image problem

Paul Watt

Hi guys,
I've got a problem again, pesky css. I have a rounded box for a login. Its a
wrapper div containing three divs stacked on top of each other. In IE its
fine, but in FF the divs are seperated. I've tried IMG{display:block}, I've
tried IMG{vertical align:bottom}. I've set margins to 0, i've set line
height to 0. Now what?

http://www.paulwatt.info/test/supply/

Cheers

Paul Watt

Paul Watt said:
Hi guys,
I've got a problem again, pesky css. I have a rounded box for a login. Its
a wrapper div containing three divs stacked on top of each other. In IE
its fine, but in FF the divs are seperated. I've tried IMG{display:block},
I've tried IMG{vertical align:bottom}. I've set margins to 0, i've set
line height to 0. Now what?

http://www.paulwatt.info/test/supply/

Cheers

Dont worry, sorted it

cheers

Matt Probert

Hi guys,
I've got a problem again, pesky css. I have a rounded box for a login. Its a
wrapper div containing three divs stacked on top of each other. In IE its
fine, but in FF the divs are seperated. I've tried IMG{display:block}, I've
tried IMG{vertical align:bottom}. I've set margins to 0, i've set line
height to 0. Now what?

Have you tried tables?

</gets coat>

Matt

Paul Watt

Ed Mullen said:
Umm, you may have fixed it /somewhere/ but not on the link above. Not for
me in the latest releases of Firefox and SeaMonkey.

fixed on my local copy

paul

axlq

Have you tried tables?

</gets coat>

Actually that's a good suggestion. I see more consistency between
browsers in the way they display tables than the way they handle
CSS. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to give up on CSS for
layout, I'm so disgusted with how IE fails to conform to standards,
and I don't want to litter my pages with ridiculous hacks to
compensate for all the differences.

-A

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, (e-mail address removed) (axlq) vouchsafed:
Actually that's a good suggestion. I see more consistency between
browsers in the way they display tables than the way they handle
CSS. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to give up on CSS for
layout, I'm so disgusted with how IE fails to conform to standards,
and I don't want to litter my pages with ridiculous hacks to
compensate for all the differences.

Tables can be quite a pain, too. And the standards exist for the primary
reason (-whether the w3c realizes it or not) of making all (general web)
browsers work the same with the same markup. We're parsecs from that
utopean goal which will probably never be reached, but wouldn't it be nice
if you had something like a 98% level of confidence that some splotch of
markup would work identically in all browsers?

Css will evolve. I wouldn't give up too quickly.

Rob_W

axlq schreef:
Matt Probert <Via Usenet ONLY> wrote: [snipped]
Have you tried tables?

</gets coat>

Actually that's a good suggestion. I see more consistency between
browsers in the way they display tables than the way they handle
CSS. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to give up on CSS for
layout, I'm so disgusted with how IE fails to conform to standards,
and I don't want to litter my pages with ridiculous hacks to
compensate for all the differences.

-A

If you have to apply hacks, it will be in the stylesheet.
That means you don't have to litter your pages.

Rob

axlq

axlq schreef:

If you have to apply hacks, it will be in the stylesheet.
That means you don't have to litter your pages.

That's not quite true. Try making a CSS-only drop-down menu
(without using Javascript) that works the same under IE and other
browsers. All the examples I have seen required conditional markup
hacks in the document, as well as separate stylesheets for IE.

An excellent example of a cross-browser non-javascript CSS-only
drop-down menu is here:
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html

It's quite nicely done, but it does require hacks in both CSS and
HTML.

-A

kchayka

axlq said:
That's not quite true. Try making a CSS-only drop-down menu

And why would I even want to? Those things are a PITA to use - I
wouldn't want any of my users to suffer with them.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, making them with CSS instead of JS does
*not* automatically make them more accessible.