IE7 on XP vs IE7 on Vista

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Louella, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. Jeff Louella

    Jeff Louella Guest

    I am having an issue with IE7 and the Japanese font MS PGothic. On
    Windows XP, IE 7 displays the font about 2-3 pixels larger than any
    other browser on any OS. On Vista, IE7 displays the font about 1-2
    pixels smaller than every other browser. This is my first site i
    needed to translate into Japanese. I set the lang="ja", using UTF-8.
    The fonts show, IE7 just destroys them.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Jeff Louella
    Jeff Louella, Mar 1, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jeff Louella wrote:
    > I am having an issue with IE7 and the Japanese font MS PGothic. On
    > Windows XP, IE 7 displays the font about 2-3 pixels larger than any
    > other browser on any OS. On Vista, IE7 displays the font about 1-2
    > pixels smaller than every other browser.


    Font size varies depending on the user's settings, and your design
    should account for that. What you described is not a problem.
    Leif K-Brooks, Mar 1, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jeff Louella

    Jeff Louella Guest

    On Feb 28, 11:01 pm, Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:
    > Jeff Louella wrote:
    > > I am having an issue with IE7 and the Japanese font MS PGothic. On
    > > Windows XP, IE 7 displays the font about 2-3 pixels larger than any
    > > other browser on any OS. On Vista, IE7 displays the font about 1-2
    > > pixels smaller than every other browser.

    >
    > Font size varies depending on the user's settings, and your design
    > should account for that. What you described is not a problem.


    Well, I am not the designer of the site and on most of the site, it is
    not effecting the layout. But you are missing the point. I am doing
    the testing and I am the user right now. The same font at the same
    size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
    operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
    and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
    browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px. 8px Japanese
    fonts are almost illegible. That's not a problem for you, but it is
    for me, the designer and the customer that is paying well into the six
    figures for the site.

    The site is broken down into 2 languages. The English site is sweet.
    The fonts look great. It's the Japanese font MS PGothic that is giving
    me the headaches. Has anyone here ever worked on a Japanese site
    implementation?
    Jeff Louella, Mar 1, 2007
    #3
  4. Jeff Louella wrote:

    > Well, I am not the designer of the site and on most of the site, it is
    > not effecting the layout. But you are missing the point. I am doing
    > the testing and I am the user right now. The same font at the same
    > size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
    > operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
    > and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
    > browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px. 8px Japanese
    > fonts are almost illegible. That's not a problem for you, but it is
    > for me, the designer and the customer that is paying well into the six
    > figures for the site.


    The point is one should not specify any font-size in a website in pixels
    and therefore making it easy for the user to set his browser up to
    display fonts that are legible for him...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 1, 2007
    #4
  5. Jeff Louella wrote:
    > The same font at the same
    > size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
    > operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
    > and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
    > browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px.


    try to set your font-size in a relative unit such as 'em'. You should
    not expect pixel-accurate font-sizes as the clients UA does define the
    size of the fonts.

    cheers
    bernhard


    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 1, 2007
    #5
  6. Jeff Louella

    Jeff Louella Guest

    On Mar 1, 9:23 am, Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    > Jeff Louella wrote:
    > > The same font at the same
    > > size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
    > > operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
    > > and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
    > > browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px.

    >
    > try to set your font-size in a relative unit such as 'em'. You should
    > not expect pixel-accurate font-sizes as the clients UA does define the
    > size of the fonts.
    >
    > cheers
    > bernhard
    >
    > --www.daszeichen.ch
    > remove nixspam to reply


    I do set my font sizes using em's. I was using px as an example. My
    code is on point, it is the font. I am guessing no one here has worked
    with Japanese fonts before. The site works and looks great in IE6,
    FF2, FF1.5, Opera 8, Safari, NS7, NS8. It's not my code. It has
    something to do with IE7 and XP/Vista. Unless there is an issue since
    I didn't set my font sizes in px and IE7 is reading that differently
    in both OS's. I will keep everyone informed in what I discover.
    Jeff Louella, Mar 1, 2007
    #6
  7. Jeff Louella

    Jeff Louella Guest

    I found out the issue. Though the Japanese Language pack that MS
    offers on their website contained to proper fonts, there are settings
    in the Control Panel on the OS's that needed to be set to read MS
    PGothic. Once the settings were set, IE7 read everything properly. It
    is strange that no other browser had this issue.
    Jeff Louella, Mar 1, 2007
    #7
  8. Jeff Louella

    Mike Minor Guest

    Yet another problem with IE7 has been identified....Way to go Jeff...


    Mike


    "Jeff Louella" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I found out the issue. Though the Japanese Language pack that MS
    > offers on their website contained to proper fonts, there are settings
    > in the Control Panel on the OS's that needed to be set to read MS
    > PGothic. Once the settings were set, IE7 read everything properly. It
    > is strange that no other browser had this issue.
    >
    Mike Minor, Mar 1, 2007
    #8
  9. Jeff Louella wrote:
    > Once the settings were set, IE7 read everything properly. It
    > is strange that no other browser had this issue.
    >

    I really wonder how MS can affort this kind of business strategy. They
    are spending tons of money just to catch up with the rest of the
    browsers. And even then they don't get it right.


    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 1, 2007
    #9
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bernhard Sturm
    <> writing in news:es726p$fsr$:

    > Jeff Louella wrote:
    >> Once the settings were set, IE7 read everything properly. It
    >> is strange that no other browser had this issue.
    >>

    > I really wonder how MS can affort this kind of business strategy. They
    > are spending tons of money just to catch up with the rest of the
    > browsers. And even then they don't get it right.
    >
    >

    http://secunia.com/

    <quote>Secunia Research has discovered a vulnerability in Internet
    Explorer 7, which can be exploited by a malicious website to spoof the
    address bar.</quote>



    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 2, 2007
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. cwdjrxyz
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    941
    cwdjrxyz
    Sep 12, 2006
  2. Hansi
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    4,029
    Mickey Segal
    Feb 15, 2007
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    375
    Joe Kesselman
    Apr 17, 2007
  4. Ganesh

    IE7 + Vista - Window.Open issue

    Ganesh, Oct 3, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,947
    Scott M.
    Oct 3, 2007
  5. Michael
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    907
    Bjoern Schliessmann
    Nov 3, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page