IE7 skulduggery?

BartlebyScrivener

Hello everyone:

I use Firefox, but perhaps unwisely accepted the XP update to IE7 when
it came in. When I check under folder options, my htm and html files
are still associated with FireFox.

However, now when I attempt to use my nice site launcher that I wrote
in Python (which has worked fine for months), I get this new error:

d:\python>l clp
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "d:\python\l.py", line 208, in ?
launch(obj)
File "d:\python\l.py", line 120, in launch
webbrowser.open(sites[obj][1])
File "C:\Python24\lib\webbrowser.py", line 43, in open
get().open(url, new, autoraise)
File "C:\Python24\lib\webbrowser.py", line 250, in open
os.startfile(url)
WindowsError: [Errno 1155] No application is associated with the
specified file for this operation:
'http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python'

On my other machines, which have not yet received the IE7 update, the
same script runs fine and launches the sites in FireFox.

Anybody else seeing something like this post IE7?

Also, suddenly links don't open inside Thunderbird, but they do inside
Outlook. How convenient. Upgrading to FireFox 2.0 didn't change
anything.

Live and learn.

rd

BartlebyScrivener

Found fix for this at Mozilla:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser

Apparently, even though it LOOKS and ACTS like Firefox is still your
default browser after an IE7 upgrade, it's not.

To fix, you must run:

firefox.exe -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

Which also fixes the webbrowser. py problem.

At least so far.

rd

Alistair King

BartlebyScrivener said:
Found fix for this at Mozilla:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser

Apparently, even though it LOOKS and ACTS like Firefox is still your
default browser after an IE7 upgrade, it's not.

To fix, you must run:

firefox.exe -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

Which also fixes the webbrowser. py problem.

At least so far.

rd
yes, annoying

i know that this may not be related to python but occasionally when im
using firefox under windows and /i think/ when i open IE7, firefox hangs
and wont reopen until i restart. Is this likely to be anything related
to IE7?

--
Dr. Alistair King
Research Chemist,