Image align absmiddle problem with Firefox

Ubi

I have an alignment problem with Firefox (on IE 7 it works fine).

In the menu:
http://www.cinemaitaliano.info/index_new.php

I would like to middle align the purple vertical bar (which is an image)
with the menu text items, but in Firefox the bar aligns to the top and not
to the middle, although align="absmiddle" is set.

Daniele

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ubi said:
I have an alignment problem with Firefox (on IE 7 it works fine).

Once again, IE does not follow standards.

The page is broken and falls apart in IE6. Screenshot:
http://k75s.home.att.net/show/cinemaitaliano.jpg
I would like to middle align the purple vertical bar (which is an image)
with the menu text items, but in Firefox the bar aligns to the top and not
to the middle, although align="absmiddle" is set.

According to this:
<http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t156512--css-replacing-ltimg-alignquotabsmiddlequotgt.html>

"absmiddle is not a permitetd value of align in any standard version of
HTML. The permitted values are top, middle, bottom, left and right."

You might also consider correcting the errors on the page:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.cinemaitaliano.info/index_new.php>
"Failed validation, 454 Errors"

And check into the 99 Warnings in your CSS:
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...=http://www.cinemaitaliano.info/index_new.php>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ubi said:
Thanks a lot Beauregard!
However I changed the align="absmiddle" to
style="vertical-align:middle" and on Firefox nothing still changes

I don't see your 'middle' problem in Firefox.
http://k75s.home.att.net/show/cinemaitaliano-firefox.jpg

But notice how the horizontal menu doesn't fit in my browser window (at
around 900 px). Now, press Control-Plus a time or two. The whole thing
falls apart.
I didn't realize that!

Do you know a way I could test it on IE6?

Perhaps fixing some of those 454 errors on the page would help. That is
way too many errors to make stabs at guesses for why one browser "works"
and another one doesn't.
Does an IE6 emulator exist?

There are ways to install various IE versions on the same computer, but
since I don't use it, I never bothered. Google for it.

Got any other computers with maybe Windows 2000?

Ubi

I don't see your 'middle' problem in Firefox.

If you look closer, you'll see that the bars are nearer to the bottom than
the top, being aligned to the top of the text (which is correctly aligned in
the middle). On IE 7, this doesn't happen.
However, if I can't find a solution, I'll just shorten the bars, making them
the height of the text. Not a very neat and tidy solution, but on Monday
this version of the website needs to go online.

But notice how the horizontal menu doesn't fit in my browser window (at
around 900 px). Now, press Control-Plus a time or two. The whole thing
falls apart.

Yes, you are right. At the moment, there is a unique background image on the
html table applied to the header. If I have time, I'll slice the images and
I'll apply them to the single rows.

Perhaps fixing some of those 454 errors on the page would help. That is
way too many errors to make stabs at guesses for why one browser "works"
and another one doesn't.

I corrected already half of them.
However most of them are alt parameters missing in the image tags and not
html-escaped characters (e.g. = or &) in the URLs.
Got any other computers with maybe Windows 2000?

No prob, I found a computer where IE6 is installed.

Thanks

Daniele

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ubi said:
If you look closer, you'll see that the bars are nearer to the bottom
than the top, being aligned to the top of the text (which is
correctly aligned in the middle). On IE 7, this doesn't happen.

Pixel-precision across browsers is an impossibility. Pixel-precision
among multiple users of the *same* browser is nearly the same.
However, if I can't find a solution, I'll just shorten the bars,
making them the height of the text. Not a very neat and tidy
solution, but on Monday this version of the website needs to go
online.

Ooh, Monday? I'd recommend you look into some other things as well.
Your chosen font and size, for example:

font: 8pt/12pt verdana;

I don't have Verdana, so I see a substituted font at flyspeck size.

http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

And points (pt) are for printing, not screen.

Good luck.

Ubi

If you look closer, you'll see that the bars are nearer to the bottom
Pixel-precision across browsers is an impossibility. Pixel-precision
among multiple users of the *same* browser is nearly the same.

Actually it was the other way round. The bars are correctly middle
positioned. The text not. So, the vertical-align:middle applied on the
images seems to work!

Ooh, Monday? I'd recommend you look into some other things as well.
Your chosen font and size, for example:

font: 8pt/12pt verdana;

I don't have Verdana, so I see a substituted font at flyspeck size.

http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

I read the article. But I still prefer Verdana as a font. It's very good for
long text.

And points (pt) are for printing, not screen.

I was wondering what pt was for!
I didn't know it was for printing.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Daniele

Jonathan N. Little

Ubi said:
Thanks a lot Beauregard!
However I changed the align="absmiddle" to style="vertical-align:middle"
and on Firefox nothing still changes

I didn't realize that!

Do you know a way I could test it on IE6?
Does an IE6 emulator exist?

No need, just install standalone multiple versions. I have 4-6 (Using
Win2K so 7 is not available) Look here for resource and info on how:

http://browsers.evolt.org/
evolt.org - Browser Archive

John Hosking

Ubi wrote:
[Ubi also trimmed the attributions again. I wish Ubi would stop that.]
I read the article. But I still prefer Verdana as a font. It's very good for
long text.

Not if he doesn't have it. If he (or somebody else) doesn't have Verdana
on his machine, declaring it on your page is useless. Worse than
useless, because Verdana is so different width-wise from other fonts,
and you don't know what he has anyway, so he sees little microscopic
specs that he can't read, because you sized the text for the Verdana on
your machine, and went smaller.

I think if you read the article and still think Verdana is "very good,"
you didn't understand what you read. Maybe you should also (re-)read the
article http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html to which
Beauregard links.

Good luck with that deadline... :-O

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ubi wrote:
[Beauregard wrote:]
I read the article. But I still prefer Verdana as a font. It's very good for
long text.

Let me add to what John said. Verdana is a w-i-i-d-e font. It is
typically found on most Windows PCs (but not all). It is not found on
Macintosh computers nor Linux PCs. I'm using Ubuntu with no Verdana, and
since you didn't even specify a fall-back generic family, my browser
picked a serif font. An 8pt serif font really is unreadable.

font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-family: Georgia, Times, "Times New Roman", serif;

Trebuchet MS is a good-looking normal sized sans-serif font for Windows,
with fall-back to Helvetica, then Arial, then generic sans-serif.

Of course, none of them work at 8pt. Not even Verdana.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Let me add to what John said. Verdana is a w-i-i-d-e font. It is
typically found on most Windows PCs (but not all). It is not found on
Macintosh computers nor Linux PCs.

There are not many Macs that do not have Verdana. How they
acquired it is another matter...

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
There are not many Macs that do not have Verdana. How they
acquired it is another matter...

What? There's a stolen font ring? Arrest those bastahds!