Identifying Animated GIFs

Rhino

How can I analyze a GIF file with Java code to determine whether it is a
single static GIF or an animated GIF?

--
Rhino
---

Rationem

An animated gif file will have an extra header.

The GIF Header is 12 bytes plus the Color Table (which is num colors *
3)
12bytes + (255 * 3)bytes = 777bytes

After those bytes you can attempt to read one more byte
If it is the byte is....
0x2c The image block has started. There is no animation
0x21 Read the next byte. If the next byte is....
0xff Application Extension (++++ ANIMATED ++++)
0xf9 Graphics Control Block (++++ NOT animated ++++)

Regular GIF (87 + 89): (87 does not have graphics control ext)

[GIF Header]
[Graphics Control]
[Image Block]
[Trailer]

An animated GIF:

[GIF Header]
[Application Control]
[
[Graphics Control]
[Image Block]
]

Rhino

Rhino said:
How can I analyze a GIF file with Java code to determine whether it is a
single static GIF or an animated GIF?
Thank you both for your suggestions!

Rhino