IE "clear" property auto-set?

Mazin07

I have a nav menu that's floated on the left side of my page, and the
content is on the right.
Everything works fine, but if I put a <div> in the content side, IE
forces it down below my nav menu. I even specified

div {
clear:none;
}

like so:

||----------------|
|| NAV MENU | CONTENT DIV THIS SIDE
|| | other content works fine
|| 1. nav | |
|| 2. nav | |
|| | |
|| float:left | |
|| | \-/
|-----------------| V

| |--------------------------|
| | IE Forces this div |
| | below the nav menu |
| |--------------------------|

How do I make it not do that?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mazin07 said:
I have a nav menu that's floated on the left side of my page, and the
content is on the right.
Everything works fine, but if I put a <div> in the content side, IE
forces it down below my nav menu. I even specified

div {
clear:none;
}

like so:

||----------------|
|| NAV MENU | CONTENT DIV THIS SIDE
|| | other content works fine
|| 1. nav | |
|| 2. nav | |
|| | |
|| float:left | |
|| | \-/
|-----------------| V

| |--------------------------|
| | IE Forces this div |
| | below the nav menu |
| |--------------------------|

How do I make it not do that?

Did you set the width?

Els

Mazin07 said:
I have a nav menu that's floated on the left side of my page, and the
content is on the right.
Everything works fine, but if I put a <div> in the content side, IE
forces it down below my nav menu. I even specified

div {
clear:none;
}

like so:

||----------------|
|| NAV MENU | CONTENT DIV THIS SIDE
|| | other content works fine
|| 1. nav | |
|| 2. nav | |
|| | |
|| float:left | |
|| | \-/
|-----------------| V

| |--------------------------|
| | IE Forces this div |
| | below the nav menu |
| |--------------------------|

How do I make it not do that?

Did you give the content div a margin:left equal to the width of the
navigation div?

Mazin07

Els said:
Mazin07 wrote:

Did you give the content div a margin:left equal to the width of the
navigation div?
Yep. It's just a regular div inside the content div, but the nav menu
forces it down.

Els

Mazin07 said:
Yep. It's just a regular div inside the content div, but the nav menu
forces it down.

Well, you must be doing something wrong, as that doesn't happen on my
pages. Most likely there is something inside the content div that's
too wide for whatever reason.

Got an online example to show it happening?