IE7 on XP vs IE7 on Vista

Jeff Louella

I am having an issue with IE7 and the Japanese font MS PGothic. On
Windows XP, IE 7 displays the font about 2-3 pixels larger than any
other browser on any OS. On Vista, IE7 displays the font about 1-2
pixels smaller than every other browser. This is my first site i
needed to translate into Japanese. I set the lang="ja", using UTF-8.
The fonts show, IE7 just destroys them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff Louella

Leif K-Brooks

Jeff said:
I am having an issue with IE7 and the Japanese font MS PGothic. On
Windows XP, IE 7 displays the font about 2-3 pixels larger than any
other browser on any OS. On Vista, IE7 displays the font about 1-2
pixels smaller than every other browser.

Font size varies depending on the user's settings, and your design
should account for that. What you described is not a problem.

Jeff Louella

Font size varies depending on the user's settings, and your design
should account for that. What you described is not a problem.

Well, I am not the designer of the site and on most of the site, it is
not effecting the layout. But you are missing the point. I am doing
the testing and I am the user right now. The same font at the same
size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px. 8px Japanese
fonts are almost illegible. That's not a problem for you, but it is
for me, the designer and the customer that is paying well into the six
figures for the site.

The site is broken down into 2 languages. The English site is sweet.
The fonts look great. It's the Japanese font MS PGothic that is giving
me the headaches. Has anyone here ever worked on a Japanese site
implementation?

Jonathan N. Little

Jeff said:
Well, I am not the designer of the site and on most of the site, it is
not effecting the layout. But you are missing the point. I am doing
the testing and I am the user right now. The same font at the same
size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px. 8px Japanese
fonts are almost illegible. That's not a problem for you, but it is
for me, the designer and the customer that is paying well into the six
figures for the site.

The point is one should not specify any font-size in a website in pixels
and therefore making it easy for the user to set his browser up to
display fonts that are legible for him...

Bernhard Sturm

Jeff said:
The same font at the same
size is almost 5 pixels different in the same browser on 2 different
operating systems. A header that is at 16px, looks 14px in MS Vista
and 18px in XP. Normal body copy font's at 10px are readable on all
browser except vista because it makes the font look 8px.

try to set your font-size in a relative unit such as 'em'. You should
not expect pixel-accurate font-sizes as the clients UA does define the
size of the fonts.

cheers
bernhard

Jeff Louella

try to set your font-size in a relative unit such as 'em'. You should
not expect pixel-accurate font-sizes as the clients UA does define the
size of the fonts.

cheers
bernhard

--www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

I do set my font sizes using em's. I was using px as an example. My
code is on point, it is the font. I am guessing no one here has worked
with Japanese fonts before. The site works and looks great in IE6,
FF2, FF1.5, Opera 8, Safari, NS7, NS8. It's not my code. It has
something to do with IE7 and XP/Vista. Unless there is an issue since
I didn't set my font sizes in px and IE7 is reading that differently
in both OS's. I will keep everyone informed in what I discover.

Jeff Louella

I found out the issue. Though the Japanese Language pack that MS
offers on their website contained to proper fonts, there are settings
in the Control Panel on the OS's that needed to be set to read MS
PGothic. Once the settings were set, IE7 read everything properly. It
is strange that no other browser had this issue.

Bernhard Sturm

Jeff said:
Once the settings were set, IE7 read everything properly. It
is strange that no other browser had this issue.
I really wonder how MS can affort this kind of business strategy. They
are spending tons of money just to catch up with the rest of the
browsers. And even then they don't get it right.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bernhard Sturm
I really wonder how MS can affort this kind of business strategy. They
are spending tons of money just to catch up with the rest of the
browsers. And even then they don't get it right.
http://secunia.com/

<quote>Secunia Research has discovered a vulnerability in Internet
Explorer 7, which can be exploited by a malicious website to spoof the
address bar.</quote>