IE6 CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bill Musgrave, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. I have the following in a CSS, but it doesn't render as expected:

    a:visited:hover
    {
    color:yellow;
    }

    Also, I know the order can matter so I've pasted the CSS section below.

    If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Site users will have IE6, but
    with differing levels of SP and patches.

    Thanks
    Bill

    a:link
    {
    color: #0033cc;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    a:visited
    {
    color: #0033cc;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    a:visited:hover
    {
    color:yellow;
    }
    a:hover
    {
    color:gray;
    }
    a:active
    {
    color:red;
    }

    Bill Musgrave, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Bill Musgrave schrieb:
    > I have the following in a CSS, but it doesn't render as expected:

    true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:

    > a:visited:hover
    > {
    > color:yellow;
    > }

    is not valid. try:

    a:visited, a:hover
    {
    color:yellow;
    }

    and then the order of your rules is important:

    a:link { }
    a:visited { }
    a:hover { }
    a:active { }

    HTH

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Bill Musgrave

    Spartanicus Guest

    Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:

    >true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:
    >
    > > a:visited:hover
    > > {
    > > color:yellow;
    > > }

    >is not valid.

    Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Spartanicus schrieb:
    > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >

    >>true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:
    >>

    >>>a:visited:hover
    >>>{
    >>> color:yellow;
    >>>}

    >>is not valid.

    > Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

    true. I stand corrected... as usual :)

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 3, 2005
  5. But you still get points for trying to help! Thanks

    I was excited at the possibilites when I recently learned about this, now
    I'm disillusioned.

    Thanks again.

    Bill Musgrave, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Thanks, I knew this was too good to be true.

    Maybe Microsoft will come out with a version 7 (even though they said they
    wouldn't)...and it will be compliant...with CURRENT specs...

    <sigh> Back to the drawing board.

    Bill Musgrave, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Bill Musgrave schrieb:
    > But you still get points for trying to help! Thanks

    your welcome.. it's one of those momens when I realise how good NGs are:
    it made me read the specs again... and yes. It's actuallay allowed to
    combine pseudo-classes in CSS2.1 as long as they are not mutually exclusive.

    bernhard
    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Spartanicus wrote:
    > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >
    >>>a:visited:hover
    >>>{
    >>> color:yellow;
    >>>}

    >>is not valid.

    > Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

    It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Bill Musgrave

    Spartanicus Guest

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    >>>is not valid.

    >> Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

    >It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

    It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
    my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 4, 2005
  10. Bill Musgrave

    Phoenix Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:

    >>>Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

    >>It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

    > It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
    > my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

    How about getting up to speed, and download Firefox 1.0, which has a
    newer version of the Gecko engine? ;)

    Phoenix, Jan 4, 2005
  11. Bill Musgrave

    Spartanicus Guest

    Phoenix <> wrote:

    >> It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
    >> my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

    >How about getting up to speed, and download Firefox 1.0, which has a
    >newer version of the Gecko engine? ;)

    FF 0.9.2 also has a newer version of Gecko than Mozilla 1.5, and look
    what happened.

    There seems to be no interest in the Mozilla camp to fix CSS bugs and/or
    complete the support for CSS2, so I stopped submitting bugs and
    upgrading Mozilla after numerous pointless downloads.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 4, 2005