IE6 CSS

Bill Musgrave

I have the following in a CSS, but it doesn't render as expected:

a:visited:hover
{
color:yellow;
}

Also, I know the order can matter so I've pasted the CSS section below.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Site users will have IE6, but
with differing levels of SP and patches.

Thanks
Bill

a:link
{
color: #0033cc;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:visited
{
color: #0033cc;
font-weight: bold;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:visited:hover
{
color:yellow;
}
a:hover
{
color:gray;
}
a:active
{
color:red;

Bernhard Sturm

Bill said:
I have the following in a CSS, but it doesn't render as expected:

true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:
a:visited:hover
{
color:yellow;
}

is not valid. try:

a:visited, a:hover
{
color:yellow;
}

and then the order of your rules is important:

a:link { }
a:visited { }
a:hover { }
a:active { }

HTH

bernhard

Spartanicus

Bernhard Sturm said:
true... this will not render proberly. you have several errors in your css:

is not valid.

Except that it is, just not supported by IE and Mozilla.

Bill Musgrave

But you still get points for trying to help! Thanks

I was excited at the possibilites when I recently learned about this, now
I'm disillusioned.

Thanks again.

Bill Musgrave

Thanks, I knew this was too good to be true.

Maybe Microsoft will come out with a version 7 (even though they said they
wouldn't)...and it will be compliant...with CURRENT specs...

<sigh> Back to the drawing board.

Bernhard Sturm

Bill said:
But you still get points for trying to help! Thanks

your welcome.. it's one of those momens when I realise how good NGs are:
it made me read the specs again... and yes. It's actuallay allowed to
combine pseudo-classes in CSS2.1 as long as they are not mutually exclusive.

bernhard

Spartanicus

Leif K-Brooks said:
It seems to be supported by Mozilla.

It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

Phoenix

Spartanicus said:
It doesn't work in my copy of Mozilla FireFox 0.9.2, but it does work in
my copy of Mozilla 1.5.

How about getting up to speed, and download Firefox 1.0, which has a
newer version of the Gecko engine? ;)

Spartanicus

Phoenix said:
How about getting up to speed, and download Firefox 1.0, which has a
newer version of the Gecko engine? ;)

FF 0.9.2 also has a newer version of Gecko than Mozilla 1.5, and look
what happened.

There seems to be no interest in the Mozilla camp to fix CSS bugs and/or
complete the support for CSS2, so I stopped submitting bugs and
upgrading Mozilla after numerous pointless downloads.