IIS having problems creating temp directories

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Colin Mackay, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Colin Mackay

    Colin Mackay Guest

    Hello,

    We are having problems delploying an ASP.NET application onto a server (that
    is also a domain controller - I don't know if that has anything to do with
    it).

    The error message is as seen below. We have tried ensuring that everything
    has the correct permissions but it still seems to have problems. If you have
    any ideas, or have had this problem before and know how to solve it, please
    let me know.

    Many thanks,
    Colin.

    Server Error in '/' Application.
    ----

    Access to the path "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\root\2135a508\8d69a834" is denied.

    Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
    "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\2135a508\8d69a834" is denied.

    granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
    ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
    Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
    impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
    impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
    IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

    To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
    choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
    appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
    boxes for the desired access.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
    "C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\2135a508\8d69a834" is denied.]
    System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
    System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path)
    +632
    System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path) +195
    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.DoFirstTimeInit(HttpContext
    context) +85

    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.EnsureFirstTimeInit(HttpContex
    t context) +97

    System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.GetPreservedAssemblyEntry(Http
    Context context, String virtualPath, Boolean fApplicationFile) +29
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemFromPreservedCompilation()
    +91
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean
    fCreateIfNotFound) +148
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemWithNewConfigPath() +125
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() +88
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +120
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +36
    System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
    System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String url, String path) +44
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +699

    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep
    ..Execute() +95
    completedSynchronously) +173

    ----
    Version:1.1.4322.573

    Colin Mackay, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Colin Mackay

    Colin Mackay Guest

    Re: [answer] IIS having problems creating temp directories

    Hello,

    I have the answer:

    The reason is that .NET 1.0 and 1.1 are installed on the machine. And it was
    the 1.0 version of the ASP.NET worker process that was running, while
    everything else to do with the application was 1.1

    To fix the problem type the something similar to the following at the
    command prompt:
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    Which will install the proper version of the ASP.NET Worker Process.

    Regards,
    Colin.

    "Colin Mackay" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String
    > virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +36
    > System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String
    > virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
    > System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String
    > requestType, String url, String path) +44
    > System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    > requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)

    +699

    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep
    > .Execute() +95
    > System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&
    > completedSynchronously) +173

    > ----
    > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573;

    ASP.NET

    Colin Mackay, Aug 11, 2003