Image onload handler - how to access the image object?

Roger Shrubber

Good day

In an image onload handler, how do I access the image that just loaded?

If the image is attached to the document, I can access it using the field
window.event.srcElement. But I really don't want to attach the image to the
document until it has loaded (I plan to use it to replace an existing visible
low-res version of the same image). The onload handler is called for the
unattached image, but the window.event.srcElement is NULL.

I'm using IE 6.0, but I need a cross-browser solution.

Cheers!

Richard Cornford

Roger Shrubber wrote:
If the image is attached to the document, I can access it using the
field window.event.srcElement. But I really don't want to attach the
image to the document until it has loaded (I plan to use it to
replace an existing visible low-res version of the same image). The
onload handler is called for the unattached image, but the
window.event.srcElement is NULL.

I'm using IE 6.0, but I need a cross-browser solution.

Event handling functions are methods of objects (and are called as
such), in all methods (called as methods) the - this - keyword refers to
the object. So:-

var img = new Image();
img.onload = function(){
document.images['imgName'].src = this.src;
}
img.src = "http://example.com/image.gif";

Richard.