identifying live hosts on a network

hunteroakesgun

HI
I am new to python and am having trouble coming up with a script that
idenifies all the live hosts on my network.
thanks Hunter

Philipp Hagemeister

We acknowledge your problems with a network script idenifying live hosts
on your network.

Seriously, you have to tell us a little bit more so that we can help
you. How about you actually post the script, and actually post the
trouble (What exactly do you expect? What exactly do you see? What other
steps have you tried?)

Philipp

HI
I am new to python and am having trouble coming up with a script that
idenifies all the live hosts on my network.
thanks Hunter

Aahz

I am new to python and am having trouble coming up with a script that
idenifies all the live hosts on my network.

First you need to define what constitutes a "live host".
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In 1968 it took the computing power of 2 C-64's to fly a rocket to the moon.
Now, in 1998 it takes the Power of a Pentium 200 to run Microsoft Windows 98.
Something must have gone wrong." --/bin/fortune

Matias Surdi

(e-mail address removed) escribió:
HI
I am new to python and am having trouble coming up with a script that
idenifies all the live hosts on my network.
thanks Hunter

I've done this in the past with the great help of nmap:

# nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/23

this will find hosts "alive" from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254

From python, you can use it by saving it's output to a file and then
reading or with the help of os.popen.

In this case, "alive" means that the hosts with the ip being analyzed
responds to ARPs. see the manpage for nmap.

Matias.