically I'm now baffled. Trial and error is not
    the way to do this!
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 10, 2006
    #10
  11. Jim Higson <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> Jim Higson <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In general, the command line is good because it lets you do things the
    >>>original program creators didn't think of. For example, I recently had to
    >>>produce raster images containing the first few hundread square numbers. I
    >>>don't think this could have easily been done with GUI software.

    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> I'm curious about that interesting last point. You mean you had to
    >> produce N images, each just containing a single number 1, 4, 9... etc?
    >> Of a certain size and font/background colour?
    >>
    >> If so, I suppose I'd have fired up IrfanView and played with my
    >> keystroke-entering macro program, Stiletto (now obsolete), to automate
    >> a series of operations like:
    >> - Open new file
    >> - Draw a text rectangle
    >> - Copy text from a pre-established Excel column, selecting next row
    >> each time
    >> - Pasted it into IV's text box (using pre-established font size and
    >> colour, etc)
    >> - Saved file

    >
    >Ok, I suppose this would be *possible* in a GUI, but it is much simpler as
    >scripting once you are familiar with it because you have direct access to
    >loops, maths etc.
    >
    >Also, GUI-imitating macros can fail if the layout of Excel or whatever
    >changes in future.
    >
    >Maybe you are familiar with a scripting language such as PHP? I mention PHP
    >because it is often used to make HTML so it is likely you are familiar with
    >it, this being alt.html and all, but there are many other languages that
    >could be used for this task.
    >
    >The PHP-ish psudo-code is something like:
    >
    >for( $i = 0 to 200 )
    >{ $square = $i*$i;
    > `convert base_image.png --write $square numberedimage-$i.png`;
    >}
    >
    >
    >Another interesting possiblity is generating images on a web server as
    >requested, in the same way that many servers only generate HTML as it is
    >asked for. You can do some funky stuff this way.


    Thanks for the follow-up Jim. Unfortunately I haven't learned any
    scripting language. Would like to though, as I see it mentioned so
    often.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 10, 2006
    #11
  12. Success! Well, the main issue anyway, of where to upload the original
    images. Embarrassingly, after changing to captioned images, I had
    *deleted* the originals (no captions) from their location within
    /TP03! On restoring them, the structure is now:

    /Walks
    /res <--- Created by JA
    /slides <--- Created by JA
    /thumbs <--- Created by JA
    /TP03 <--- This does now contain the originals
    /images03 <--- DULY RESTORED!
    /TP04 <--- My own Thames Path 2004 folder
    /TP05 <--- My own Thames Path 2005 folder
    index.htm <--- Created by JA

    I've done the latest round of uploading with CuteFTP, as I can see
    what I'm doing better that way. I'll persevere with JA's Publish
    process though; I'm sure it can't be that difficult. Still like to
    understand some of those settings I mentioned a bit better.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Mar 10, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Harvey
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    691
    Harvey
    Jul 16, 2004
  2. Harvey
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    834
    Daniel
    Jul 16, 2004
  3. Brian Piotrowski

    Response Buffer Error - Ideas Please!

    Brian Piotrowski, Sep 7, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,207
    Thomas Dodds
    Sep 7, 2004
  4. KK
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    545
    Big Brian
    Oct 14, 2003
  5. Daniel Finnie
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    113
    Daniel Finnie
    Dec 19, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page