    I have to load an alternative series of images of smaller dimensions? I hope
    I am making sense! Thanks for your help!

    -Charles

    Charles Shahar, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Charles Shahar

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Charles Shahar
    <> said:

    > Hi Everyone:

    G'day.

    > I will have
    > thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
    > image (1500x1500).

    In the same window, of course? :)

    > I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
    > image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
    > to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image.

    It's a browser "feature". Personally I hate it, but that's my
    preference.

    > How can I get
    > this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
    > want they can click to see a larger version?

    You can't. It's a setting in their browser.

    > Does this involve html code?

    No.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Charles Shahar

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:55:05 -0500, Charles Shahar wrote:

    > Please excuse my lack of sophistication in the following description: I am
    > creating a web page and I need some help regarding images. I will have
    > thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
    > image (1500x1500). I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
    > image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
    > to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image. How can I get
    > this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
    > want they can click to see a larger version? Does this involve html code? Do
    > I have to load an alternative series of images of smaller dimensions? I hope
    > I am making sense! Thanks for your help!

    What you are describing is a "feature" of Internet Explorer. It is
    controlled by the user's settings ("Enable Automatic Image Resizing" in
    the Multimedia section). I personally have turned it off. There is
    nothing I know of that you as a web developer can do to change the
    behaviour for your visitors.

    --
    Greg Schmidt
    Trawna Publications http://www.trawna.com/

    Greg Schmidt, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Charles Shahar

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Greg Schmidt
    <> said:

    > There is
    > nothing I know of that you as a web developer can do to change the
    > behaviour for your visitors.

    There is a meta tag that will disable it if it is enabled. I don't know
    of any way to do the opposite.

    Mark Parnell, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Charles Shahar

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Charles Shahar
    > <> said:
    >

    >>Hi Everyone:

    > G'day.
    >

    >>I will have
    >>thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
    >>image (1500x1500).

    > In the same window, of course? :)
    >

    >>I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
    >>image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
    >>to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image.

    > It's a browser "feature". Personally I hate it, but that's my
    > preference.
    >

    >>How can I get
    >>this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
    >>want they can click to see a larger version?

    > You can't. It's a setting in their browser.

    You can prevent it from happening at all though... just add this in the
    head:

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > There is a meta tag that will disable it if it is enabled. I don't know
    > of any way to do the opposite.

    No there isn't. The behaviour only occurs when an image is viewed directly.
    Thus there is no HTML document, thus there can be no <meta> tag.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 1, 2004
  7. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > You can prevent it from happening at all though... just add this in the
    > head:

    That asks Internet Explorer not to display a toolbar of useful icons when
    the user hovers over a largish image in an HTML document. This doesn't have
    anything to do with the original question.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 1, 2004
  8. Charles Shahar

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, David Dorward
    <> said:

    > No there isn't. The behaviour only occurs when an image is viewed directly.
    > Thus there is no HTML document, thus there can be no <meta> tag.

    Right you are. Never used it myself, so got confused.

    Mark Parnell, Dec 1, 2004