IIS Setup Guru Wannabe Question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mythran, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    Just a question that I keep forgetting to ask "off-topic" to others in the same
    field of work or hobby...

    Yes, I know this isn't a group specific question, but would like to know how
    y'all setup yer IIS applications, whether it be a .Net Web Application, or an
    older ASP X.X application.

    Under IIS, you can add sites (if you have the right Server installed) as well as
    add applications under each web site. Multiple web sites with multiple web
    applications under each site. First off, here is what I have:

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server (2 machines, Production and Development).
    IIS with all the neat little patches required to keep it healthy.... (microsoft
    patches)
    1 Web Site

    Now, under the web site, we create a new application for each Intranet
    application that we are developing or have developed. Is this how it *should* be
    done? Or should it be that each Intranet application we create should have it's
    own Web Site? I can see how that can become really expensive for all the
    licensing on a per website basis but would like to know how it *should* be done
    rather than how we have it working.

    That's all :)

    Thanks,
    Mythran
    Mythran, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Mythran

    name Guest

    Garbage.

    Get a life.

    name, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Mythran

    Bob Guest

    I only use a new website when I need to assign a different domain name as
    this requires a unique IP address (unless host headers are used). It is also
    good for load balancing if you have multiple network interfaces, or you want
    to provide a web site to one network and not another... also, it means your
    logfiles are as little easier to go through.

    IIS applications are used to seperate the processes and memory space of each
    logical section of your overall web system... so if the code in 1 IIS app
    has problems it theoretically wont disrupt any of the others... also, the
    state data held by the ASP Application object is available only to the IIS
    application that hosts it.

    What I do is break a web system (say, ecommerce) down into separate logical
    entities and then create an IIS application for each. In the case of an
    intranet you could have a online procurement application, an HR application,
    and say an online helpdesk application. Each functions as a seperate unit
    and so should be in it's own application, therefore receiving it's own
    memory space and able to run it's own processes and threads. These will be
    protected from the other applications so if one goes down the rest keep
    going. That's the theory anyway... lots of other things can go wrong that
    cause the lot to die but thats another story...

    You could extend this concept to the website level and have a website for
    each division of the company, each containing applications relating to that
    division...

    One thing I don't recommend you do is use the default web site... a lot of
    IIS vulnerabilities rely on the default site being left insecure.

    Not sure about your licensing comment... are licenses required for IIS?

    This didn't really answer the question but it might highlight some of the
    reasons you could go either way...

    Cheers

    Bob, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Mythran

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:22:15 -0800, "Mythran" <>
    wrote:

    >Just a question that I keep forgetting to ask "off-topic" to others in the same
    >field of work or hobby...

    Might not be off topic if you ask in the IIS groups. It's quite far
    off topic in a VBScript group.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Nov 7, 2003