IE6 and content-type

Gregor Rot

Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
directly without asking anything.

This doesn't work:

then i send the data.

This results in: the browser asking to save or open the file, and it
works fine.

Now, according to documentation, if i remove the Content-disposition,
the browser should open it directly in the frame. Anyone been doing that
with success?

tnx,
Greg

Andreas Prilop

Gregor Rot said:
i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
directly without asking anything.

"I am sending virus.exe to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
directly without asking anything."

What _you_ want is just irrelevant. The reader has to decide what
should happen with PDF files and whether he should be asked every time.

DU

Gregor said:
Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
directly without asking anything.

This doesn't work:

then i send the data.

This results in: the browser asking to save or open the file, and it
works fine.

..pdf files are usually big files needing to load the acrobat reader into
the browser on top of that. All of this takes time, bandwidth, etc.. For
sure, the user should either allow this or disallow this to happen and
he should allow/disallow it willingly, wittingly with his explicit consent.

PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption (users testimonials)
"Users Hate PDF"
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

Now, according to documentation, if i remove the Content-disposition,
the browser should open it directly in the frame.

Where do you see that? Please paste an url so that we can all verify,
read that! If you're right, I'll be the first to file a bug on any
browser where this happens.
The closest I could find at adobe.com was
"Configuring the browser to open PDF files within the browser window"
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm

DU

Anyone been doing that

Gregor Rot

DU said:
.pdf files are usually big files needing to load the acrobat reader into
the browser on top of that. All of this takes time, bandwidth, etc.. For
sure, the user should either allow this or disallow this to happen and
he should allow/disallow it willingly, wittingly with his explicit consent.

PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption (users testimonials)
"Users Hate PDF"
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

Where do you see that? Please paste an url so that we can all verify,
read that! If you're right, I'll be the first to file a bug on any
browser where this happens.
The closest I could find at adobe.com was
"Configuring the browser to open PDF files within the browser window"
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm

DU

Anyone been doing that

Take it easy - i am correcting myself - without Disposition, the browser
should take the default action (either opening the pdf in a separate
Acrobat instance or loading the ActiveX console inside the browser.

With this code, i get a dialog from IE, "Save", "Open", by clicking Open
the PDF is opened in a new Acrobat instance, i want it to be opened in
the browser. How can i do that?

Gregor Rot

Gregor said:
Take it easy - i am correcting myself - without Disposition, the browser
should take the default action (either opening the pdf in a separate
Acrobat instance or loading the ActiveX console inside the browser.

With this code, i get a dialog from IE, "Save", "Open", by clicking Open
the PDF is opened in a new Acrobat instance, i want it to be opened in
the browser. How can i do that?

I have resolved the problem:

By changing the upper line to:

(ommiting the "attachment"), IE takes the default behaviour and opens
the PDF within the browser (loading the ActiveX of Acrobat).

Greg

brucie

in post: <
Gregor Rot said:
Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
directly without asking anything.

AR6 > file > preferences > internet > [x] display pdf in browser

other AR versions have the same option floating around somewhere in the
preferences menu.
visitors would have to be nuts accepting anything with the content
deposition header especially if they're stupid enough to use IE on the
internet.