Image hell(p)

Steve Peterson

Hi

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get this done, with
little to no success so I thought I would turn to the .Net community for
some help.

I have an .NET app in which the user can upload an image file. What I need
to do is take the image and save it in a scale it to a preset size (for
example an image origanally 640X480 to 320X240 or 50% of original size).
Doing the math to get the correct new width & height is no problem. The
problem is saving the image in .jpg format and KEEPING the image quality as
best as possible.

At first I tried using the "GetThumbnailImage" method, but quickly realized
that won't work for a couple of reasons: image quality & possible imbedded
thumbnails.

So far all the documentation I''ve found has been very confusing &
complicated. I'm a database/ business object guy with very little experience
working with graphics....

So - I'm hoping that someone out there will point me in the correct
direction on how to do this using the GDI+

TIA
Steve

S. Justin Gengo

Steve,

I saw your post.

I just finished creating exactly what you need. A couple of .Net pages that
allow you to convert and upload almost any image to a web server. You can
change image size and quality and then save as a .jpg file. I'm working on
the ability to save as .gif also, but that isn't complete yet.

While I didn't finish the .gif portion yet. The code all works perfectly for
..jpg. I was planning on putting the completed project out on my website and
decided to put it out early for you. Everything on my site is free for
anyone's use.

You can download the project from the code library area of my website,
www.aboutfortunate.com. Just click on the "Code Library" link on the to
right of the page. The code you need is now the first entry in the datagrid.

If you have any questions about the code or getting the project running feel
free to contact me.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Steve Peterson

Yahoo!! Your code, from what I can see (I've only played with it for 10
minutes or so..) is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!!!

Thx
Steve

S. Justin Gengo

Steve,

You emailed me letting me know that I forgot to put the class library
project into the .zip file on my website. I know I already emailed you that
I added it, but I wanted to post that fact here in the forum in case anyone
else downloaded the code.

The .zip file now contains all the source code for the image manipulation
solution.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP