ides

Jussi Jumppanen

Malcolm said:
NT was designed and built from scratch under ....

I do not beleive it was in anyway "based" on OS/2.

When I first started programming OS/2 I read this book:

Charles Petzold's, "Programming OS/2"

Later I moved to Windows and read this book:

Charles Petzold's, "Programming Windows"

To my suprise the two books where almost identical.

I am not sure who wrote what but to me it appeared that parts
of Windows re-written and for OS/2 (ie messaging system) and
some parts of OS/2 where all new (ie non gui and GDI layers).

OS/2 seemed to fix all the stupid messaging problems that
still exists in windows today. For example Windows can generate
a WM_SYSKEYDOWN, WM_KEYDOWN, WM_CHAR, WM_SYSDEADCHAR, WM_KEYUP
when a single key is pressed, where as OS/2 does the smart thing
and generates just a single WM_CHAR message.

Also when NT arrived it seemed to a lot of the OS/2 non GUI
functions with just a slight name change:

ie DosCreateThread became CreateThread

To this day I still think OS/2 was a better system than Windows
at least from a programming API prespective.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows (All new version 3.92 out now)
"The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com