    tried ctrl - C and it didn't work. I have to restart IDLE to use it
    again.

    My system is Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I used apt-get to install IDLE.
    Forrest Sheng Bao, Oct 24, 2009

  2. Forrest Sheng Bao

    Donny Guest

    I have this problem as well. I'm on Windows XP (32-bit x86 processor)
    using Python 2.6.4 and matplotlib 0.99.1 (installed with
    matplotlib-0.99.1.win32-py2.6.exe). The IDLE version is 2.6.4. The
    difficulty occurs for me during the first example of the (official?)
    Pyplot tutorial at <http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/
    pyplot_tutorial.html>, so it is possible that many new users of pyplot
    experience this same difficulty:

    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    plt.plot([1,2,3])
    plt.ylabel('some numbers')
    plt.show()

    I see the plot, and I can close the plot window by clicking on the X
    at the upper-right corner of the plot window. However, as Forrest
    mentioned, IDLE does not then spit out the next command prompt, nor
    does IDLE respond to a Ctrl-C.

    I have found that by turning on pyplot's 'interactive mode', the above
    problem does not occur:

    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    plt.ion()
    plt.plot([1,2,3]) # plot opens after this command is issued, and new
    command prompt appears
    plt.ylabel('some numbers') # if plot is not closed before issuing this
    command, then the open plot window is updated
    plt.close() # same effect as manually click-closing the plot window

    Donny, Oct 27, 2009

  3. Forrest Sheng Bao wrote:

    > I am having a weird problem on IDLE. After I plot something using show
    > () of matplotlib, the python shell prompt in IDLE just freezes that I
    > cannot enter anything and there is no new ">>>" prompt show up. I
    > tried ctrl - C and it didn't work. I have to restart IDLE to use it
    > again.
    >
    > My system is Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I used apt-get to install IDLE.

    I believe this is the intended behavior. Look in matplotlib
    documentation on the difference between interactive and non-interactive
    modes.

    --
    --OKB (not okblacke)
    Brendan Barnwell
    OKB (not okblacke), Oct 28, 2009
  4. This is a threading issue that is very common when using gui toolkits
    with the interactive interpreter.

    You're better off just using ipython, which already has builtin
    support for matplotlib when you start it via "ipython -pylab"

    Chris Colbert, Oct 28, 2009
  5. Forrest Sheng Bao

    Michael Guest

    On Oct 28, 11:09 pm, Chris Colbert <> wrote:
    > This is a threading issue that is very common when using gui toolkits
    > with the interactive interpreter.
    >
    > You're better off just using ipython, which already has builtin
    > support for matplotlib when you start it via "ipython -pylab"
    >
    > On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM, OKB (not okblacke)
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > > Forrest Sheng Bao wrote:

    > >> I am having a weird problem on IDLE. After I plot something using show
    > >> () of matplotlib, the python shell prompt in IDLE just freezes that I
    > >> cannot enter anything and there is no new ">>>" prompt show up. I
    > >> tried ctrl - C and it didn't work. I have to restart IDLE to use it
    > >> again.

    > >> My system is Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I used apt-get to install IDLE.

    > >        I believe this is the intended behavior.  Look in matplotlib
    > > documentation on the difference between interactive and non-interactive
    > > modes.

    > > --
    > > --OKB (not okblacke)
    > > Brendan Barnwell
    > > "Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is
    > > no path, and leave a trail."
    > >        --author unknown
    > > --

    Same problem for me using IDLE 1.2.4, python 2.5.4, and matplotlib
    0.99.1.1. Windows XP 32bit.

    Turning on interactive mode solved the problem with IDLE freezing,
    however the plot window still comes up empty and frozen.

    Using iPython now with no problems so far. Hopefully the problem with
    IDLE gets fixed.
    Michael, Nov 9, 2009