    unless there is one that is also a good reference.

    Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?

    Please provide feedback. Thanks.
    Raque, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Raque

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    Raque wrote:
    > Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
    > ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
    > about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
    > etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.
    >
    > I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
    > unless there is one that is also a good reference.
    >
    > Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?
    >
    > Please provide feedback. Thanks.

    _The_C++_Programming_Language_

    The Josuttis book on the standard library is a good reference, too. If
    you're looking for an STL intro, try this:

    http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~musser/stl-book/cover.jpg
    Jeff Schwab, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Raque

    Mark Bruno Guest

    The ONLY book you need is Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language. However, if you need a reference on the standard libraries as well, Josuttis's The C++ Standard Library is an excellent choice. Since you said you needed mostly syntax though, I'd definitely recommend the Stroustrup. Get the special edition, it's really nice. Hard cover...double book marks...2 extra appendices...good stuff.
    Mark Bruno, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Raque

    John Carson Guest

    "Mark Bruno" <> wrote in message
    > The ONLY book you need is Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming
    > Language.

    I regularly refer to Stroustrup's text. It has the information that I am
    after more often than not, but there are still lots of occasions when I have
    to look elsewhere. C++ is too complex for any single textbook to have all of
    the answers. Such a book would be too long to be acceptable to publishers.

    Stanley Lippman and Josee Lajoie's C++ Primer is another good book (it is
    more advanced than the name suggests). No doubt others can supply further
    suggestions. I would say you should have at least 4 (and preferably 10)
    reference books.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Raque

    Derek Baker Guest

    "Mark Bruno" <> wrote in message
    >The ONLY book you need is Bjarne Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language.

    However, if you >need a reference on the standard libraries as well,
    Josuttis's The C++ Standard Library is an excellent >choice. Since you said
    you needed mostly syntax though, I'd definitely recommend the Stroustrup.
    >Get the special edition, it's really nice. Hard cover...double book

    marks...2 extra appendices...good >stuff.

    Have both of those, and would also recommend them.

    Look here for lots of reviews:

    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

    --
    Derek
    Derek Baker, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Hi,

    By the process of certain things happening, Raque managed to say...

    > I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
    > unless there is one that is also a good reference.

    The C++ Standard Library - Josuttis
    The C++ Programming Language - Stroustrup
    C++ Templates - Josuttis
    Effective STL - Meyers

    These should provide what you need (and I would say, be on everyone's book
    shelf)

    TTFN

    Paul

    --
    One OS to fool them all
    One browser to find them
    Paul F. Johnson, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Raque

    Andy Guest

    Raque <s> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
    > ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
    > about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
    > etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.
    >
    > I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
    > unless there is one that is also a good reference.
    >
    > Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?
    >
    > Please provide feedback. Thanks.

    1) Thinking in C++ (Bruce Eckel) is a good book to work your way
    through the intricacies of the language.
    2) The C++ Programming Language (Stroustrup) is of course the bible
    that you got to have.
    3) Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
    4) More Effective C++ - Scott Meyers
    Andy, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Raque

    Dave O'Hearn Guest

    Raque <s> wrote:
    > Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++ a year
    > ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to. Particularly
    > about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using classes, C++ functions,
    > etc. Basically, a good overall C++ language reference.
    >
    > I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction book,
    > unless there is one that is also a good reference.
    >
    > Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference books?

    The only pure C++ reference I know is the O'Reilly C++ "Nutshell"
    book. It is impossible to read just for the heck of it; you flip it
    open to the part you want, and it tries to give you the answer quickly
    so you can put the book down. There are tons of other C++ books that
    you could use as a reference, but they are not really references; they
    attempt to teach the language in some way or another.

    --
    Dave O'Hearn
    Dave O'Hearn, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Raque

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "Dave O'Hearn" <> wrote in message news:...

    > The only pure C++ reference I know is the O'Reilly C++ "Nutshell"
    > book. It is impossible to read just for the heck of it; you flip it
    > open to the part you want, and it tries to give you the answer quickly
    > so you can put the book down.

    Agreed. While some of it is a bit awkward in some places, it does attempt
    to be a sane explanation of the language. I should make the disclosure that
    O'Reilly paid me to review that book (primarily to check conformance with
    the standard) so I have confidence that it's fairly accurate.
    Ron Natalie, Dec 21, 2003
  10. Raque

    zealott Guest

    For quick answers I suggest "Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes." It is very
    small, but gets straight to the point and it covers pretty much everything
    C++ can do by itself. It won't cost you a whole lot either.
    --zealott

    zealott, Dec 25, 2003
  11. Raque

    Chris Newton Guest

    zealott wrote...
    > For quick answers I suggest "Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes." It is very
    > small, but gets straight to the point and it covers pretty much everything
    > C++ can do by itself. It won't cost you a whole lot either.

    Unfortunately, it also seems to have a few problems:

    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/t/t001917.htm

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Newton, Dec 29, 2003
  12. Raque

    Bob Jacobs Guest

    "Chris Newton" <> wrote in message
    > zealott wrote...
    > > For quick answers I suggest "Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes." It is
    > > very small, but gets straight to the point and it covers pretty much
    > > everything C++ can do by itself. It won't cost you a whole lot either.

    > Unfortunately, it also seems to have a few problems:
    >
    > http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/t/t001917.htm

    May or may not make a difference, but the above review is dated 1999. The
    2nd edition of the book dates from 2002.
    Bob Jacobs, Dec 29, 2003
  13. Raque

    Gerd Orfey Guest

    >Raque <s> wrote in message
    > Hello. I'm looking for a good C++ reference book. I learned C++
    > a year ago. It is very broad and I need something to refer to.
    > Particularly about syntax (using -> versus ".", etc.), using
    > classes, C++ functions, etc. Basically, a good overall C++
    > language reference.
    >
    > I need a reference book. Not a "begin from scratch" instruction
    > book, unless there is one that is also a good reference.
    >
    > Also, does anyone know of any good standard library reference
    > books?
    >
    > Please provide feedback. Thanks.

    Maybe "C++ in a Nutshell" from Ray Lischner (O'Reilly, 2003) is what you
    are looking for.

    Peace

    Gerd
    Gerd Orfey, Dec 29, 2003