IE6 and content-type

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gregor Rot, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Gregor Rot

    Gregor Rot Guest

    Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
    directly without asking anything.

    This doesn't work:

    then i send the data.

    This results in: the browser asking to save or open the file, and it
    works fine.

    Now, according to documentation, if i remove the Content-disposition,
    the browser should open it directly in the frame. Anyone been doing that
    with success?

    tnx,
    Greg
    Gregor Rot, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Gregor Rot <> wrote:

    > i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
    > directly without asking anything.

    "I am sending virus.exe to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
    directly without asking anything."

    What _you_ want is just irrelevant. The reader has to decide what
    should happen with PDF files and whether he should be asked every time.

    --
    Top-posting.
    What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?
    Andreas Prilop, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Gregor Rot

    DU Guest

    Gregor Rot wrote:

    > Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
    > directly without asking anything.
    >
    > This doesn't work:

    > then i send the data.
    >
    > This results in: the browser asking to save or open the file, and it
    > works fine.

    ..pdf files are usually big files needing to load the acrobat reader into
    the browser on top of that. All of this takes time, bandwidth, etc.. For
    sure, the user should either allow this or disallow this to happen and
    he should allow/disallow it willingly, wittingly with his explicit consent.

    PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption (users testimonials)
    "Users Hate PDF"
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

    > Now, according to documentation, if i remove the Content-disposition,
    > the browser should open it directly in the frame.

    Where do you see that? Please paste an url so that we can all verify,
    read that! If you're right, I'll be the first to file a bug on any
    browser where this happens.
    The closest I could find at adobe.com was
    "Configuring the browser to open PDF files within the browser window"
    http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm

    DU

    Anyone been doing that

    DU, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Gregor Rot

    Gregor Rot Guest

    DU wrote:

    > Gregor Rot wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open
    >> it directly without asking anything.
    >>
    >> This doesn't work:

    >> then i send the data.
    >>
    >> This results in: the browser asking to save or open the file, and it
    >> works fine.
    >>

    > .pdf files are usually big files needing to load the acrobat reader into
    > the browser on top of that. All of this takes time, bandwidth, etc.. For
    > sure, the user should either allow this or disallow this to happen and
    > he should allow/disallow it willingly, wittingly with his explicit consent.
    >
    > PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption (users testimonials)
    > "Users Hate PDF"
    > http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html
    >

    >> Now, according to documentation, if i remove the Content-disposition,
    >> the browser should open it directly in the frame.

    > Where do you see that? Please paste an url so that we can all verify,
    > read that! If you're right, I'll be the first to file a bug on any
    > browser where this happens.
    > The closest I could find at adobe.com was
    > "Configuring the browser to open PDF files within the browser window"
    > http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm
    >
    > DU
    >
    > Anyone been doing that
    >
    >> with success?
    >>
    >> tnx,
    >> Greg

    Take it easy - i am correcting myself - without Disposition, the browser
    should take the default action (either opening the pdf in a separate
    Acrobat instance or loading the ActiveX console inside the browser.

    With this code, i get a dialog from IE, "Save", "Open", by clicking Open
    the PDF is opened in a new Acrobat instance, i want it to be opened in
    the browser. How can i do that?
    Gregor Rot, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Gregor Rot

    Gregor Rot Guest

    Gregor Rot wrote:

    > DU wrote:
    >
    >> Gregor Rot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open
    >>> it directly without asking anything.
    >>>
    >>> This doesn't work:

    >>> then i send the data.
    >>>
    >>> This results in: the browser asking to save or open the file, and it
    >>> works fine.
    >>>

    >> .pdf files are usually big files needing to load the acrobat reader
    >> into the browser on top of that. All of this takes time, bandwidth,
    >> etc.. For sure, the user should either allow this or disallow this to
    >> happen and he should allow/disallow it willingly, wittingly with his
    >> explicit consent.
    >>
    >> PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption (users testimonials)
    >> "Users Hate PDF"
    >> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html
    >>

    >>> Now, according to documentation, if i remove the Content-disposition,
    >>> the browser should open it directly in the frame.

    >> Where do you see that? Please paste an url so that we can all verify,
    >> read that! If you're right, I'll be the first to file a bug on any
    >> browser where this happens.
    >> The closest I could find at adobe.com was
    >> "Configuring the browser to open PDF files within the browser window"
    >> http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm
    >>
    >> DU
    >>
    >> Anyone been doing that
    >>
    >>> with success?
    >>>
    >>> tnx,
    >>> Greg
    >>>

    > Take it easy - i am correcting myself - without Disposition, the browser
    > should take the default action (either opening the pdf in a separate
    > Acrobat instance or loading the ActiveX console inside the browser.

    > With this code, i get a dialog from IE, "Save", "Open", by clicking Open
    > the PDF is opened in a new Acrobat instance, i want it to be opened in
    > the browser. How can i do that?

    I have resolved the problem:

    By changing the upper line to:

    (ommiting the "attachment"), IE takes the default behaviour and opens
    the PDF within the browser (loading the ActiveX of Acrobat).

    Greg
    Gregor Rot, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Gregor Rot

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:ZlWNb.1619$%>
    Gregor Rot <> said:

    > Hi, i am sending a pdf file to IE6 and just want the browser to open it
    > directly without asking anything.

    AR6 > file > preferences > internet > [x] display pdf in browser

    other AR versions have the same option floating around somewhere in the
    preferences menu.

    visitors would have to be nuts accepting anything with the content
    deposition header especially if they're stupid enough to use IE on the
    internet.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 17, 2004