IE6 ignoring "height" CSS attribute?

Oliver Wong

I've got a pair of images to give a rounded-edge look to some of my blocks
of texts. messageBarTop.gif is 723px wide by 9px tall, and
messageBarCenter.gif is 723px wide by 5 px tall. Here's the HTML code I'm
using:

<head>
..messageBarTop {
background: url(img/messageBarTop.gif) no-repeat;
width: 723px;
height: 9px;
margin: 0;
border: 0;
padding: 0;
float: top;
}
..messageBarCenter {
background: url(img/messageBarCenter.gif) top left repeat;
width: 713px;
padding: 0 5px 0 5px;
margin: 0;
}

</head>
later time.</div>

This seems to work fine in Firefox, but in IE6, there's a big white gap
between the .messageBarTop div and the .messageBarCenter div. If I set the
height of messageBarTop to 0px, Firefox correctly doesn't display the
messageBarTop.gif image at all, whereas IE displays it with the identical
big white gap, leading me to believe that IE6 is ignoring that my
specified height alltogether.

What can I do to get rid of the gap in IE6?

- Oliver

Jonathan N. Little

Oliver said:
.messageBarTop {
background: url(img/messageBarTop.gif) no-repeat;
width: 723px;
height: 9px;
margin: 0;
border: 0;
padding: 0;
float: top;

*top*?

float: left | right | none | inherit there is no top.

JD

Oliver said:
I've got a pair of images to give a rounded-edge look to some of my blocks
of texts. messageBarTop.gif is 723px wide by 9px tall, and
messageBarCenter.gif is 723px wide by 5 px tall. Here's the HTML code I'm
using:
<snip>

This seems to work fine in Firefox, but in IE6, there's a big white gap
between the .messageBarTop div and the .messageBarCenter div. If I set the
height of messageBarTop to 0px, Firefox correctly doesn't display the
messageBarTop.gif image at all, whereas IE displays it with the identical
big white gap, leading me to believe that IE6 is ignoring that my
specified height alltogether.

What can I do to get rid of the gap in IE6?

Without seeing your images, it's difficult to suggest a solution. Still,
you don't actually need the height property to get this to work.

Try:

<h2>header</h2>

and:

..box {
width: 300px;
background: url(bottom.gif) no-repeat left bottom;
}

..box h2 {
background: url(top.gif) no-repeat left top;
}

Then add padding to the nested elements as needed.

Oliver Wong

JD said:
Without seeing your images, it's difficult to suggest a solution. Still,
you don't actually need the height property to get this to work.

Try:

<h2>header</h2>

and:

.box {
width: 300px;
background: url(bottom.gif) no-repeat left bottom;
}

.box h2 {
background: url(top.gif) no-repeat left top;
}

Then add padding to the nested elements as needed.

Thanks, aligning the background to the bottom fixed it.

- Oliver