IE is frolocking with my #content

Marc

http://fuseyouthgroup.com

In IE the #content div takes the width of it's contents as opposed to
Mozilla and Opera, which, as desired, take the full width available. This
is obvious by switching between the home page and the about page. Mozilla
and Opera are fine - just IE being a pain as usual.

I have separate stylesheets for IE, Opera, and Mozilla, so I can easily make
CSS changes to have effect only when viewed in IE.

Has anyone got any ideas? They would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Marc

Steve Pugh

Marc said:
http://fuseyouthgroup.com

In IE the #content div takes the width of it's contents as opposed to
Mozilla and Opera, which, as desired, take the full width available. This
is obvious by switching between the home page and the about page. Mozilla
and Opera are fine - just IE being a pain as usual.

I have separate stylesheets for IE, Opera, and Mozilla, so I can easily make
CSS changes to have effect only when viewed in IE.

I can understand having a barebones stylesheet for NN4 and hiding
everything else. I can even understand having a separate stylesheet
for IE5 (or rather using a hack to hide some values from IE5). But
IE6, Mozilla and Opera should all be capable of using the same
stylesheet unless you're doing something very complex.
Has anyone got any ideas? They would be much appreciated.

Why are you using absolute positioning?

I'd float the various elements to get that layout.

But it looks like IE is ignoring the right: 200px; style. If you want
to stick with absolute positioning get rid of that and add something
like:
#content {width: 80%}
#nav {width: 15%}

Steve

Richard

I use IE 6 and saw no problems with it. The width of the broken red border
area changed in accordance with browser size. Not the content of the cell.

BTW, there is an ISP in cincinnati called "fuse.net" which is Cincinnati
Bell. You may want to add a note saying you are not connected with that
organization in any way.

I can understand having a barebones stylesheet for NN4 and hiding
everything else. I can even understand having a separate stylesheet
for IE5 (or rather using a hack to hide some values from IE5). But
IE6, Mozilla and Opera should all be capable of using the same
stylesheet unless you're doing something very complex.
Why are you using absolute positioning?

Because it allows the division to be placed anywhere regardless of float.
Float is fine when divisions are nested, and sometimes necessary.

I'd float the various elements to get that layout.
But it looks like IE is ignoring the right: 200px; style. If you want
to stick with absolute positioning get rid of that and add something
like:
#content {width: 80%}
#nav {width: 15%}

Which is fine if you intend only on having one divison and not nest any.

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
BTW, there is an ISP in cincinnati called "fuse.net" which is Cincinnati
Bell. You may want to add a note saying you are not connected with that
organization in any way.

Why? If you're going to do that, you might as well add that you're not
affiliated with:

- Fuse, the chocolate bar
- fuse, the short piece of wire
- fuse, the process of joining two atomic nuclei

Also, does this place in Cincinnati have a note saying they're not
connected with Marc's site in any way? Or with the chocolate bar? wire?
nuclear process?

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
I use IE 6 and saw no problems with it. The width of the broken red border
area changed in accordance with browser size. Not the content of the cell.

That would be because the stylesheet has been changed between the
original post and now. It looks like the author has adopted my
suggestion nof specifying a width.
Because it allows the division to be placed anywhere regardless of float.

But that's very rarely needed, and certainly isn't in this case.
Float is fine when divisions are nested, and sometimes necessary.

Float is simpler and more flexible than positioning.
Which is fine if you intend only on having one divison and not nest any.

Please explain that. The design had two columns of content, so
specifying percentage widths for those two columns is sensible. Adding
further blocks above and/or below those divs or nesting blocks within
them make makes no difference at all.

Steve

Marc

http://fuseyouthgroup.com
cell.

That would be because the stylesheet has been changed between the
original post and now. It looks like the author has adopted my
suggestion nof specifying a width.

Correct. I took on board your suggestion.
But that's very rarely needed, and certainly isn't in this case.

As it happens, it is - the stylesheet is to be used for other sites which
may be more complex, thus I prefered to use absolute positioning enabling me
to define everything more specifically. This is also why I have three
seperate stylesheets for each browser (IE, Mozilla, and Opera), for
compatibility with other sites which are more complex. This gives me a
total of 12 stylesheets, as there is also a default stylesheet incase the
browser cannot be identified.

Thus, I would prefer to use absolute positioning as opposed to the % method
you advised, although I have adopted this in the mean time, it is not ideal.

Other suggestions would be welcome, but thanks for yours in any event.
Float is simpler and more flexible than positioning.

Please explain that. The design had two columns of content, so
specifying percentage widths for those two columns is sensible. Adding
further blocks above and/or below those divs or nesting blocks within
them make makes no difference at all.

Richard is correct, this is not ideal, but if the only use were for this
site, it would not be a problem.

Marc

Marc

http://fuseyouthgroup.com
Why? If you're going to do that, you might as well add that you're not
affiliated with:

- Fuse, the chocolate bar
- fuse, the short piece of wire
- fuse, the process of joining two atomic nuclei

Also, does this place in Cincinnati have a note saying they're not
connected with Marc's site in any way? Or with the chocolate bar? wire?
nuclear process?

I don't think this is necessary as the main audience is young people
locally, and the site really will only be accessed by members and
prospective members. We did at one point, however, have the suggestion of
changing the logo to a chocolate bar, from one of the young people!

Marc