    the updated image for the user to download or print.

    Any ideas please?

    Thanks

    Dundonald, May 19, 2008

  2. Dundonald

    viv Guest

    On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
    > text to certain image templates?  Without going in to too much detail
    > (and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
    > a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
    > their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
    > business card template image at set positions per field then render
    > the updated image for the user to download or print.
    >
    > Any ideas please?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
    class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
    to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
    text on these images.

    Hope this helps,

    Vivien Barousse

    viv, May 19, 2008

  3. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    On 19 May, 21:54, viv <> wrote:
    > On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
    > > text to certain image templates? Without going in to too much detail
    > > (and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
    > > a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
    > > their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
    > > business card template image at set positions per field then render
    > > the updated image for the user to download or print.

    > > Any ideas please?

    > > Thanks

    > Hi,
    >
    > Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
    > class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
    > to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
    > text on these images.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Vivien Barousse

    Vivien I've never had reason to do image manipulation so thanks for
    pointing the tinned up package, I'll check it. I'll report back for
    completeness.

    In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.

    Thanks

    Dundonald, May 19, 2008
  4. Dundonald

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Dundonald wrote:
    > On 19 May, 21:54, viv <> wrote:
    >> On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
    >>> text to certain image templates? Without going in to too much detail
    >>> (and boring you) I have a small number of image templates, for example
    >>> a business card being one of them, that I wish to allow users to enter
    >>> their details on a form and then I want to add those details to my
    >>> business card template image at set positions per field then render
    >>> the updated image for the user to download or print.
    >>> Any ideas please?
    >>> Thanks

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
    >> class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
    >> to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
    >> text on these images.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >>
    >> Vivien Barousse

    > Vivien I've never had reason to do image manipulation so thanks for
    > pointing the tinned up package, I'll check it. I'll report back for
    > completeness.
    >
    > In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.
    >
    > Thanks

    For more sophisticated image manipulation, check out JMagick.

    Daniel Pitts, May 19, 2008
  5. Dundonald

    Mark Space Guest

    Dundonald wrote:
    > On 19 May, 21:54, viv <> wrote:

    >> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage

    > In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.

    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/2d/index.html>

    Covers Image and other graphics classes.

    Mark Space, May 20, 2008
  6. Dundonald

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2008, Dundonald wrote:

    > On 19 May, 21:54, viv <> wrote:
    >> On May 19, 10:39 pm, Dundonald <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> can anyone recommend a good image package that will allow me to add
    >>> text to certain image templates?

    >> Did you tried java.awt.image ? I think you can use the BufferedImage
    >> class to load your image template, and use the method createGraphics()
    >> to get a Graphics2D instance. This object will allow you to put some
    >> text on these images.

    > Vivien I've never had reason to do image manipulation so thanks for
    > pointing the tinned up package, I'll check it. I'll report back for
    > completeness.
    >
    > In the meantime if any other suggestions please pass on.

    Nope, that's pretty much it!

    There are other image-processing libraries for java, but they're more
    oriented towards dealing with all sorts of obscure file formats and doing
    classic image processing like convolution etc. They aren't what you need.

    The one other thing i'd point you at is javax.imageio, which does reading
    and writing of image files. java.awt.image is the way to do the actual
    graphics, though. You go to imageio to load your template, image to get a
    Graphics object, awt to draw on it, then imageio again to write it out.

    tom

    --
    .... which may end up with the women in your office cornering you at the
    office xmas party and taking turns at jamming their bootclad feet into

    Tom Anderson, May 20, 2008