Image condensing on webpages

Charles Shahar

Hi Everyone:

Please excuse my lack of sophistication in the following description: I am
creating a web page and I need some help regarding images. I will have
thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
image (1500x1500). I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image. How can I get
this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
want they can click to see a larger version? Does this involve html code? Do
I have to load an alternative series of images of smaller dimensions? I hope
I am making sense! Thanks for your help!

-Charles

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Charles Shahar
Hi Everyone:
G'day.

I will have
thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
image (1500x1500).

In the same window, of course? :)
I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image.

It's a browser "feature". Personally I hate it, but that's my
preference.
How can I get
this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
want they can click to see a larger version?

You can't. It's a setting in their browser.
Does this involve html code?

No.

Greg Schmidt

Please excuse my lack of sophistication in the following description: I am
creating a web page and I need some help regarding images. I will have
thumbnails. When a person clicks on them, they will link to an enlarged
image (1500x1500). I notice that when this happens on most web sites, the
image loads, and then compresses. In order to see the large version you have
to click on an icon on the lower right corner of the image. How can I get
this icon thing so that the person will see a smaller version, and if they
want they can click to see a larger version? Does this involve html code? Do
I have to load an alternative series of images of smaller dimensions? I hope
I am making sense! Thanks for your help!

What you are describing is a "feature" of Internet Explorer. It is
controlled by the user's settings ("Enable Automatic Image Resizing" in
the Multimedia section). I personally have turned it off. There is
nothing I know of that you as a web developer can do to change the
behaviour for your visitors.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Greg Schmidt
There is
nothing I know of that you as a web developer can do to change the
behaviour for your visitors.

There is a meta tag that will disable it if it is enabled. I don't know
of any way to do the opposite.

SpaceGirl

Mark said:
Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, Charles Shahar

In the same window, of course? :)

It's a browser "feature". Personally I hate it, but that's my
preference.

You can't. It's a setting in their browser.

You can prevent it from happening at all though... just add this in the
head:

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

David Dorward

Mark said:
There is a meta tag that will disable it if it is enabled. I don't know
of any way to do the opposite.

No there isn't. The behaviour only occurs when an image is viewed directly.
Thus there is no HTML document, thus there can be no <meta> tag.

David Dorward

SpaceGirl said:
You can prevent it from happening at all though... just add this in the
head:

That asks Internet Explorer not to display a toolbar of useful icons when
the user hovers over a largish image in an HTML document. This doesn't have
anything to do with the original question.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html,alt.html.critique, David Dorward
No there isn't. The behaviour only occurs when an image is viewed directly.
Thus there is no HTML document, thus there can be no <meta> tag.

Right you are. Never used it myself, so got confused.