IIS losing connection to Oracle

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by pleake@image-access.com, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Following is a logon.asp script. This script works when
    IIS is reset each day. The epapi object is a vendor api
    program I do not have the code for! The logon process
    involves three servers: the IIS server, a Novell Server
    with executable programs on it including the API program,
    and an Oracle server. The logon sequence is to use the
    IIS anonymous user account to access the Novell Server
    which in turn instructs the API programs as to the Oracle
    instance to use. The Oracle tables contain user names,
    applications, etc. The Novell Server only contains the
    executable programs.

    Each night both the Novell server and the Oracle server
    are taken off-line and backed up.

    Whereas I can login during the day, when the next day
    arrives I fail the login and get messages similar
    to "Can't connect to Oracle".

    Is there a way to have IIS reestablish the connections it
    is losing over night?

    -------------part of ASP script ---------------------

    <%@ Language=VBScript %>
    <!--#include file="lib/redirect.asp"-->
    <%

    nResult = epapi.Logon(Request.Form("cUsername"),
    Request.Form("cPassword"))

    if nResult > 0 then
    Session.Contents("loggedin") = true
    Session.Contents("username") = Request.Form("cUsername")
    HTTPRedirect("getapp.asp")
    else
    Select Case nResult
    Case -1
    strError = "Invalid username or password"
    Case -2
    strError = "Missing license for Internet
    Retrieval Module"
    Case -3
    strError = "User limit exceeded"
    Case Else
    strError = "Unknown error (" & CStr(nResult)
    & ")"
    End Select
    %>

    Paul

    , Dec 19, 2003

  2. Turkbear Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:59:45 -0800, "" <> wrote:

    >Following is a logon.asp script. This script works when
    >IIS is reset each day. The epapi object is a vendor api
    >program I do not have the code for! The logon process
    >involves three servers: the IIS server, a Novell Server
    >with executable programs on it including the API program,
    >and an Oracle server. The logon sequence is to use the
    >IIS anonymous user account to access the Novell Server
    >which in turn instructs the API programs as to the Oracle
    >instance to use. The Oracle tables contain user names,
    >applications, etc. The Novell Server only contains the
    >executable programs.
    >
    >Each night both the Novell server and the Oracle server
    >are taken off-line and backed up.
    >
    >Whereas I can login during the day, when the next day
    >arrives I fail the login and get messages similar
    >to "Can't connect to Oracle".
    >
    >Is there a way to have IIS reestablish the connections it
    >is losing over night?
    >
    >-------------part of ASP script ---------------------
    >
    ><%@ Language=VBScript %>
    ><!--#include file="lib/redirect.asp"-->
    ><%
    >
    >nResult = epapi.Logon(Request.Form("cUsername"),
    >Request.Form("cPassword"))
    >
    >if nResult > 0 then
    > Session.Contents("loggedin") = true
    > Session.Contents("username") = Request.Form("cUsername")
    > HTTPRedirect("getapp.asp")
    >else
    > Select Case nResult
    > Case -1
    > strError = "Invalid username or password"
    > Case -2
    > strError = "Missing license for Internet
    >Retrieval Module"
    > Case -3
    > strError = "User limit exceeded"
    > Case Else
    > strError = "Unknown error (" & CStr(nResult)
    >& ")"
    > End Select
    > %>

    >Paul

    The code is insufficient to identify the Oracle part of the problem..What exact error do you get ( 'similar to' is not
    precise enough) - provide both text and number if possible.

    It appears that when Oracle is shutdown for backup ( which is not necessary, it can be backed up while running) - it
    causes the IIS connection to fail ( for good reason) and apparently is not allowing IIS to reconnect when its logon
    script is run each day..Does it run before Oracle has fully restarted? - Is the Connection tested first ?

    Turkbear, Dec 19, 2003