Im a newb so please help!

Karla Chubb

Okay so i just got a book call 'Learn to Program' by Chris Pine.
He suggests using Ruby Interpreter to run any programs i make.
So the first program he explains to make is a number one.
I use SciTE text editor and i wrote puts 1+2 and saved it as calc.rb
just as he said. So he tells me to run it so i go to run and type in
ruby calc.rb just like he says and something is supposed to come up and
say 3 but all my pc does is quickly flash my command prompt and then
nothing happens! How can i fix this? What am i doing wrong?

Erik Veenstra

So he tells me to run it so i go to run and type in ruby
calc.rb just like he says and something is supposed to come
up and say 3 but all my pc does is quickly flash my command
prompt and then nothing happens! How can i fix this? What am
i doing wrong?

Where dit you enter "ruby calc.rb"? In "Start/Run Command"?
Well, it did exactly what you said. It runs the command.
Nothing wrong with that.

But if Windows is faster than your eyes (it's hard to imagine,
but keep trying...), you should open a DOS-box in which you
enter the same command. This DOS-box stays alive untill you
close it by hand (or untill Windows thinks it knows better...).

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

brabuhr

Okay so i just got a book call 'Learn to Program' by Chris Pine.
He suggests using Ruby Interpreter to run any programs i make.
So the first program he explains to make is a number one.
I use SciTE text editor and i wrote puts 1+2 and saved it as calc.rb
just as he said. So he tells me to run it so i go to run and type in
ruby calc.rb just like he says and something is supposed to come up and
say 3 but all my pc does is quickly flash my command prompt and then
nothing happens! How can i fix this? What am i doing wrong?

"go to run and type in", so you're on some version of Windows? Then,
go to run and type either 'command' or 'cmd' to open your command
shell first. Then in the prompt, type 'ruby calc.rb' (depending on where
your file is saved you will need to change to the correct directory first,
e.g. 'cd Desktop' then 'ruby calc.rb').

Karla Chubb

unknown said:
"go to run and type in", so you're on some version of Windows? Then,
go to run and type either 'command' or 'cmd' to open your command
shell first. Then in the prompt, type 'ruby calc.rb' (depending on
where
your file is saved you will need to change to the correct directory
first,
e.g. 'cd Desktop' then 'ruby calc.rb').

ok thanks it worked!

Simon Harrison

another thing you can do is type:

gets

at the end of the program. this will enable you to double click the file
as you are used to

example:

puts 'hello world'
gets

save as hello.rb and window will stay open till you press a key